Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:01 AM

1,006 posts, read 735,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
1) Accounting as I'm working on an accounting designation (CA)
2) Banking ...I know the economy sucks but being a banker wld boost my ego
3) I find myself struggling with numbers. If I could I would go to law school but I'm too old & besides I moved to a non-English speaking country.
Never too old for law school. There is currently 3 women in their upper 40's at UH here in Houston pursuing pre-med. They are not even in med school yet. Never too old, just too late and thats when you die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
Could you say you were a waitress instead?
yes that is the trick. Lots of people do waiting while in school. Just say you were working as a waitress for 10 years or whatever.

Oh yea and if you were making the, "big bucks" I am sure you are pretty well of by now, ie own your own home, paid off cars and what not.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Never too old for law school. There is currently 3 women in their upper 40's at UH here in Houston pursuing pre-med. They are not even in med school yet. Never too old, just too late and thats when you die.
I agree. I have a friend who is 49 and just got her BA and is now studying for the LSAT's.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
I would not list the gentleman's clubs at all on your resume (and say you were a bartender or cocktail waitress) as they will call to verify employment and they will say you were a contract dancer.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:05 AM

326 posts, read 880,752 times
Thanks guys. Really appreciated!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:54 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
She asked for job search advice not a sermon. There is a religion forum for that and besides.....isn't the saying "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" yet the Bible says we are all supposedly sinners? Get over yourself and your "faith" <snicker>.
tluv00 - I have every right here to give my religious viewpoint of the situation. And I'm not a saint either. But what are you? An atheist that can't tolerate a religious viewpoint?

I'm not bit ching on her from a religious hot seat, I'm just saying it as it is... because some companies are "ethical" and wouldn't want to hire a former stripper, the same way some companies just don't tolerate felons like me! And I do beleive in GOD and in my viewpoint I think GOD is punishing her, so I have every right to say this here.

Besides, look at her other posts where she's trying to be a gold digger and marry a millionaire / billionaire but she's PREGNANT. So maybe she's a pretty woman with LOW CHARACTER! Yeah, stripping and being a gold digger and premarital sex is low character - just had to say it as it is. She's gotta convert and go to GOD!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,214 times
See if you can find example projects you can do on your own or research. Create a portfolio of sample work that would demonstrate your ability to think and solve problems. Spend a lot of time reading, learning about your field, learn about the company (take several months to do this). Learn peoples names by joining local network groups, [url=http://www.LinkedIn.com]LinkedIn: Relationships Matter[/url] etc. Then on your resume list skills and assets your have that are supported by your self made portfolio. Start learning how to conduct an informational interview with professionals to learn more about your work and just learn but do not push the job opportunity with them. You will find something with time and keep that part time job and volunteer in area your are interested and learn about people. Use the people skills you developed and connect with the decent professional crowd you want to be a part of. Lies will not get you far.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
I'm 31yrs old. The only job I have ever done is dance/strip. Initially the plan was to strip, pay for school, graduate with no student loans & quit right after graduation.

However, while everybody else I went to school with was doing internships & working minimum wage etc I was dancing & making the big bucks. As a result, when I finally graduated with an average GPA, I had zero work experience & no one could hire me.

There are serious gaps in my resume. How do I explain all those years of dancing? How do I even come up with a resume if I have never worked? So far I have a "fake" resume & obviously its getting me rejected. I have been actively looking for a job for 4yrs. I'm ready to do internships, even that's not happening. No one is giving me a chance. Out of frustration, I have since been working on a CA (chartered accountant). I need that first good job! But how?
If it were me, I would go to grad school (law school, MBA, whatever) to deal with gaps. You're not too old and it will only take a couple of years. While you're in school volunteer, work with profs, participate in projects. If you cannot get a paid TA or RA position with a prof, then offer to do so for free. When you're finished, find a contract gig and keep contracting until you land a permanent position.

I was a street performer for a long time. It's not something I put on my resume. My resume begins with my academic career to present. Maybe I was lucky, but I didn't have a hard time finding a job out of college.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:44 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Ideally an internship would be best. But even that has been impossible to come by.

Finding an internship is always possible. You just have to be flexible. Take some accounting classes and do accounting contract work, do the first few for free, to get some references.

Intern with the peace corps or Africa or South America, intern doing media work, etc...

Volunteer here with the red cross, salvaton army, library, they all need office workers.

Get a temp. job. They hire highschool students with no experience, so they should hire you. Just say you were a housewife.
Do filing/typing for the first six months. Then move up.

I don't think you are thinking creative enough.

Tons of people get jobs with no experience.

But if you are trying to get a project management or underwriter internhsip thru harvard internsips, then obviously you will lose.

go after the attainable and build from there!!

good luck!

p.s. lots of small business people just want you to show up on time and have some skills and dont' steal or make them lose customers. They have often hired me with no refernences.
Try to climb the hill first, and save the mountain for another day. Crawl first, before you can run or run someone's business. Be humble in your first job!!

p.p.s. I went to a prestigious school in Oregon with a girl who did this to put her way through school. Hopefully, she stopped when she graduated.

Last edited by gea12345; 05-10-2009 at 05:56 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 06:54 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
I have a degree in Economics also and it is very hard to find a first job with no experience. I took a temp job, gained some experience and then moved to a permanent job. I am not where I want to be but if you could land a job as a junior financial analyst with no experience, that would be the best thing to do.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh but if I was a CEO or hiring manager, I would NOT hire an ex stripper. I don't care how much people try to say it is OK but strippers usually with almost no exception are very messed up people(almost always have some history of sexual abuse or come from very dysfunctional families). I have never found a "normal" person who chose this line of work and it also says a lot about a person's character, morals and values. Obviously, in order for someone to be a stripper, you have to have a very manipulative type of personality. Basically, for every ex-stripper, there are 9 people out there with a "normal" background. I hope you regret choosing this line of work but I have very little sympathy for those who chose the "easy money" way. It says a lot about a person's character!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search