Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

The Job Interview Scam

Apparently I had been to several of those without knowing it ,however, I sensed something was really wrong and uncomfortable yet the companies were legitimate and well known. How could this be??

Pretty pathetic is what I say.

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-27-2009 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 04:37 PM

Do you hiring managers have an opinion on this?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
I am curious as to what kind of vital information they wanted to pick your brains for.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:27 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Well, I read the article and it appeared to be a little loopey itself. Why? Because once you enter a field, particularly your niche of a field, you will begin to realize how small it is and how many people know each other or are known by name. The planet is very small once you have been at it long enough.

I think if you have done your homework on a company, even looked it up on your state's dot gov. site, checked out its finanical solvency, checked if it is up to date on its taxes and looked at any complaint history with the Better business bureau, then you should know if the company is a scam company or not.

If you have the expertise, then you should know who your natural customers are.. i would think.

However, i do know that government sites, particularly the IMF and the World Bank are warning people not to give out their information to gov.sounding email inquiries, since they are scammers, trying to get your information.

Personally, I have had this happen with paypal and ebay. I never respond. If there is a problem, I will go on to the proper website, WITHOUT clicking on their link, some nobody has sent me, claiming to be paypal or ebay.

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The Job Interview Scam

Apparently I had been to several of those without knowing it ,however, I sensed something was really wrong and uncomfortable yet the companies were legitimate and well known. How could this be??

Pretty pathetic is what I say.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM

I don't think you two read the article.

It said once you go in for the interview they start probing you for answers that they will later use in their company. They are not really interested in you or hiring you or giving you any type of credit. It's a fake interview. They are using you for information not money. It is that type of scam. Get it now?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Let me try to break it down for you:
- the article is about interviewers that are 'using you for information'
- you said in your first post that you had been on several of these interviews
- I was curious as to what kind of information they were looking for from you

Get it?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:05 PM

Why should I tell you.

My OP was asking you for your opinions on this subject matter. Get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Let me try to break it down for you:
- the article is about interviewers that are 'using you for information'
- you said in your first post that you had been on several of these interviews
- I was curious as to what kind of information they were looking for from you

Get it?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 PM

You don't have to tell me anything. It's just a little odd that you would bring it up on a public forum then refuse to talk about it, unless, of course, you really hadn't been in a position to have employers grill you for vital industry information.

I just wanted to clear up your obvious misconception that I didn't read the article.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 PM

Something tells me you are prying for information here.

Some questions include:

"What are your plans to bring our company financial profits?"

"What merchandise do you think this target audience will be purchasing for the summer?"

"How do you organize a busy work load?"

"How do you handle unethical situation/circumstances"?

- Leave us more than five references.

- All the while having a haughty, irate, and arrogant demeanor.

^ None of the questions had anything to do with the actual job or tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
You don't have to tell me anything. It's just a little odd that you would bring it up on a public forum then refuse to talk about it, unless, of course, you really hadn't been in a position to have employers grill you for vital industry information.

I just wanted to clear up your obvious misconception that I didn't read the article.

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-28-2009 at 08:37 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search