Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 02:23 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,271 times

Advertisements

So I've started this job I really don't like at Safelite. I'm a customer service representative, and I've been here for two weeks. Just recently a HR Associate Service position has opened up and I qualify for it. I've been trying to get into HR so badly for 8 months but have been turned down.

At Safelite, they say we can apply to any internal position after 3-6 months. I've been here less than a month but I really want this position. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 03:00 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
Nothing. You need to wait the given time and thats a pretty quick turnaround time. I know what Safelite does, I know thats not a fun job but you have to wait.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 PM

151 posts, read 162,740 times
Wait, and wait at the very least 6 months. I am sorry, but it doesn't look good that you start a job in a company and a few weeks later apply to another one within a period of a month being there. Looks bad at all and I think you would lose a lot of trust. More harm than good IMO.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:46 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,271 times
Okay. Haha, I'll talk to my job coach about my goals though.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
I would apply, what is the worst that can happen?

My last job I got in January, then in April I got another position that is higher. Now there is another higher position that I told my boss I'm interested because it uses more of my skills and knowledge, more responsibility, and more pay. He said he understands and I'm glad he does.

If nothing comes from it, it's fine, and if something comes from it, great. My boss is happy with me anyways so I'm not worried about not being loyal, if anything I can argue one reason why I'm going for the position is to have more of my skills put to good use for the company.

I'd apply. Rules can be broken in terms of the best candidate.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:35 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
If the policy is to wait at least 6 months they would automatically reject your application anyway. Generally these things are enforced by the companies policy. Another position will open up eventually. Just put in your work. A good work ethic goes a long way, if you can make a good impression, perhaps you'll get a good reference from your current boss. That helps a lot when applying for positions. So if I were you I would make the best of the situation for right now. 6 months really isn't a long time honestly. So you may need to calm down, sit still, and just do your job before you get yourself fired

Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullocity View Post
Wait, and wait at the very least 6 months. I am sorry, but it doesn't look good that you start a job in a company and a few weeks later apply to another one within a period of a month being there. Looks bad at all and I think you would lose a lot of trust. More harm than good IMO.
I agree. It's good to want to move up, but if they have restrictions on how long you have to be in a position, they might not even consider you. Being a CSR can suck, trust me I did it too! However, put in the required time, do a great job and that way it can help improve your chances in the future.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:12 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
Do it in a generalized way that you want to advance your career. Dont mention the particular job posting you saw.

6 months is not a long time and it would probably be good to get a feel of the business and what the work is like on the lower levels.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
Do that. Husband did the same thing and they let him apply and gave him the new position.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search