Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times

Advertisements

Here's a question for all fellow Baby-Boomers: When job-hunting, how far back do you go when listing jobs on your resume?

Obviously most of us have job histories that began in the mid to late 1960s (if we didn't go to college right out of high school) or early 1970s (if we did go). Which means a good 40 years or so. And other than those who stayed with their first employer (does anyone even do that anymore?) we all probably have a large assortment of job experiences we acquired over that time.

As you know, it's illegal to ask a job applicant their age but obviously if the applicant lists jobs dating back to the 1960s/1970s it's pretty darn apparant how old the person is.

When I was job-hunting in the early 1990s and could have been taken for someone in their early 40s rather than early 50s, I simply left off the first few jobs that I had after graduating from high school. I would have liked to include them but was very hesitant because of the "age discrimination" which we all know is pretty rampant in the job market.

How far back do you normally take your resume? Or do you pick and choose only the jobs that you had over the last 40 years that are most relevant to the kind of work you're now seeking? If so, how do you account for the "missing" years?

I've done the latter and simply said that I was working as a freelance writer/editor during the "blanks", which is not a lie because I was in fact doing exactly that in addition to the fulltime jobs that I held.

Just wondering how other Baby Boomers are handling the question of how far back to go on their resumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I'm a tale end boomer and go back about 10 years on my resume.

Last edited by annerk; 05-05-2009 at 08:40 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 AM

295 posts, read 1,179,151 times
Hi there,

As a general rule of thumb - go back 10 years on your resume. That is unless there is really relevant work experience that you want to include for a specific job that you are applying for.

Also, remember to not put dates on any education that you include on your resume.

Hope that helps a little and good luck on your search!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Default Resume

I graduated from college in 1978 and I usually take my resume all the way back to then because my first job (which lasted 5-6 years) was the only one that really was a "professional" job and related to my major. Otherwise, I might only go back 10 years or so, I don't know.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
I have a skills resume that has no dates only the skills and projects I've worked on. If they want a chrono they will ask for it and I only give them 10 years with a summary of anything beyond that if it relates to the job position.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I'm not a boomer, but if I had to list EVERY job I've had in the past ten years--I'd go nuts. Some places aren't even in business anymore, at least not under the same owner. Managers/supervisors leave the company, or at least the location. And I held MULTIPLE jobs at the same time. There were a few years I was working two jobs. I've worked three jobs before--I'm supposed to keep them all straight after the fact? No way!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm not a boomer, but if I had to list EVERY job I've had in the past ten years--I'd go nuts. Some places aren't even in business anymore, at least not under the same owner. Managers/supervisors leave the company, or at least the location. And I held MULTIPLE jobs at the same time. There were a few years I was working two jobs. I've worked three jobs before--I'm supposed to keep them all straight after the fact? No way!
I don't list p/t seasonal type jobs I've had, there's just no reason to. I do list one p/t retail job I held because I was there for five years, I was a keyholder, and the employer is well known and respected.

What type of work are you in that you've hopped jobs so much?

Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 PM

I've worked for grocery stores, etc. I'm amazed I've worked for this company for five years, usually I get tired of the job or my coworkers after six months to a year, and look for another job. But I've worked at gas stations and restaraunts. A year ago, I've continued working overnights, and got hired on for management at a grocery store, and fit in an inventory counting job also, when I could. Still had the inventory job when tax season started. Three jobs at once.

Down to one now though.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 PM

Most retail/hourly type employers like the ones you have been working for only want your last three employers on the application, so needing 10 years for a resume is moot.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:21 AM

Sure, but do I list those times where I was working multiple jobs at the same time, or leave that part off? When I worked for the grocery, and held on to my overnight job, I was working two full time jobs at once, and trying to fit the third job in there when I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search