Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:24 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,381 times

Advertisements

This may be a weird question, but to all you HR people out there, I was wondering if an employer was going to offer me a job & pulled a background check or credit check, could they see that I have an 7-year extended fraud alert with the credit bureaus? When they say they check your credit, what exactly would they look for in regards to a potential job offer? Credit score, no bankruptcies?

Just wondering if this would affect me at all in my job search or if I'm just being paranoid...

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 03:30 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Even if they did, why would they care?

When I ran credit on new hires for my previous employer, we had a set criteria that they responded with. I got a report that showed the number of 30+ day lates over the past two years, plus the number of non-medical related collection accounts, and any judgements. I don't recall ever seeing any fraud alerts, although I did once see a consumer statement about a deliquency.

We were looking for people who chronically didn't pay their bills or were in financial trouble, as our employees often handled large amounts of cash.

Other employers might get more or less information.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:35 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,381 times
Thanks, annerk.

So really, all you are looking for if you pull them is any delinquencies or 30+ days past due accounts. If that's the case, then I have nothing to worry about.

Just out of curiousity then & since I'm still waiting to hear back from a certain company, how long does it take for an employer to do their background check & whatever else they do before they call you with a job offer????

Old 05-23-2009, 03:50 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,469 times
I don't know, but what do you exactly mean by fraud alert?

Does this mean that you wrote checks that you could not cover?

If so, it will probably come up! It is called check systems.

Whether it will or not, depends on what kind of background check they do. I would think that the normal checks would be 1) the 3 credit bureaus, 2) check systems and 3) criminal and 4) civil cases where you were the defendant.

The above are pretty easy and cheap to check. My experience of having a job call me in the office was because I owed state taxes. I was a mutual funds broker and was already hired! I was questioned after a week on the job.

You just never know until you know. I would go for the job, and if it comes up, try to explain it. So be prepared to bring your paperwork to prove that you took care of the financiial issues.

In my case, they ignored it, since the governent had mad a mistake and said that I owed 50,000 dollars when i only owed 500!

cheers!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Not to say that people with perfect credit might not also steal, but people do stupid things when they are desperate for cash. that's why we were looking for bad credit. Put it this way--one or two 30 day lates wouldn't matter. A ton of lates coupled with collection accounts and judgements created a no-hire situation.

I could pull credit, DMV, and criminal in about 30 minutes. Checking references took a bit longer obviously. If it's a full background check with fingure prints, it can take up to two weeks. (My son had to go through one of these when he was employed by the school district.)

Old 05-23-2009, 03:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
yes they can.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I don't know, but what do you exactly mean by fraud alert?

Does this mean that you wrote checks that you could not cover?

If so, it will probably come up! It is called check systems.
Wow, something gea doesn't know. An extended fraud alert is added to your credit report when you've been a victim of identity theft.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:56 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,831,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Wow, something gea doesn't know. An extended fraud alert is added to your credit report when you've been a victim of identity theft.
Not automatically added, you have to get the paperwork, and file it with them.
The Extended Fraud Alert is for suspect you are a victim of fraud. lasts for 7 years, valid police report showing that you have been a victim of identity theft , or active duty alert is also available to persons on active military duty, and you have to provide valid military id and papers.

The "Extended Fraud Alert" verbage will only show up to the Credit Bureau, and the company that pulled the report, but, they should know that that means you are watching your credit.
Actually to have that on your report is a good thing
When an HR company runs an employment verification credit background history, it shows them the deliquency information, if there is any, and the good info.
If you have a "Statement Added" to your report for credit requests, as, maybe, "Delinquency due to divorce" Delinquency due to unemployment"
or one of the "boxed" statements they will allow you to put along with your report, that is available to any company that pulls your report and views the accounts that have that statement attached to them.
By Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003, which gave individuals some rights, not as much as the one that they keep putting off, the one that was supposed to pass on April 30, 09, and just got pushed to Aug 09, “Red Flags Rule”, whereby businesses will be responsible for notifying consumers if they believe of suspicious activity on someone's credit history. I digress, sorry

anyway, the Extended fraud alert will not harm your report in any way, its better on there than not. If you have a shaky credit history, it will help, if you have a good credit history, it won't hurt.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:00 PM

People who point fingers, should point back at themselves, since the shoe seems to fit quite appropriately for one marketing/slash I know everyone in every field, woman we all know!

Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsun1980 View Post
This may be a weird question, but to all you HR people out there, I was wondering if an employer was going to offer me a job & pulled a background check or credit check, could they see that I have an 7-year extended fraud alert with the credit bureaus? When they say they check your credit, what exactly would they look for in regards to a potential job offer? Credit score, no bankruptcies?

Just wondering if this would affect me at all in my job search or if I'm just being paranoid...

Thanks!!

Well OP, perhaps you can print up this link for any potential employers who will definitely run a credit check on you and give it to them.

Equifax Credit Report FAQ: Credit Fraud Alert Information

Now, that Sinsativ has explained what YOU did, regarding your own credit, then it appears to me, at least, obvious, that anyone who runs a credit check on you will SEE the extended fraud alert.

Hope this helps!!

cheers

Last edited by gea12345; 05-23-2009 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search