Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:42 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times

Advertisements

There is no such thing as positive office politics. Office politics generally carries a negative connotation because it's usually associated with a soap opera. Woe is the world we live in where skinning and grinning is valued over coming to work and doing your job. The ridiculous thing is that employees (managers included) who actually have the company's best interests at heart who come to work and DO THEIR JOBS are actually fired for poor interpersonal skills, i.e. office politics. I will not work at a job where there's more time spent goofing off/having fun than actually getting the job done. I still stand by my previous statement that the least productive employees are the ones that spend more time cracking jokes while claiming to be working than actually doing a job. I have a motto that has served me well at work: "I'm not at work to make friends, I'm at work to do my job." I told my mentor/superiors this and they in many ways, agree with me. To the OP, consider yourself lucky to have that ex-employee be straight with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
One of tasks I do as Human Resources Manager is perform exit interviews on departing employees. I talk to nearly everyone who leaves the company including if possible people who are fired. I like to hear the observations of everyone.

Studies have shown that most managers will fail. It is a lot easier to hold on to a data entry job than a supervisory or management position. When you move into management you have to have unique skills in supervision and influence. Your people skills have to be used to sell ideas, and get people to do things for you that they may disagree with.

In other words most managers have to play office politics. So many people tell me that they will not play office politics and their hard work should stand for itself. That sounds good in theory but unless you have skills in working with people with conflicting needs and approaches and have an abilty to sell your ideas, your career as a manager will be short.

Do you know how to play positive and negative office politics? Tell us how you play the game?
I agree with this; this is why I don't want to move into management. I'm not good at persuading people to adopt my point of view...even when they are dead wrong and it's obvious they're dead wrong.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:17 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
The problem with managing people is that my boss wants certian things done. I have to get 50 people now, to go on this path. The problem is, it is like herding cats, if you have ever seen that utube...one wants to go this way, they are all running around in different directions, with ther own agendas. And I need to get them to the things my boss wants done. So, I am trying to head cats, while getting "feedback" from the top...The cats don't know what is going on at the top, and the top does not care what is going on with the cats. No wonder I come home exhausted every day.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:36 AM

18 posts, read 124,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
One of tasks I do as Human Resources Manager is perform exit interviews on departing employees. I talk to nearly everyone who leaves the company including if possible people who are fired. I like to hear the observations of everyone.

Studies have shown that most managers will fail. It is a lot easier to hold on to a data entry job than a supervisory or management position. When you move into management you have to have unique skills in supervision and influence. Your people skills have to be used to sell ideas, and get people to do things for you that they may disagree with.

In other words most managers have to play office politics. So many people tell me that they will not play office politics and their hard work should stand for itself. That sounds good in theory but unless you have skills in working with people with conflicting needs and approaches and have an abilty to sell your ideas, your career as a manager will be short.

Do you know how to play positive and negative office politics? Tell us how you play the game?
Maybe the person said this in response to your exit interview and not the actual job.

I had an exit interview in a previous job and everyone knew why I was leaving. I mean EVERYBODY knew. If you didn't, you were living under a rock. The COO interviewed me and asked me why I was leaving. I was taken a back for a bit, but realized he was playing stupid and wanted me to actually say it. So I played stupid (played the office politics game) and said I was just moving on.

In the majority of exit interviews, the person interviewing knows why the person is leaving and just plays stupid. Maybe, you as the HR manager should've known why this person was leaving. And if you did know, should not have played stupid.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:55 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,892 times
I don't know I believe the person said that because he or she meant the office BS-we all play office politics but some managers and co workers make jobs hard or in some cases unbearable-so as an HR manager wouldn't you have asked the employee for details instead of just assuming the statement was meant literally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search