Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Wouldn't they be able to tell based on your date of birth or looking up your SSN?

I can understand your listing "old" stuff as its better than having nothing at all and you wanna appear qualified, however, listing old stuff and getting the job could bite you in the tail later if your not up to speed with current tech and procedures. Just be careful with that.
Once you get to the interview they're going to figure out your age. The key is actually getting your foot in the door to get the interview--then hopefully you can wow them so they don't really care about age.

Not all older workers are out of touch with technology. I'm the "go to" person where I work for all things computer and software related--although I'll say that 99% of the problems are simple operator error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 06:27 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times
Yes, companies can find out old I am, but that would be after they have looked at my resume and talked to me.......just trying to get a "foot in the door" as said.
Actually, I have worked in Purchasing/Inventory within the last year and a half. I know all the current tech and procedures that go on.

Quote:
Wouldn't they be able to tell based on your date of birth or looking up your SSN?

I can understand your listing "old" stuff as its better than having nothing at all and you wanna appear qualified, however, listing old stuff and getting the job could bite you in the tail later if your not up to speed with current tech and procedures. Just be careful with that.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:33 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,064,838 times
You guys mentioned several times not to put job you have done over a ten years ago.

What if you have only had one or two jobs since then? I have experience I don't want to leave off my resume because the last job was only 5 months as an administrative temp. Prior to this, I was a stay at home mom and volunteer.

My resume would look mighty thin without these other jobs.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:34 AM

Actually, when our department director was at a meeting, I was the "go to" person in the Materials Department (Purchasing/Inventory). I am extremely good on a computer/keyboard and was just as good using the Purchasing/Inventory programs I had on my computer. I was the Materials Coordinator for the department and worked very closely with the Director (who was the one who hired me in the beginning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Once you get to the interview they're going to figure out your age. The key is actually getting your foot in the door to get the interview--then hopefully you can wow them so they don't really care about age.

Not all older workers are out of touch with technology. I'm the "go to" person where I work for all things computer and software related--although I'll say that 99% of the problems are simple operator error.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:39 AM

Depending, going over ten years is fine......just don't get to carried away with going back really far. I go back 13 years on my resume because of the amount of years I was on my previous three jobs that showed the experience that I need to show for the type of job I'm searching for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You guys mentioned several times not to put job you have done over a ten years ago.

What if you have only had one or two jobs since then? I have experience I don't want to leave off my resume because the last job was only 5 months as an administrative temp. Prior to this, I was a stay at home mom and volunteer.

My resume would look mighty thin without these other jobs.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:11 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,818 times
If you have military, regardless of how long ago it was, its always good to put it there. It just looks good to people.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
If you have military, regardless of how long ago it was, its always good to put it there. It just looks good to people.
I have to disagree. If you did a four year hitch as a draftee during Viet Nam, no one cares considering a great many of the men who served then had no desire to be there.

If you were an officer then it's foolish to not put it. But a GI 20+ years ago? It just doesn't matter.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 AM

I enlisted in the Navy right before I graduated from high school. One thing I didn't want was to be drafted into the Army.
The job I had in the Navy was directly related with the type of job I've been doing in recent years. True, there were no computers back then and inventory was done on 3 x 5 cards, but working in Supply/Stores then is pretty much the same as now......except for using computers a lot now.
And, many young people today who enlist are told to pick a military job that can be directly crossed-over into civilian life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have to disagree. If you did a four year hitch as a draftee during Viet Nam, no one cares considering a great many of the men who served then had no desire to be there.

If you were an officer then it's foolish to not put it. But a GI 20+ years ago? It just doesn't matter.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:45 AM

Some people! A number of years ago, I was lucky......a former Army guy hired me for his department and the company was owned by a former Navy guy. I know that years ago, there were numerous Veterans (Viet Nam era and later) that worked for different companies.
Today, because of the age bracket in Agencies and in some companies, these young folks have no idea about any military jobs or even care (it seems). But, then again, if these "youngin's" don't know anyone in the military, they wouldn't know anything about the jobs in the military! That makes sense to me.

Quote:

Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,818 times
Well I'll probly keep mine there. Even if it is old. I gotta have "something" there. But I don't include it if its not going to help me, like retail or something. Why bother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search