Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 05:17 AM

173 posts, read 968,145 times

Advertisements

This question can also be targeted for those folks that do contract or project work.

But how do you list a band new job, position or contract on your resume?

Do you just list your duties and contributions, unless of course you have already have major accomplishments during the course of your short tenure there?

This would be out of line with the rest of my resume that lists my major accomplishments for my past positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:51 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
If the current job/project is that brand-new, I would put it in the cover letter, but not in the resume. After maybe 30 days, then I'd add it into the resume.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post
This question can also be targeted for those folks that do contract or project work.

But how do you list a brand new job, position or contract on your resume?

Do you just list your duties and contributions, unless of course you have already have major accomplishments during the course of your short tenure there?
I don't know what else you could do. It would just have to read something like "I will be doing thus and such and this and that" rather than "I have accomplished x, y and z." But why put it on your resume so soon anyway? Are you still looking for something better?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post

But how do you list a band new job, position or contract on your resume?

This would be out of line with the rest of my resume that lists my major accomplishments for my past positions.
Hi Iarch!

Well, the easiest answer from my point of view, is to just copy your last job's format and then change the appropriate data. Meaning just add, the next job, if there is room on that 1.5 page resume. This depends on whether you have a chronology or functional resume.

But in these competitive times, I would look at the job description for your Ideal job, that you would kill for, and try to phrase your results and accomplishments in a way that would make you an ideal person for that perfect job!

hope this helps

Old 05-22-2009, 05:58 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Ahhhhhh, I had to read your post several times, before I finally got your meaning!! oooopss!!

Okay, I see you have a new job where your contribution has been less than significant.

hmmm, I would focus on the group's achievements rather than your own and your contribution to it.

The image that springs to mind is when I would see a Ferrari being built on television. Or a race car in a pit stop! You see a whole bunch of people, scurrying around, each knowing her/his place and skill.

So focus on the Company and what benchmarks the company has achieved and your contribution to these goals. So, instead of being the leader or project manager, you are the excellent team member.

hope this helps!

p.s. (This means that you will have to ask/know what benchmarks the company is concerened with, i.e. how they are growing or maintaining their competitiveness.)

Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 AM

8,951 posts, read 20,372,776 times
My wife has been working a "Contract job" since Feb and now has that job on her resume. She wants to make sure that any company that looks at her resume sees that she has been working, even though it is on a Contract basis job (that will end next month).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search