Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
That is how I got to where I am and it is how everyone else in my line of business got to where they are.

It was called an "apprenticeship".

It's where you come in knowing nothing and you aren't worth much and you aren't going to be paid much either.

Prevailing attitude today seems to be everyone is owed a "fair living wage" which is nothing but spewed poppycock crap. You are owed nothing in this life and you may as well accept the fact everything you ever get worth having you will work for.

I'm going to be retiring in 5 to 7 years and I need to train my replacement. Yeah, some lucky young man gets to work for a demanding gruff old fart like me. Starting pay is $7 an hour which is a hell of a lot more than what he is worth to me right now. Matter of fact he should pay me $7 an hour for the privilege of having me tell him everything I know. For those of you who think the world owes you a "living wage", what do you think of those beans?

The pay schedule is $7 an hour to start with a $2 raise every six months for 5 years. In June, 2011 he'll be making $15 an hour and $23 an hour in June, 2013. Yeah, he can work McDonalds or retail and make more than he would by working for me for $7 an hour but I doubt you would be making $30 an hour after working 5 years in retail but my apprentice will and he'll be worth it too.

What shocked me most was the number of people who wouldn't take the job because the starting wage was so low even now. Is it the way schools are teaching our kids today or the entitlement/instant gratification culture we seem to have?

$7 is low and hardly a living wage. It's barely make it to work money but if you can't research five years into the future then I don't want you.

My young man starts Monday, June 1. We'll have a lot of fun working together and if he makes it through the first year he'll be fine.
I love your mindset! Kudos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 02:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
PS: When I posted as above, why can't I give rep points? Just because I post and give kudos? This silly message comes up that I have to "spread the reps" when I haven't given anybody any reps for WEEKS! Doh?

Old 05-30-2009, 03:13 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What you hear and the reality is often two different things. In japan I think you are in for a rude awakening if they let you enter and work. You will be married to the job and lucky to get home many times plus you salary even in top jobs can be lowly paid as to style of living. Quit and you will be con disloyal and be unofficially blackball. Loyality to your company is very important. But BS is just a foot in the door really to start to see if you have what it takes to move up and doesn't mean high salary but if you are good it could lead to that.
How is the United States any different? Why would someone hire you if you quit a large cooperate job at say IBM or Intel? Maybe a small business but i doubt anther cooperation would look at you.

High salaries are nice, but don't mean anything to me when working for someone else. Minimum wage or $7 an hour is a ridiculous statement for people that put blood and sweat into their degree, while they work 40 hours a week to get through the month. Why would i spend thousands of dollars into a degree to earn $7 after graduation? Which would barely afford rent with roommates and default my student loans. There isnt enough time or energy to do anything but work, school, sleep. Show me the time for an internship with that schedule?

Then your asking "why did you get student loans if you worked 40 hours a week?" Rent, food, eletricity, gasoline, ect. all cost money. The point of student loans is for tuition and books. nothing else.

That is why i dont understand the mentality. I guess everyone is throw away now of days and nothing means anything anymore.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:23 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
High salaries are nice, but don't mean anything to me when working for someone else. Minimum wage or $7 an hour is a ridiculous statement for people that put blood and sweat into their degree, while they work 40 hours a week to get through the month. Why would i spend thousands of dollars into a degree to earn $7 after graduation?
Just for the record when I mentioned $7 an hour (looks like it will be $7.25 anyway) I wasn't talking someone with a BS degree from college.

I was talking about a smart kid, 19 years old and right out of high school. As I said at $7 the kid is overpaid.

But if he sticks with the program, is smart enough to learn, has the drive and willingness to learn on his own he'll be making at least $55k at age 24 anywhere he goes. Not bad at age 24 with just a high school education.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:28 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
You did not specify that nicet4, so i can only guess and assume based on the rebuttal given. Thanks for the clarification though.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:38 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
You did not specify that nicet4, so i can only guess and assume based on the rebuttal given. Thanks for the clarification though.
The kid starting for me on Monday is still 18, a young one. Won't be 19 until November.

He's still living at home and as long as he continues to do so for another year until he's making $11 an hour he'll do just fine.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:46 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
EXACTLY... there are also many employers that are asking the moon, they want you to have complete mastery of twelve different computer programs - yet they call the position "ENTRY LEVEL" - yeah right, the salary is the only thing that is entry level!!
LMAO that's ridiculous Unfortunately, employers have the right to be picky but if they have trouble finding qualified employees, they need to ask themselves why? Is it because I expect more from prospective employees than what I'm willing to give? It goes both ways.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:17 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,869 times
Default I'm going to use a scary word for civilian employers

TRAINING. Oh my god, what if he you solved your lack of "qualified" employees by building your own!! It might cost a little up front but imagine the return you could get. You might actually have a loyal employee as well. Investing in people, what a concept! While employers aren't looking any further than their nose right now, many of those Baby Boomers that hold most of the jobs are only a few years away from imminent death or retirement. What happens when in a few short years the workforce is reduced naturally by 20 to 30 percent? Will it be an employers market anymore?

Old 12-25-2010, 07:48 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
TRAINING. Oh my god, what if he you solved your lack of "qualified" employees by building your own!! It might cost a little up front but imagine the return you could get. You might actually have a loyal employee as well. Investing in people, what a concept! While employers aren't looking any further than their nose right now, many of those Baby Boomers that hold most of the jobs are only a few years away from imminent death or retirement. What happens when in a few short years the workforce is reduced naturally by 20 to 30 percent? Will it be an employers market anymore?
At my job we always train new hires to produce competent function employees. It's been a blessing as my company has had lower turnover and overall high level of productivity, quality and job satisfaction. I started off in QA as a Quality Assurance & Control Analyst and we had to undergo training when we first got hired.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 AM

247 posts, read 751,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Note to recent college grads: Your college diploma is really nice, it's a nice thing to have and shows you went after something and achieved a goal. This is really nice and I am impressed but I got to tell you with your level of work history and experience that degree is worth nowhere near what you think it is. For many it isn't worth half, or sometimes even a third, of what some of you think it is. I've met lots of 24 year old's who think they're worth $60K when in real life they're barely worth $25K.

With some the sense of entitlement is simply overwhelming. "I have a degree, I worked hard and you have to pay me $70,000 because I'm entitled to it because it's in the constitution or something you have to pay me a fair living wage."

This sort of attitude always causes me bouts of uncontrollable laughter.

You are only worth what someone is willing to pay and they are only willing to pay that when you can demonstrate you have the ability to make the company more money than you cost.
I wish they would tell more grads that because I walked out feeling entitled with not much experience. The 'real world' showed me how wrong I was, even with a Master's degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search