Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,535 times

Advertisements

I gave you rep points. She will sit down and give a firm figure on how many hours it will take to complete the resume after discussing what needs to be done. In some cases, the document is almost ready for distribution and just needs a quick edit and in others the person does not know where to start and alot of hand holding and work is necessary before the resume is complete. That is why she does not want to charge one fee for resume preparation.

I paid to have my house painted by the hour, what a mistake, they milked the job. So I relate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Agreed about the flat rate comment. Per hour just seems like it could go on ad infinitum...

If her market consists of students... they are used to a lengthy revision process. Their idea of critique could also hold negative connotations.

Also, I'm not sure of her age... or her familiarity with the current job market outside of a certain field... but so MANY applications are online or computer based that resumes are often unnecessary. It could be that these students aren't applying to jobs in a field where a resume is the standard.

I wish more jobs would accept something as simple as a resume... but even retail stores like Target and Wal-Mart have electronic applications that serve to build the resume. Some large colleges/universities will allow a spot to upload documents... but that is never in lieu of the electronic application.

She needs to retool her own marketing of her services to better fit her desired client base. Honestly, that lack of judgment makes me question whether or not she is qualified to be offering these services. I say this because the absolute most important concept a job coach can convey is that the client has to be able to sell their qualifications...

No offense meant to your friend/colleague... I'm sure she has a lot of great skills. I just wonder if they are appropriate for this particular population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 05:42 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Doesn't this college have a career services office? Most colleges have offices staffed with career counselors who will help students with resumes. The cost for this is bundled with the tuition and student services fees so the students have already paid for it.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Doesn't this college have a career services office? Most colleges have offices staffed with career counselors who will help students with resumes. The cost for this is bundled with the tuition and student services fees so the students have already paid for it.
Unfortunately I had to read a number of these "results" lately.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Let's face it: if you can't even put together your own resume, don't you think it's going to work against you?
Putting together a resume and putting together a GREAT resume are two different things. Anyone can Google (well almost anyone) a template or "how to" and make subtle changes to create a resume. The problem is that 99.9% of those templates and how to pages are overly generic, boring and everyone uses them.

Also, not creating a resume from scratch on your own will be a detriment come interview time. You don't have the same passion, your resume is not truly your own and a true professional is able to answer questions about their resume without having to go back and scan over it because they lived the experiences and successes they put down.

Anyone can create an outline of what they have been doing at work for the past whatever amount of time. It's about making the person hiring for the job give a damn about it.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Anyone who needs help in having their resume done is not that employable to begin with. I created my own resume and made tweaks when I felt it was necessary. So I don't think no one should pay for a resume service
Are you that ignorant, or just plain stupid?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I teach classes in an Administrative Support Certificate program at a local college. Coming from a Recruiting and Human Resources background, I teach about careers and job hunting skills. The students are required to take my class(es) as part of the program. The students mostly come from an immigrant background or are recent High School Graduates.

I volunteer to help as many students as possible with their resume. It is rewarding and frustrating at the same time. Even though there is countless books and Internet sites showing how to write a resume, most of the students resumes that they had been sending to potential employers, before I met them, were just terrible.

I can not help everyone for FREE, so I have hired a woman who comes off as really friendly and helpful. She is an expert in writing, editing, a certified resume writer, a professional recruiter and quite an impressive individual. She has attended my classes and made a pitch for the students to hire her to help them edit and improve their resumes. So far she has spoken in a class room setting to over 50 students. She has lowered her price to $20 an hour. So far not one student (all who are currently job hunting) has hired her to help with their resume.

I understand that the unemployed are broke, but with a poor resume you will be unemployed alot longer. You have to spend money to make money. If you got a job one day sooner you would pay off the cost of the professional resume review immediately.

She has had very little success selling her sideline business editing people's resumes using a variety of other marketing techniques and audiences.

You would think that the resume writing/job search support business is booming. But people just are not interested.

(She does not write people's resumes, she edits them and gives them advice on improving the document)

Why is there such little interest from people who are job hunting to have a professional look at their resumes for a second opinion for such a small amount of money? Would you ever consider having someone (other than a friend) look at your resume for a small cost? Why or why not?
Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy, The "Weakened Traveler" is sTrolling again, YOU are going to teach, and help people? hmmm, I mean I understand this is an informal, conversational forum, yet, we are on the topic of Professional Resume writing, am I correct?
The students mostly come from an immigrant background or are recent High School Graduates.
The kind of jobs they apply for, they don't need a Resume, just an application filled out, manual labor type stuff, I'm not stereotyping, I'm being realistic, what would they put on a Resume?:
Even though there is (s/b are) countless books and Internet sites showing how to write a resume, most of the students(') resumes that they had been sending to potential employers, before I met them, were just terrible.

Quote:
She has attended my classes and made a pitch for the students to hire her to help them edit and improve their resumes. So far she has spoken in a class room setting to over 50 students. She has lowered her price to $20 an hour. So far not one student (all who are currently job hunting) has hired her to help with their resume.
The fact that you let her come into your classroom, and try to sell to your students is illegal, and duress. Whether its a private college or a public university, and since you state its a local college, with underprivileged students I will assume its a community college, ergo, public, which makes what you are talking about a federal offense. Therefore you are guilty of conspiracy and fraud, as well as unethical use of a public position of power. So, under professional duress these students are urged to use the services recommended by your subcontractor, which you brought into the classroom. hmmmm, We got us a big lawsuit here. Now you is in Fairfax Virginia there I hear. hmmm, I needs to start calling all the community colleges and see which one it is got a Jerry or Jane teaching an Admin Support class, cause we got us a Class Action suit just waiting to bubble over.
Gea, I rest my case.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Are you that ignorant, or just plain stupid?
That's what I believe Big Time

Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
That's what I believe Big Time
Please, since we all can't be so knowledgeable and gifted as you, some people do need help writing a resume, and I would bet money that they are far from bottom of the barrel type of people.

Some of the things you type are just mind blowing.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Please, since we all can't be so knowledgeable and gifted as you, some people do need help writing a resume, and I would bet money that they are far from bottom of the barrel type of people.

Some of the things you type are just mind blowing.
I can't see someone who is trying to get an administrative position or any other professional job needing resume help AFTER college. College teaches you how to think so that's why I feel the way I do.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I can't see someone who is trying to get an administrative position or any other professional job needing resume help AFTER college. College teaches you how to think so that's why I feel the way I do.
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe some of these people have been in the same job for so long that this can be all new to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search