Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,589 times

Advertisements

And this forum is for the purpose of sharing experience. I don't see too many posts here talking about how great it is "out there."

BTW, my brother does have an MBA from a top 20 and years of experience as an executive for both Hewlett Packard and Cargill. He was put out to pasture at the age of 53 and hasn't worked since. I'll be 50 in September. Great prospects here.[/quote]

You are correct. I don't see too many people saying that the economy of the USA is so great either. Many people are struggling right now to find jobs and or support themselves if they have a job.

I have been without a job also for far too long and I am faced with the possibility of having to accept a job in China because of this screwed up economy created by none other than Mr. George W. "moron" Bush and Angelo "the crook" Mozillo. It is a sad thing when a college educated guy like me with tons of skills can't even find a part time job not even a mile away.

No one should have to face the prospect of changing countries just for work related reasons. I will be going to an interview for Microsoft in China pretty soon. It is about time something different happens! This bad economy affects even a really patient person like me. I will enjoy China for sure but it is a tough decision to choose whether to stay if I am hired. Like I said, I may have no choice but to end up doing it. I don't know what the future is going to bring for me but I try as hard as I can to remain positive although it is TOUGH sometimes. If you need anything, send me a PM anytime, I feel your pain and would be happy to help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
And this forum is for the purpose of sharing experience. I don't see too many posts here talking about how great it is "out there."

BTW, my brother does have an MBA from a top 20 and years of experience as an executive for both Hewlett Packard and Cargill. He was put out to pasture at the age of 53 and hasn't worked since. I'll be 50 in September. Great prospects here.
You are correct. I don't see too many people saying that the economy of the USA is so great either. Many people are struggling right now to find jobs and or support themselves if they have a job.

I have been without a job also for far too long and I am faced with the possibility of having to accept a job in China because of this screwed up economy created by none other than Mr. George W. "moron" Bush and Angelo "the crook" Mozillo. It is a sad thing when a college educated guy like me with tons of skills can't even find a part time job not even a mile away.

No one should have to face the prospect of changing countries just for work related reasons. I will be going to an interview for Microsoft in China pretty soon. It is about time something different happens! This bad economy affects even a really patient person like me. I will enjoy China for sure but it is a tough decision to choose whether to stay if I am hired. Like I said, I may have no choice but to end up doing it. I don't know what the future is going to bring for me but I try as hard as I can to remain positive although it is TOUGH sometimes. If you need anything, send me a PM anytime, I feel your pain and would be happy to help you.[/quote]

Your first step to finding a job is ignoring how bad the economy is in the U.S.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Your first step to finding a job is ignoring how bad the economy is in the U.S.
Grasshopper's words of wisdom for the day? I'm so glad that vomit from unemployed posters on this forum doesn't travel through cyberspace to land in your lap.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:49 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Grasshopper's words of wisdom for the day? I'm so glad that vomit from unemployed posters on this forum doesn't travel through cyberspace to land in your lap.
The three qualities a unemployed person needs

1.Positive
2.Creative
3.Confident

Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Quote:
The three qualities a unemployed person needs

1.Positive
2.Creative
3.Confident
Is this the pitch you give the people you counsel?
I bet they love it when you get them all hyped up to get jobs in McDonalds or Walmart or the corner market in Philly. Tell them they just need to keep it positive and creative and be confident. Ask for that extra 25 cents!

I have to say it is a real irony that you are supposedly a career counselor. The madmen are running the asylum. If you and Weekend Traveler got together, I bet you could write some really successful career guides.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:31 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I bet they love it when you get them all hyped up to get jobs in McDonalds or Walmart or the corner market in Philly. Tell them they just need to keep it positive and creative and be confident. Ask for that extra 25 cents!

I have to say it is a real irony that you are supposedly a career counselor. The madmen are running the asylum.

No we don't get people Jobs at McDonalds, more like Hospitals, and Banksn and the Airport.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
LOL!!! Thanks so much. I really needed a laugh this morning.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

I have to say it is a real irony that you are supposedly a career counselor. The madmen are running the asylum. If you and Weekend Traveler got together, I bet you could write some really successful career guides.

Funny - ask for that extra 25 cents. Well, I used to work at Burger King...wonder if I could get a job at McDonalds. At my age, it's questionable.

TVGuy, I think you probably mean well, but as Gypsy Soul said in another thread, give it another ten or so years and see how it is to be unemployed. Or, in my case (and I'm guesstimating on your age), give it another 17 or 18 years and try the pep talk.

I know you think an unemployed person should pay no attention to reality, but I don't think that is the way to go. Even when the markets crashed last year, had I not paid attention to reality I would have lost a LOT more money than I did.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:31 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Funny - ask for that extra 25 cents. Well, I used to work at Burger King...wonder if I could get a job at McDonalds. At my age, it's questionable.

TVGuy, I think you probably mean well, but as Gypsy Soul said in another thread, give it another ten or so years and see how it is to be unemployed. Or, in my case (and I'm guesstimating on your age), give it another 17 or 18 years and try the pep talk.

I know you think an unemployed person should pay no attention to reality, but I don't think that is the way to go. Even when the markets crashed last year, had I not paid attention to reality I would have lost a LOT more money than I did.

Unemployed for ten years?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Unemployed for ten years?
No, unemployed by choice (well, yeah and no) since 1/15/09. I was referring to the fact you are a young man in your early 30s, correct? Things are wayyyy different when you are a woman my age who will be 50 in September. It might take more than a pep talk to turn things around if you're ever in my shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search