Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:02 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,535 times

Advertisements

On this board, people are angry how long it takes to complete the employment process. In today's tough economy I notice that it can take three months from the day the job advertisement is placed and the person eventually starts work. In some cases, the candidate is interviewed by a dozen managers and comes back and forth four or more times before a decision is reached. That does not even count the phone screen and the extensive check of professional references and verification of employment/background.

I saw the opposite of this at a local KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken). While I was ordering my food and eating I saw a women came in and ask for an application. One was given to her. She completed the document and a manager came over to talk to her. No smiles or handshakes, just a 3 minute conversation. After the short interview he said, "good, can you start immediately"? She said, "yes" and by the time I was done with my food she had started work.

Why can't some of our unemployed work there, with such a fast hiring process?

What is the quickest employment hiring process you have ever seen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,111 times
Seriously? You want people to continue a post about you witnessing a fast food chain hiring someone?

I have a speed scenario for you. What's the fastest time it's taken for you to determine that someone is a d***he bag?

Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Maybe you should stop being so nosey about other people's business.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
Wow, I guess we should all aspire to cooking chicken. Maybe that's where I went wrong...???

Old 06-03-2009, 07:56 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
Gee, why are you guys giving the OP crap? The OP noticed something and simply reported on something that sort of shocked them. I'd be just as curious at what some folks think as he would! Call me "nosey" also......I really don't care!! Anyway, I remember a number of years ago, when people would get hired within a couple of weeks not a couple of months (or more)! I was sitting in an office waiting for an interview while another guy was being interviewed and he got the job......before I was even interviewed! I sure wasn't happy the way the hiring was performed, but had no choice in it and left. And, this was working for a major electronics company.
Companies today are literally taking weeks-to-months to hire someone. The "Immediate Hire" ads are seldom seen today.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times
Ha, that's a little to quick for me, especially if I had plans to order a number 5 combo and catch my show after doing the app. KFC managers probably use their instinct more than anything, plus he knows that if she does a bad job he can easily replace her probably the next day. How about a non-minimum wage interview,hired,start work the same day or next day? Well I got hired for trash picker the same day for a small contracting waste/demolishing company but started like the next day. Then I come to find out that I'm the 7th employee to start work and quite in the same day during the past week! hahaha

Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 AM

I was hired for a retail job that day. That job sucked and I quit after a month.
I got tired of a 50 something 'legend in her own mind' coworker playing mind games with me and trying to make me look bad.
(this was years ago, so no 'be happy you were working posts.)

I was hired as a server the next day after I interviewed. That job ULTRA sucked and I quit that day. That job has been in the paper at least 7 times since I quit.

Yes, these are low level jobs. Most low level jobs hire you on the spot or the next day. That's because someone else left that day or the day before and yes, they can replace you with another drone once you quit.

I'm glad people CAN get hired on the spot but I would venture to say most of those jobs are low paying, drone jobs. Of course there is nothing wrong with honest work. But should we applaud this as 'wonderful news?' Indeed not.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:14 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,582 times
Thats funny, because KFC, corporate policy requires two things for all employees/new hires before they can start work, a background check, and a health card. I guess this Franchisee was going awol and didn't care about the Health regulations or possibly having someone that would rip off the cash register or a known drug user selling/dispensing food to the retail public. I hope you had your antibiotics before you ate the food you ordered.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
Personally, I wish companies would go back to the quicker hiring......I get so darned tired of waiting around for a company to make up it's mind about who to hire! I've done the follow-up call (sometimes more than one) and get the "we haven't quite decided yet" answer. Geeeeeeesh!! There are people out there with the qualifications, experience and education. It really doesn't (or shouldn't have to) take weeks-to-months to hire someone!!
Now I know why some folks who become age-eligible for SS Benefits go ahead and take the low amount benefit just to get out of the employment hunting crap/headache that happens today!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Personally, I wish companies would go back to the quicker hiring......I get so darned tired of waiting around for a company to make up it's mind about who to hire! I've done the follow-up call (sometimes more than one) and get the "we haven't quite decided yet" answer. Geeeeeeesh!! There are people out there with the qualifications, experience and education. It really doesn't (or shouldn't have to) take weeks-to-months to hire someone!!
Now I know why some folks who become age-eligible for SS Benefits go ahead and take the low amount benefit just to get out of the employment hunting crap/headache that happens today!
I'm a big believer half these jobs 'do not exist' or are already promised to someone. They just 'have to' run interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search