Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:20 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

People are so desperate for a job now days and I can understand why. They have bills to pay and a family to support. But so many applicants are so desperate for a job that they come across as embarrassing. They promise the moon and the stars (and say to work 14 hours a day) "Just give me a job any job please, please please!!

Do you think from an applicants perspective that begging for a job is an effective approach? If you were a hiring manager how do you respond to the applicant who is begging, pleading and crying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
If they are the best person for the job, hire them.
Don't simply hire them because they made a scene.
I know it's hard out there but crying and begging at an interview is not the best strategy.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:26 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
People are so desperate for a job now days and I can understand why. They have bills to pay and a family to support. But so many applicants are so desperate for a job that they come across as embarrassing. They promise the moon and the stars (and say to work 14 hours a day) "Just give me a job any job please, please please!!

Do you think from an applicants perspective that begging for a job is an effective approach? If you were a hiring manager how do you respond to the applicant who is begging, pleading and crying?
YOU should the the Christian thing, quit, and offer them your job, since you've already stated that you really don't do anything, and that a drunk monkey could do the things you are responsible for doing. You live in a $600k house, drive a $3k car, in a terrible neighborhood, that drives you crazy, and you are really worried about it, so, do the Gods honest, humane thing, quit, and tell your unassuming boss, that this worthy person can have your job.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Weekend Trawler....you are a kick....!

Delusions of grandeur.
Karma's gonna get you. Take the high road and encourage, not beat down...(how long must I preach the good word to you??)

Great post sinsativ!! Love it.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
Quote:

I thought you were an HR professional of like some 20+ years? Why are you asking us? Shouldn't you know this stuff?

And didn't you already start a thread about applicant's begging and being desperate. Why another?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:03 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
you should the the christian thing, quit, and offer them your job, since you've already stated that you really don't do anything, and that a drunk monkey could do the things you are responsible for doing. You live in a $600k house, drive a $3k car, in a terrible neighborhood, that drives you crazy, and you are really worried about it, so, do the gods honest, humane thing, quit, and tell your unassuming boss, that this worthy person can have your job.
a +

Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
guy's got too much time on his hands

Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I thought you were an HR professional of like some 20+ years? Why are you asking us? Shouldn't you know this stuff?

And didn't you already start a thread about applicant's begging and being desperate. Why another?
I do not have all the answers and want to know what others think!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:

Seriously? I used to think all of the troll talk was excessive but know it looks as if you subsidize your current job by working under a bridge collecting tolls.

Here is what you ask yourself. If the person ends up being a train wreck and your boss comes to you and asks why you hired/recommended them will you have to lie? Will you have the stones to say "because they begged and cried"? If your answers are no then don't hire them. If your answers are yes AND you know that you will still be able to keep your job then yes.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:25 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i have known people to beg and plead for a date, and then act rotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search