Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times

Advertisements

You can state it in your Objective, without putting dates, ie, as follows:

Quote:
OBJECTIVE: Transition my extensive military training into a civilian job, thereby continuing the disciplines of
quality control and efficiency at minimal cost to a new employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 08:19 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
That would bring light to the fact of your military career, using the word "transition" almost seems as if you're coming back now, and then extensive gets the reader to wonder how many years. You can also use something like this in your cover letter, without using dates or amount of years. Just a "hook"

Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I HAVE to list things from long ago because I haven't worked for 18 years. I have been a SAHM and now want to go back to work and have only had one interview in the last 6 months. I was a professional prior to this, a computer programmer actually, but I learned what I needed to learn on the job and from specialty classes, since computers were in their infancy and college degrees were not yet required. It's not a field I want to go back to. But I also had years of customer service experience prior to that. I am just in the worst possible position to find employment these days.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:51 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unless they were recently released from duty, I've never seen any military experience listed except as:

Captain, United States Air Force, 12 years active duty

If you weren't an officer, decorated, or service-related disabled, I wouldn't even bother to mention it unless you are applying for a position that gives preference to veterans.

Because you don't have a degree, I would list it as

Any College, 60 credit hours with an emphasis in "whatever your major would have been"

I respectfuly disagree with the opinion about military service. The person had a "job" in the service, descirbe it, the training, and length of time in this job. There are many careers in the military besides those that involve battle or weapons. Electronics, mechanics, medicine to name but three. Especially if it relates in any way to the current industry, or has definite related skills that would obviously transfer to another industry.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
I respectfuly disagree with the opinion about military service. The person had a "job" in the service, descirbe it, the training, and length of time in this job. There are many careers in the military besides those that involve battle or weapons. Electronics, mechanics, medicine to name but three. Especially if it relates in any way to the current industry, or has definite related skills that would obviously transfer to another industry.
You are missing the point. It is a job. I'm not denying that. But just like any other job that the person had 20+ years ago, it's simply not relevant to the job search.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:46 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unless they were recently released from duty, I've never seen any military experience listed except as:

Captain, United States Air Force, 12 years active duty

If you weren't an officer, decorated, or service-related disabled, I wouldn't even bother to mention it unless you are applying for a position that gives preference to veterans.

Because you don't have a degree, I would list it as

Any College, 60 credit hours with an emphasis in "whatever your major would have been"
Its good to list it for Federal Jobs. You get Veteran's Preference and a leg up on other applicants. May not be fair if they are better qualified, but I'll take it.

friendly fyi - Alot of NCOs have college degrees but no career soldier with 18 years whose an E8 or E9 is going to want to get promoted to 2LT and get a huge pay decrease and lose all their authority (basically starting from the bottom again).

I'd think its more impressive to retire as an Command Sergeant Major or First Sergeant than a butterbar 2nd Lewey... Plus they get better pensions.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Its good to list it for Federal Jobs. You get Veteran's Preference and a leg up on other applicants. May not be fair if they are better qualified, but I'll take it.

friendly fyi - Alot of NCOs have college degrees but no career soldier with 18 years whose an E8 or E9 is going to want to get promoted to 2LT and get a huge pay decrease and lose all their authority (basically starting from the bottom again).

I'd think its more impressive to retire as an Command Sergeant Major or First Sergeant than a butterbar 2nd Lewey... Plus they get better pensions.
I agree that for Federal jobs it's important to list, but in the private sector it could work against you as it will indicate your age.

And I was thinking of CO's when I mentioned that. A close relative recently retired as a COL in US Army the and is now seeking executive level employment in the private sector, you betcha he's got that rank listed.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:35 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Well, 20 plus years ago or not, military jobs that relate directly to a civilian job can be put on the resume......but, as I am told, only showing a number of years, not actual years. See, a military job is much stricter in training and "doing" than it's conterpart civilian job. In other words, if a person makes a mistake on their job in the military, the consequenses are tougher than in civilian jobs.....believe me, I know!! As stated in the below posting, when it comes to electonics jobs, machinist jobs, medicine and many others, many people (like myself) got their career education/experience started from the military. Not all of us, like myself, were "in the heat of battle" on the ground!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search