Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:55 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times

Advertisements

This is sooooooooooo depressing. I've been with this agency since 2005 and have to go back for "testing" of my skills tomorrow. I have an MBA and speak Spanish in Arizona (big deal here). Anyway, I am NOT happy. I asked the agency how many requests for jobs they are getting in a week and they said 2 to 3!! They used to get 10 to 15. At any rate, thank you Bush voters for the last eight years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 04:05 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Im getting laid off in a couple months. One of the big computer peripherals companies are compacting their support into one call center for the United States, im unsure if they are doing the same in Europe. That is about 300 to 500 calls a day for the United States alone.

Anyway, i've applied for jobs on careerbuilder and craigslist and I'll im finding is a lot of these jobs, for someone like me, are spammers. Janitor jobs, stocking shelves, ect. Even the bashas i go to only has 4 people working the evening shift. That is insane...

Trying to blame this problem on Bush is not going to solve your problem. This problem has been brewing since the 70's.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:55 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Yeah, the temp agencies in chicago are rarely calling me. And I applied for a job on Careerbuilder and it turned out fake; they were just collecting resumes / people to sign up on their jobhunt site...

Old 06-25-2009, 06:22 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
The one agency I have been dealing with went dry months ago. They also 'upgraded' their 'membership' meaning they want people to pay to join and 'therefore push your resume ahead of the rest of the pack.'

I really don't want anything to do with them anymore. One job assignment they send me on (after 'selling me on it' and sending a few other candidates) wound up being rescinded by the client.

Another time they kept emailing me about this prime job. I sent my resume and heard NOTHING else from them.

Agencies suck. Yeah, yeah, at one point they 'might be helpful' but now they are just desperate scumbags piggybacking on anyone they can...

Old 06-25-2009, 06:32 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
No offense, but while you are unemployed, take some econ and history classes b/c blaming Bush for this nation's economic mess demonstrates how little you learned in business school.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:35 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
I met with 4 placement agencies. Not one has found me anything. Crazy.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Im getting laid off in a couple months. One of the big computer peripherals companies are compacting their support into one call center for the United States, im unsure if they are doing the same in Europe. That is about 300 to 500 calls a day for the United States alone.

Anyway, i've applied for jobs on careerbuilder and craigslist and I'll im finding is a lot of these jobs, for someone like me, are spammers. Janitor jobs, stocking shelves, ect. Even the bashas i go to only has 4 people working the evening shift. That is insane...

Trying to blame this problem on Bush is not going to solve your problem. This problem has been brewing since the 70's.
Wrong, I got my best job ever in August of 2000. During the Clinton years things were booming and it was easy to get a job.

I just noticed you live in conservative AZ. So do I. How hard have you tried to find something (sounds like you have) and how long have you tried? I don't want to get more discouraged than I am so maybe I'll pick up another volunteer job instead for references.

Last edited by movin'on; 06-26-2009 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
No offense, but while you are unemployed, take some econ and history classes b/c blaming Bush for this nation's economic mess demonstrates how little you learned in business school.
Well, then why don't you educate me? Eight years of ruin led to this.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I met with 4 placement agencies. Not one has found me anything. Crazy.
Honestly, I am debating the merits of even going to test today. I am volunteering on Tuesdays in an effort to pick up a reference. The agency will only confirm dates of employment and what I really need right now is a good reference more than anything. I don't know what to do. What I really need is a job with benefits, so maybe I should concentrate on this. I do have money in the bank - enough to live on to wait out any turnaround in this job situation - if there is a turnaround. Nonetheless, I will show up and give it my best.

Sorry for your experience. What kind of work were you looking for through and agency?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
The one agency I have been dealing with went dry months ago. They also 'upgraded' their 'membership' meaning they want people to pay to join and 'therefore push your resume ahead of the rest of the pack.'

I really don't want anything to do with them anymore. One job assignment they send me on (after 'selling me on it' and sending a few other candidates) wound up being rescinded by the client.

Another time they kept emailing me about this prime job. I sent my resume and heard NOTHING else from them.

Agencies suck. Yeah, yeah, at one point they 'might be helpful' but now they are just desperate scumbags piggybacking on anyone they can...
How discouraging. They have told me if I go in there and test I'll be on their "list" of people they will send out. Sheesh, I just wonder how many people will be on that list.

When I'd gone into the agency before there were many people working there. When I went in the last time I saw two people working there.

I remember the days in which you could just go sign up and they had a job for you the same day - during the Clinton years. I can ONLY hope President Obama turns things around, but due to the ruin of Bush, et al, it may be too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search