U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:36 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,462,953 times

Advertisements

...and what a surprise...

I had my friend call up my old boss yesterday afternoon and he said he wouldn't hire me back (why, I have not a clue). He also said my position was cut due to job performance (again, not true. HR said my position was one of those eliminated due to downsizing, and was always given glowing reviews). So after hearing this, I called up the VP of HR and she said she can be used as the reference, but all she can do is verify years employed and beginning/ending salary.

Will this prove to be a negative against me since I am now just giving HR as a reference?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 02:12 PM

364 posts, read 1,518,848 times
Might look a little weird if you're unwilling to provide your former boss's name as a reference.

If I were you, I'd call him up immediately after hearing that he lied and lay into him. That's ridiculous.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Might look a little weird if you're unwilling to provide your former boss's name as a reference.

If I were you, I'd call him up immediately after hearing that he lied and lay into him. That's ridiculous.
Before I lay into anyone, I am trying to figure out if using the VP would be the better idea. She is very kind and I interacted with her on a very regular basis. This woman said if it's an issue, just state that it's company policy to direct all reference checks straight to HR to avoid what this guy (my former boss) would say.

This was a hostile takeover and a lot of egos were damaged and a ton of backstabbing went down as the power struggle played itself out.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,416,686 times
If the conversation wasn't recorded, it's his word against your friends. He'll just say he didn't say it. Reference checks normally do go thru HR

Old 05-09-2009, 03:51 PM

2,364 posts, read 10,852,408 times
If the end goal is to get around the obstacle, your ex-boss and win the job, then you appear to have won the touch down.

Definitely, don't get into a verbal battle with your ex-boss, since that will tie the hands of the H.R. person and you will be sunk.

If you are in an industry where talking to the team supervisor is the norm or you work in a niche industry, then have your attorney don the boxing gloves. Not you.

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Before I lay into anyone, I am trying to figure out if using the VP would be the better idea. She is very kind and I interacted with her on a very regular basis. This woman said if it's an issue, just state that it's company policy to direct all reference checks straight to HR to avoid what this guy (my former boss) would say.

This was a hostile takeover and a lot of egos were damaged and a ton of backstabbing went down as the power struggle played itself out.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
If the conversation wasn't recorded, it's his word against your friends. He'll just say he didn't say it. Reference checks normally do go thru HR
Thanks for the answers so far, everyone. So you don't see this as a problem if the reference goes straight to the VP of HR?

Old 05-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answers so far, everyone. So you don't see this as a problem if the reference goes straight to the VP of HR?

No! It really depends on your industry, and we don't know what that is....

If it is regular office job, then they will probably be satisfied with H.R.

If it is a team type job, then they will probably want another reference of someone who can attest to your team building abilities, project completion abilities, lalaldalalda

Old 05-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
No! It really depends on your industry, and we don't know what that is....

If it is regular office job, then they will probably be satisfied with H.R.

If it is a team type job, then they will probably want another reference of someone who can attest to your team building abilities, project completion abilities, lalaldalalda
I was doing market research, sales support, qualifying leads, and trade shows for a small software company.

It really was just an ordinary office job with a presentation every now and again. Not much in the way of project lead or team building.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I was doing market research, sales support, qualifying leads, and trade shows for a small software company.

It really was just an ordinary office job with a presentation every now and again. Not much in the way of project lead or team building.

Of course, it would help if you have someone who will rave about you. If you don't I would definitely do some volunteer work while you are on unemployment. Hopefully, this was not your only job for the past 8 years.
Wells Fargo does that. There are many companies that give out only bare details.

good luck and hopefully soon, congratulations.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Of course, it would help if you have someone who will rave about you. If you don't I would definitely do some volunteer work while you are on unemployment. Hopefully, this was not your only job for the past 8 years.
Wells Fargo does that. There are many companies that give out only bare details.

good luck and hopefully soon, congratulations.
Lol unfortunately, this was my only job, but I moved around a lot as the company grew from a start up to a mid market competitor.

When I got laid off, I immediately started volunteering for the Alzheimer's foundation and I am doing more true marketing (which I love) for them. I already have two great references lined up from that organization. It's just my ex-boss rattled me with a less than stellar reference.

Maybe I can use a real estate broker in NYC that I help with doing marketing best practices and neighborhood demographic shifts?

This will give me three good references and one reference from HR at my old company. Am I over thinking this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search