Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times

Advertisements

double post.

Last edited by slim04; 04-29-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
One Man, who came off as quite impressive in the interviews, scored incredibly high on tests for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook and Publisher. In fact he scored 100 percent in all tests. The agency says there are very few people out there that can score at 100 in such a wide variety of Microsoft Office tests. They only see it once or twice a year.
I've seen candidates like this before. From what I remember, they don't last long because they realize that they are more intelligent than the people they are working for and eventually apply to law or business school.

For an administrative assistant, you need someone who is competent with those applications (though not necessarily Access) and comfortable using them, but not necessarily know every little feature. You want someone who is organized, diligent, responsible, loyal, someone that can put up with your quirks, and someone you can get along with.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 AM

496 posts, read 941,138 times
Yea, I don't take these posts as discouraging. I personally figure that any ol place that 'scriminates on age, sex, race, employment status, etc. is definitely going to get spanked if they hire me. And I don't like to be violent, so it's just best if we see each other once and say farewell.

The only problem with the logic is that we all need jobs. I just think that as long as we're all putting forward a good faith effort, it's gonna happen. I have faith in the universe. None of the news or recession crap dents it. It'll all be ok. *stroke stroke* *pat pat*

Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Do you think (if this story is true) that maybe men do not like the idea of bossy other men around? Hey, Murray get me a coffee? Or hey Mary get me the Jones file?

Men are used to bossing woman around. Other men, not so much, especially in office situations. However, there are male clerks, purchasing agents, accountants/assistant accountants.

I think most people prefer women as administrative assistants. It's a more comprehensive term for 'secretary' anyhow...(I have been one several times and all I can tell is you get more responsibility and work than a secretary..)

Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
I see your less than glowing point Slim04, but everyone who is an administrative assistant/secretrary is not low functioning or less intelligent.

You will be suprised at how many administrative assistants/secretaries who have not one degree but two degrees!!

For example, i worked with one at the Portland Ombudsmans' office. She finished law school and decided that it was not for her and became an Admin! A good Admin. is worth his/her weight in gold and both parties try to get along..the employer with the admin and the admin with the employer. it is not a one way street.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I see your less than glowing point Slim04, but everyone who is an administrative assistant/secretrary is not low functioning or less intelligent.

You will be suprised at how many administrative assistants/secretaries who have not one degree but two degrees!!

For example, i worked with one at the Portland Ombudsmans' office. She finished law school and decided that it was not for her and became an Admin! A good Admin. is worth his/her weight in gold and both parties try to get along..the employer with the admin and the admin with the employer. it is not a one way street.
One of my best friends is an administrative assistant and has her MBA. She makes six figures.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post

For example, i worked with one at the Portland Ombudsmans' office. She finished law school and decided that it was not for her and became an Admin! A good Admin. is woth his/her weight in gold and both parties try to get along..the employer with the admin and the admin with the employer. it is not a one way street.
Actually every secretary that I've had at least a degree, some with master's degrees. Most are probably more intelligent than me. The main difference is that they are mostly focused on family, stable hours, and a less stressful lifestyle. The really ambition, go-getters (both male and female) never stick around because they can tell they can easily do what I'm doing and get paid a lot more if they go to grad school.

If a person knows the ins and outs of MS Access, I'd be real surprised that person couldn't find a higher paying job elsewhere or become a IT, financial, or accounting professional with a little more education.

It's just one of those risk v. reward things. They might stick around and become a superstar employee, or quit in 6 months. My firm actually gets a lot of resumes from ivy-leaguers that have terrific computer and writing skills and would probably make terrific admin. assistants. However, we know that this is a just a temporary stop prior to grad school, so we prefer candidates that want to do it more long term and its a significant factor in our decision making.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I've seen candidates like this before. From what I remember, they don't last long because they realize that they are more intelligent than the people they are working for and eventually apply to law or business school.

For an administrative assistant, you need someone who is competent with those applications (though not necessarily Access) and comfortable using them, but not necessarily know every little feature. You want someone who is organized, diligent, responsible, loyal, someone that can put up with your quirks, and someone you can get along with.
I fought long and hard for the male applicant. I was part of the panel that interviewed the candidates and we all voted on the best applicant. He seemed very organized, diligent, responsible, loyal and efficient. His professional references were great and was doing a similar job for an executive who had been laid off at another similar company. He knew many other software packages that he was not tested for. He knew our industry and seemed personable. But Bonnie, the women that was hired looked like a fashion model and had that image the executive was looking for.

Why do I tell this story? To provide feedback to the people who are top notch candidates who have incredible skills and are still not hired. I see the less qualified person not hired countless times. It is very helpful if you are young, pretty and have a nice smile and personality.

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 04-29-2009 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
Quote:
I fought long and hard for the male applicant. I was part of the panel that interviewed the candidates and we all voted on the best applicant. He seemed very organized, diligent, responsible, loyal and efficient. His professional references were great and was doing a similar job for an executive who had been laid off at another similar company. He knew our industry and seemed personable. But Bonnie, the women that was hired looked like a fashion model and had that image the executive was looking for.

Why do I tell this story? To provide feedback to the people who are top notch candidates who have incredible skills and are still not hired. I see the less qualified person not hired countless times. It is very helpful if you are young, pretty and have a nice smile and personality.
Ok, man, my edjew-ma-kay-shun juz aint whut et uzed tu bee. howe diz zpose two be hepfool? eye beein da oder pursen heara anau eyez jez dun kno howin diz goin tu bein hepful tu me 2day.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:14 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Okay, well then tell the whole story...we can understand both sides. Don't just dangle....

good luck!

Quote:
I fought long and hard for the male applicant. I was part of the panel that interviewed the candidates and we all voted on the best applicant. He seemed very organized, diligent, responsible, loyal and efficient. His professional references were great and was doing a similar job for an executive who had been laid off at another similar company. He knew our industry and seemed personable. But Bonnie, the women that was hired looked like a fashion model and had that image the executive was looking for.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search