Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:56 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times

Advertisements

I see this question come up over and over. I also see people wondering why they don't get feedback from hiring managers.

There are several reasons you might not be called for an interview, most of them are beyond your control. Here are some things that I have run across as a hiring manager.

1. Your timing was off. You applied too late, and I have already received enough applications. Your resume did not even get looked at. Depending on the job, market, and industry, the amount of time necessary to get enough resumes can vary from one day, to a month or more. But once I start reviewing applications, unless the field is very weak, I won't look at new applications even if the job is still open on my website.

2. You simply did not match the other candidates experience and qualifications. You may have met the minimum requirements, or even exceeded them. But if lots of people look better than you on paper, I will put your application in the emergency backup pile, and only look at that if everybody in my preferred pile doesn't work out. For any given job that I advertise, I will review applications until I get about 20 that meet qualifications. I will then sort them from most to least qualified, and then interview the top 5 or so. If one of those 5 wows me in the interview, I won't even schedule interviews for candidates 6+. Interviewing takes lots of time to do right, and I will not waste my time interviewing people once I have found a good match.

3. If you did not make the preferred batch, I won't even contact you. Depending on my HR system, you may get an automated letter or message, but certainly not a phone call. It is not a cost effective use of my time to call people and tell them "no thanks" when I have absolutely no intention of hiring them.

If you did get to the interview stage, I will contact you for a rejection after I have made a decision, offered the job, and a candidate has accepted. I can make 4-5 phone calls or email messages. I will not go into details as to why I did not hire you. There is nothing for me to gain by doing so, and I can only open myself up for liability or lost time.

I am sorry if this sounds rather impersonal, but you should keep in mind that I most likely put more time into preparing and interviewing applicants than they put into applying for the job. I want to get the best person for my company, but past that, I am only wasting time and resources by engaging people I have decided not to hire. It is not my job to be an employment counselor, or tell people what they need to do to perform better in interviews.

I hope that helps. Not being contacted is likely not a judgement against you, simply a matter of numbers of better qualified applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
What about when you go to an interview and they say they will get back to you later this week, but the week passes and I don't even get a quick call saying they're not interested at the moment?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I see this question come up over and over. I also see people wondering why they don't get feedback from hiring managers.

There are several reasons you might not be called for an interview, most of them are beyond your control. Here are some things that I have run across as a hiring manager.

1. Your timing was off. You applied too late, and I have already received enough applications. Your resume did not even get looked at. Depending on the job, market, and industry, the amount of time necessary to get enough resumes can vary from one day, to a month or more. But once I start reviewing applications, unless the field is very weak, I won't look at new applications even if the job is still open on my website.

2. You simply did not match the other candidates experience and qualifications. You may have met the minimum requirements, or even exceeded them. But if lots of people look better than you on paper, I will put your application in the emergency backup pile, and only look at that if everybody in my preferred pile doesn't work out. For any given job that I advertise, I will review applications until I get about 20 that meet qualifications. I will then sort them from most to least qualified, and then interview the top 5 or so. If one of those 5 wows me in the interview, I won't even schedule interviews for candidates 6+. Interviewing takes lots of time to do right, and I will not waste my time interviewing people once I have found a good match.

3. If you did not make the preferred batch, I won't even contact you. Depending on my HR system, you may get an automated letter or message, but certainly not a phone call. It is not a cost effective use of my time to call people and tell them "no thanks" when I have absolutely no intention of hiring them.

If you did get to the interview stage, I will contact you for a rejection after I have made a decision, offered the job, and a candidate has accepted. I can make 4-5 phone calls or email messages. I will not go into details as to why I did not hire you. There is nothing for me to gain by doing so, and I can only open myself up for liability or lost time.

I am sorry if this sounds rather impersonal, but you should keep in mind that I most likely put more time into preparing and interviewing applicants than they put into applying for the job. I want to get the best person for my company, but past that, I am only wasting time and resources by engaging people I have decided not to hire. It is not my job to be an employment counselor, or tell people what they need to do to perform better in interviews.

I hope that helps. Not being contacted is likely not a judgement against you, simply a matter of numbers of better qualified applicants.

That automated letter is pointless and a full of sh*T

Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
What about when you go to an interview and they say they will get back to you later this week, but the week passes and I don't even get a quick call saying they're not interested at the moment?

I know but you are expected to call them back when they WANT you. Nothing but bullsH*T

Old 06-03-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
In my opinion, could be one of three things.

1. The interviewing manager is a flake. Sorry, but some people are.

2. You did really well in the interview, and the manager's initial opinion was that you are a strong candidate that might get a job offer. Then they had second thoughts, or a stronger candidate was the next to interview and they are waiting for a response from that other person.

3. Something else came up. Business crisis, personal issues, whatever. They took up the managers time and he/she is running behind.

For a solid suggestion though, I recommend trying to get a date by which you can expect a callback. Other than sending a thankyou email, or following up with additional materials if warranted by the interview, don't initiate contact before the expected callback date.

Once the callback date passes, wait 2-3 more business days and then phone the hiring manager, just to check in.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That automated letter is pointless and a full of sh*T
I disagree. It lets you know that you are no longer in the running for the position. You may not like it, and it might be impersonal, but it is not pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I know but you are expected to call them back when they WANT you. Nothing but bullsH*T
Yes, as an applicant, you are. That is part of the interview process. If you cannot play the game properly by dressing appropriately for the interview, having a nicely done resume, being on time, and conducting appropriate and prompt followup, then I do not want to hire you. Failure to follow the proper procedures in the interview process means that you will not follow the procedures after you land the job and will most likely be a problem employee.

If you don't like it, marry somebody with money.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:38 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I actually read you should apply later than others (except if it's a crappy job they need to fill because "Bob" got fired and they need a new drone).

Sending your resume in AFTER the rest of the desperate hoard sets yours apart, so said the article.

Then again, up is down, black is white, night is day, and Big Brother loves us very much.

Someday 1984 will be over.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 AM

467 posts, read 983,996 times
Its also just as demoralizing to GET the job only because they needed a body, not thru any skills you have or demonstrated. Ya its employment but knowing you got it just because your a pair of hands is sorta like saying, "Well you're better than nothing".

Old 06-03-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I actually read you should apply later than others (except if it's a crappy job they need to fill because "Bob" got fired and they need a new drone).

Sending your resume in AFTER the rest of the desperate hoard sets yours apart, so said the article.
Probably true in some cases. I am only giving my opinion based upon my personal experience. My larger point is that timing can play a factor, but it is largely beyond your control. Submit the resume, and hope that it hits the inbox at the right time.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
Its also just as demoralizing to GET the job only because they needed a body, not thru any skills you have or demonstrated. Ya its employment but knowing you got it just because your a pair of hands is sorta like saying, "Well you're better than nothing".
Yes, there are jobs like that out there. So take the job, do better than anybody else ever has because you have more motivation and skill, and get promoted.

I have lots of people who work for me that will never get promoted because they are simply a body going through rote tasks. Fine as far as that goes, but they are not showing me that they can handle anything more.

I also have people working for me, or who have worked for me in the past, who excelled in their position. They get offered promotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search