Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:55 PM

60 posts, read 289,695 times

Advertisements

I don't recall discussing a timetable nor did I say that EVERYONE who is out of work is employable. I simply said that in this job market there are people who are being interviewed, at my company alone, who are not usually available in this manner and that EVERYONE who is out of work is not necessarily unemployable or lazy. Not sure what your point is unless it is just to arbitrarily disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I disagree, if someone was out of work for 15 months or more it would be easy to think they are not employable or lazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 04:57 PM

60 posts, read 289,695 times
Or it might be an alright work atmosphere; just not a terribly skilled interviewer. I have, unfortunately, known plenty of people who are good at what they do but when it comes to interviewing/candidate selection they really were shortsighted. If that was all I had to assess their intelligence on, I probably would've come to the wrong conclusion! I merely view this as a situation where I am able to bring someone in who is more likely to succeed in the role and able to ramp up quicker; someone who also seems more likely to stay if they are successful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I agree. Imagine the horrible work atmosphere you'd have to work in. Everybody would be setting you up for failure to see "if you really can do your job" ...... ugh okay that makes so much sense.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:55 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
I disagree, if someone was out of work for 15 months or more it would be easy to think they are not employable or lazy
You have quite a fan club, don't you? There are MANY reasons someone may be out of work for a year or more. What if they were ill? Had family problems and had to take care of a sick relative? Had a baby? Stayed home while their spouse worked...

Maybe the jobs conflicted with their lifestyle..some people do more than go to work and watch tv.

If you look at someone in your shoes, you could take almost ANY job. You're single without kids. You don't have any demands nor do you have to consider anyone but yourself.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You have quite a fan club, don't you? There are MANY reasons someone may be out of work for a year or more. What if they were ill? Had family problems and had to take care of a sick relative? Had a baby? Stayed home while their spouse worked...

Maybe the jobs conflicted with their lifestyle..some people do more than go to work and watch tv.

If you look at someone in your shoes, you could take almost ANY job. You're single without kids. You don't have any demands nor do you have to consider anyone but yourself.

I'm just being realistic, it would be easy for an employer to think negative if a person's resume stated their last job was in 2006 or 2007. Regardless of what the reasons are, i'm just saying it wouldn't look good. That's all I thought about when I was orking because I never wanted a different year to be on my resume from the time I sent in my resume.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
I have to agree. Life happens. People could be out of work for long periods of time due to different situations. Things are not always so black and white, and fit into neat little boxes all of the time as much as we would like.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
I'm just being realistic, it would be easy for an employer to think negative if a person's resume stated their last job was in 2006 or 2007. Regardless of what the reasons are, i'm just saying it wouldn't look good. That's all I thought about when I was orking because I never wanted a different year to be on my resume from the time I sent in my resume.
You are so off base it's pathetic. Gaps in employment are easily explained in the cover letter, and most employers are perfectly aware that people have life situations which arise that cause people to leave the labor market for a period of time. Get over yourself Fruit Loop Boy, and open your eyes. For someone who is a career counselor, you are really an epic fail.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:12 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk;9850741. [B
For someone who is a career counselor, you are really an epic fail[/b].
This is still so damn ironic I feel like nothing will ever be normal again.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times
Default This is so untrue

False! The longer someone is unemployed the harder it is going to be to land on your feet. Employers/hiring managers do not understand how tough it is out there and still assume in many cases that if you have a long gap of unemployment there is something terribly wrong with you. You can attempt to explain it all you want, but it is likely they are not interested in your excuses.

Most hiring managers truly believe that if you were laid off something is wrong with you (they would have found a spot for you if you were really good) and if you are still unemployed after a long period of time that others were sharp to not take a risk on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You are so off base it's pathetic. Gaps in employment are easily explained in the cover letter, and most employers are perfectly aware that people have life situations which arise that cause people to leave the labor market for a period of time. Get over yourself Fruit Loop Boy, and open your eyes. For someone who is a career counselor, you are really an epic fail.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
False! The longer someone is unemployed the harder it is going to be to land on your feet. Employers/hiring managers do not understand how tough it is out there and still assume in many cases that if you have a long gap of unemployment there is something terribly wrong with you. You can attempt to explain it all you want, but it is likely they are not interested in your excuses.

Most hiring managers truly believe that if you were laid off something is wrong with you (they would have found a spot for you if you were really good) and if you are still unemployed after a long period of time that others were sharp to not take a risk on you.
Oh please. I know MANY women who have left the labor force to be a stay-at-home mom who had ZERO problem re-entering the workforce five years later as lawyers, doctors, CPA's, professors, sales execs, you name it.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:41 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
You have to interview more applicants today to find a good candidate. Many applicants are not prepared and don't really seem to care. I remember a applicant that incorrectly spelled the job title and it was right on the application. I have also seen applicants that freeze during the interview. Applicants today have the disadvantage of the shear amount of information that is available to companies that use online databases and social networking sites to check up on potential applicants.
The fact that you mispelled "sheer" makes this ironic and lolworthy I'm a spelling nazi myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search