Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:55 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,535 times

Advertisements

I teach a class about job hunting and had a "difference of opinion" about a few things with some of my students. Here were the issues:

Issue # 1: (The two page resume) A few of the students insisted that experts had told them that regardless of their age and level of experience they could only have a one page resume. I strongly disagreed and told them that where I work we receive hundreds of resumes every month and 70% of them from candidates with five or more years of experience have a two page resume. They did not believe me.

Issue# 2: (the empty qualifications statement) I told the students to stay away from empty qualifications statements such as:

Excellent Interpersonal Skills
Excellent Skills in Microsoft Office
Strong Oral and Written Communications Skills
Good Time Management Skills
Hard Working, reliable and efficient

I said that 90 percent of the resumes I see have these empty broad statements, so recruiters and hiring managers ignore them. I said instead you need to describe why these things are true on your resume. The class disagreed, and said those type of statements are great and any further explaination should be left until the actual interview. I said you may not get an interview if your resume is full of empty statements like those listed above.

Issue #3 (High School and College Graduation Date) Members of the class insisted that the other experts insisted that you include your High School and College Graduation Dates on your resume. I said if you were over 40 years of age and a risk for age discrimination, drop the dates. They disagreed.

What are your opinions on these topics?

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 06-24-2009 at 04:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 05:04 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,363,482 times
I've just switched my resume from a one pager to the front page a kind of stand alone skills page and then the following pages actual work history.

It was pointed out on this forum that if I hadn't even gotten a job interview in 6 months I needed to re-do my resume and that I did.

I'm looking for any help in getting a job.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
#1 For most people, a single page is enough. There are ways to format a resume that will cut down on redundancy and save space. People looking for upper level management and certain professionals might well need a second page. And of course anyone who is a scientist/researcher or educator that uses a CV rather than a resume will have multiple pages. I see far too many things in resumes that really belong in the cover letter.

#2 Most of that is better in the cover letter. The exception is for some positions it's important to list the software skills you ahve, and in that case MS Office is certainly something that should be listed. For example, part of my job requires graphic design and web site management, so you bet I listed the software programs relevant to the job, as well as MS office.

#3 I no longer list the graduation dates for my education on my resume. In fact I don't even list the high school anymore (which has since closed and been torn down, so it's irrelevent), it's pretty obvious that with my college education I graduated from high school.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:27 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
My resume is three pages, and that doesn't include my current position (which I got with my 3 page resume, as well as the job prior to that). But three will be my limit. I think if its relevant, it should be on there. In this day and age, many of the old "standards" no longer apply (i.e. use heavy stock paper etc.) as email attachments, faxes, and online applications have taken over. I'd almost say that for digital resumes (the ones' you'd use for online apps), put as much info as you can since many use key word or key phrase searches.

As for the empty qualifications - I don't use them simply because its either stating the obvious (might as well put in 'have high moral values'), or they should be conveyed in your experiences.

As annerk indicated - if you have a BA/BS, don't even bother adding your HS since its obvious you graduated. Although the BA/BS stays even if you have a Masters. I don't have dates on mine as they will ask if necessary. I can't imagine that they would not bring you in because you didn't have a date.

Of course, all this is dependent on the job posting. If they specifically asked for the High school or date of graduation - you'd provide that.

And finally - This is obviously based on my experience - YMMV.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,165 times
Hasn't there already been multiple threads already on this same subject?

I don't think there is a "standard" since different people have had success with different length resumes and varies by industry.

We should just agree to disagree on this topic.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:48 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,216 times
My resume is 4-5 pages long. I'm in the IT industry. When I submit my resume, 99% of the time I get a call back.

Like the post above me said, I think it just depends.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
Wouldn't the necessary length really depend on how the amount of relevent skills and experience you needed to list for the job you were acquiring?

If you have a two page resume, with a page of fluff, then two pages is too many. If you have a two page resume, filled with highly relevent skills and experience, then I would think it is generally appropriate. You certainly wouldn't want to cut out relevant information which may prevent a recruiter from properly evaluating your skills against the position they are hiring for.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,683 times
Issue # 1: (The two page resume)
You should have as many pages as you need to consicely have all relevant job experiences listed. Jobs that have nothing to do with the job your applying for should be saved for the application - where they must be listed. Unless you have no other experience to list.

Issue# 2: (the empty qualifications statement)
This should be part of your cover letter as it addresses things usually stated in the qualifications in the job posting. And you better be able to explain why you think you have those skills when they ask - with examples. Microsoft skills should be in the resume if it was a requirement of your job, or is a specific requirement for a new the job you're applying to.

Issue #3 (High School and College Graduation Date)
High school dates should not be listed - ever. This is an age identifier - and they are not allowed to ask you how old you are, and this provides the answer. And age descrimination goes for both older and younger people. College dates should be listed - you will need to give the date you obtained your degree, but not the date you started school. Only the graduation date because if it took you longer to graduate, it might not lock good, even if you had very good reason, like going part time etc.

Other advice to share - always discuss with your personal references if there are topics you dont want them to bring up if they are called for a reference. I am a single woman and I have 2 kids. My bonehead friend told an HR person I had kids, so one of her remarks to my boss post hire was if I will be calling off all the time. Friends dont think of these things! She thought she was doing good by telling them how organized our schedules are and how well I do taking care of them alone. (and I only missed 1 day of work in that year) but it could have cost me the job had they not have been so desperate.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
I been working for over 10 years which means my resume will never be one page. It's impossible

Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I been working for over 10 years which means my resume will never be one page. It's impossible
I've been working for over 30 years--in management most of the past 20--and can get it all onto one page by avoiding redundency and the obvious. I've seen your resume, it will all fit on one page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search