Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 11:46 AM

914 posts, read 4,444,412 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I recently moved, and he is now looking for work. (We moved because I have a new position.) Every time he has to find work he has problems with the fact that he didn't graduate from high school. The reason he didn't graduate is because he left high school after 10th grade to attend college early. He first received an associates degree that was supposed to represent the equivalent of a high school diploma, and then went to to complete his bachelors degree.

The problem is that although he has an equivalent degree (the associates) and a bachelor's degree, many HR employees who screen applications take issue with the fact that he does not have a high school diploma. He has even been told he does not qualify for jobs requiring a high school diploma because of this, and often gets screened out automatically from electronic applications (unfortunately, often required by employers these days) because truthfully he has to check "no" in the "Did you graduate from high school?" box.

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with this? I have suggested he check yes to the high school diploma question anyway because 1.) he does have an equivalent and 2.) he could then explain his situation elsewhere on the application to avoid the automatic screen out, but he doesn't want to because he feels he would look bad for lying on his application.

This is extremely frustrating, and with the economy on the downturn, I think this hurts him even more: he looks bad against all the other applicants that did graduate from a high school, despite the fact that he actually has completed a higher level of education. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,452 times
So he has a BS/BA and is screened out for not having a high school diploma? That sounds weird, but it seems like he could just go take the GED test and get the requirement out of the way.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:14 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,735 times
Just lie. Who checks high school dipl anyways when there is a college degree listed anyways?

Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 PM

91 posts, read 528,058 times
No employer actually checks to see if you graduated or not.Just tell him to check "yes" to that question.
Problem solved.
I've applied to dozens of jobs that require a high school diploma(which I do have)but not one of them have ever checked/asked for that said diploma.
The only way they'll know otherwise is if he tells them.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
My boyfriend and I recently moved, and he is now looking for work. (We moved because I have a new position.) Every time he has to find work he has problems with the fact that he didn't graduate from high school. The reason he didn't graduate is because he left high school after 10th grade to attend college early. He first received an associates degree that was supposed to represent the equivalent of a high school diploma, and then went to to complete his bachelors degree.

The problem is that although he has an equivalent degree (the associates) and a bachelor's degree, many HR employees who screen applications take issue with the fact that he does not have a high school diploma. He has even been told he does not qualify for jobs requiring a high school diploma because of this, and often gets screened out automatically from electronic applications (unfortunately, often required by employers these days) because truthfully he has to check "no" in the "Did you graduate from high school?" box.

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with this? I have suggested he check yes to the high school diploma question anyway because 1.) he does have an equivalent and 2.) he could then explain his situation elsewhere on the application to avoid the automatic screen out, but he doesn't want to because he feels he would look bad for lying on his application.

This is extremely frustrating, and with the economy on the downturn, I think this hurts him even more: he looks bad against all the other applicants that did graduate from a high school, despite the fact that he actually has completed a higher level of education. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
He should contact the school that awarded him the "...associates degree that was supposed to represent the equivalent of a high school diploma,..."
We have "Early College" where students who complete the program successfully earn both a HS diploma and an Associate's Degree. He wouldn't be remiss, since techically, he did get both.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:03 AM

251 posts, read 767,611 times
Quote:

if his prior jobs physically didn't ask for a diploma, i would echo everyone else and just check no. but if in fact they did, i would echo the above poster and call the school that he received the associate degree from. if the school guaranteed him that, the dean could write an official letter declaring that his associates degree takes the place of his HS diploma.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,402 times
Just say yes and lie. Look at what those in high offices do and they get away with it on a regular basis. Those on the lower end of the totem pole for some reason feel the need to be honest, when crooks like Bush and Cheney get off Scot Free. Truth is, they should be dragged before the Hague. Aye, aye, aye. Just do what they do.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 AM

99 posts, read 335,122 times
Quote:

odd story. Well, I admire you're bf for having some level of integrity and not wanting to do that. Don't see that much anymore these days. Well anyways, the thing is that if that associates degree is really an equivalent of a high school degree, you might as well check the box. If not, then it's an error on the college that he earned that. I thought they're supposed to always check for the GED from high school as a qualifier to move on to college and earn that degrees, but I guess not in this case. The reality that I'm willing to bet on is that if your bf completed his bachelors degree, that's good enough. Most employers HR's are lazy and will not do a deep historical check, only the most recent when it comes to education and that's the end of that. I don't think you have to worry about getting caught. I've never heard of anyone getting rejected over anything related to high school in terms of a full time job because there's so much talks about completing college all the time that most companies don't bother checking anything before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search