Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:48 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times

Advertisements

Yes I will and have done it before. In fact, I think I am the primary reason my friend got the job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 07:15 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,991 times
No. You might as well go ahead and let for future employer know you are dishonest. Put it on your resume. Lies are like the domino effect, and can come back to haunt you in the most interesting ways. Disclaimer: Hubby is in Exec HR

Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Because, at the time, I was out of work for a number of months and the last company I worked for was sold with no reference to put down, I had a friend of mine help me "fake" a company and she was the owner/my boss. I sent her a copy of my resume showing her fake/false company that I worked for. Her company replaced the company that I didn't use. Actually, I stated that she closed her company (I was laid off) due to a fall/surgery she had. The part of this "fakeness" that was true is that she REALLY did have a fall at her job (apartment manager) and had to have surgery that kept her from returning to her position again.
She knew exactly what to say because we went over it. Thing is, my next employer didn't even call her for a reference!
Would I recommend doing this, not really. BUT, sometimes a person has to do what they have to do! At the time, I needed to do this and she was willing to help me. Would I do this for a friend? Yes, if they really needed it done.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:01 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
No way, especially since I'm a licensed person.
I did give a reference for a guy who got his RN at age 61, and got screwed over in his first job (at my place of employment). I saw his work for those three months and thought he'd done very very well as a new person in learning and knew his supervisor to be an A-1 psychbitch, so I offered him a reference with the understanding that I'd be clear about how long I'd seen him work.I did give him a reference shortly thereafter for a temp agency (explaining that I thought his supervisor had given him a raw deal, but being clear about the briefness of our contact) and then I gave a reference for a permanent job soon thereafter. A year or so later, I got another call for a reference, and declined, explaining that it had been too long ago and that he'd had other jobs since then. I did wonder if something was askew, if he was still using me as a reference.
Also, friends are personal connections. How much do we really know about them as workers? A dear friend of mine turned up to have a drug/alcohol problem that I hadn't been aware of until it got a lot worse. Etc.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
No. You might as well go ahead and let for future employer know you are dishonest. Put it on your resume. Lies are like the domino effect, and can come back to haunt you in the most interesting ways. Disclaimer: Hubby is in Exec HR

You might be right, but I've never heard of anyone getting caught or how that would happen. And it does work. Its not fair to demand something from an applicant that they dont have and automatically be dismissed for not having that. That demand and the fear of rejection makes that happen. Give the person a chance at least. Doesn't say much for the company in any case if they just go by a voice on the phone anyway. Until they come up with a better system, thats pretty much what people have to do and will do.

Read some of these people's reasons in the other posts and tell me that these people had much other choice? You can't just stay unemployed or flip burgers the rest of your life because you didn't wanna do whatever it took to get a job to support your family. If anything it shows a bit of resourcefulness. Dishonest, yes, but dishonest out of desperate neccessity.

Last edited by Jackyfrost01; 11-01-2008 at 05:01 PM..

Old 11-01-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Wait. Did you WORK with this friend? If not, I wouldn't recommend "lying"--it would be dishonorable. And telling other people you were his boss...I'd frown on that too.

But if you WORKED with him, you can still be a professional reference and talk about his work habits in an informed manner. Otherwise, I'd tell anyone who called that you are merely a PERSONAL reference who has known the candidate for X years.
I would too, if there was a possibility they could find out. Otherwise, why bother. You'll live with your guilt just fine after you cash that 1st paycheck

Old 11-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Yes I will and have done it before. In fact, I think I am the primary reason my friend got the job!
lol Way back when I got myself hired being my own reference (under another name and number of course)

Old 11-03-2008, 11:54 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Nope, I won't lie for anyone. When I asked my friends and prior employers for references I call them and give them a "heads up" that I'm looking and what type of job I'm looking for.

I have a personal friend who I use as a reference and state she is such but she also calls me regularly about advanced questions on MS software and I help her out so she can verify my advanced knowledge.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I would too, if there was a possibility they could find out. Otherwise, why bother. You'll live with your guilt just fine after you cash that 1st paycheck
The friend's the one getting the job...

what's in it for you? ah...nothing.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:05 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
To those of you who disagree with me: in the military, you had no peers who would speak on your behalf? For the one self employed, you had no collegues to speak on your behalf? Did you network at all? Did you have long standing customers who could speak for you? I have several family members who are self employed, and I don't see how that is an excuse to not have some sort of reference.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I can't believe anyone could be so isolated from the rest of the world. And if one is, I would wonder how well he or she will adjust to being back in the workforce, dealing with people (coworkers, customers, etc.) every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search