Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
False! The longer someone is unemployed the harder it is going to be to land on your feet. Employers/hiring managers do not understand how tough it is out there and still assume in many cases that if you have a long gap of unemployment there is something terribly wrong with you. You can attempt to explain it all you want, but it is likely they are not interested in your excuses.

Most hiring managers truly believe that if you were laid off something is wrong with you (they would have found a spot for you if you were really good) and if you are still unemployed after a long period of time that others were sharp to not take a risk on you.
That's nice to know that it's all my fault that my previous employer lost billions of dollars in the financial meltdown last fall, and that it's my fault that I didn't get an interview for 6 months seeing as how no one else is out of work and employers are just sitting there waiting for me to apply.

Have you been living under a rock for the last 12 months or are you one of those people who like to play the game of "blame the victim"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:47 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Oh Chicken Little, (Weekend Traveler) the sky is falling.
The recession is ending and I see a lot more jobs...so where will you post your nonsense after people are working again?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
The recession is ending and I see a lot more jobs...so where will you post your nonsense after people are working again?
It will be the same nonsense because Weekend Traveler will always have problems trying to find people because WT wants to pay $40k a year for someone who has a vast array of skills who would be insulted by a job offer at that salary.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
It will be the same nonsense because Weekend Traveler will always have problems trying to find people because WT wants to pay $40k a year for someone who has a vast array of skills who would be insulted by a job offer at that salary.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Quote:
Yes, and all those jobs lost from closing factories, failed institutions and shuttered retailers will be back. And climate change will reverse itself naturally, unlimited health care will be free to all and racism will vanish.
Good grief. It's going to be tough out there for a long time to come and lots of well qualified, educated and experienced folks will still have a hard time finding meaningful and well compensated work.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Yes, and all those jobs lost from closing factories, failed institutions and shuttered retailers will be back. And climate change will reverse itself naturally, unlimited health care will be free to all and racism will vanish.
Good grief. It's going to be tough out there for a long time to come and lots of well qualified, educated and experienced folks will still have a hard time finding meaningful and well compensated work.
We have to move into new sectors. We should be looking at other sorts of industry and business.

Better to think the cup is half full. There are so many negative people out there, you have to avoid them!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:58 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Quote:
We have to move into new sectors. We should be looking at other sorts of industry and business.

Better to think the cup is half full. There are so many negative people out there, you have to avoid them!
OK. I'll bite. What other industries and businesses? I'm not being negative. I'm being a realist. The job losses have been enormous. Unprecedented in over 50 years. And many of them came into being and were lost as a direct result of the bubble that has burst. The return to "normalcy" will proceed at a crawl no matter how optimistic we are.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
For the blue collar jobs I can certainly overlook poor spelling and grammar (although it would be nice if they could at least spell the name of the town they live in correctly). My biggest pet peeve is that they come in reeking of cigarette smoke, are rude, or having showered and shaved for two weeks.

For the white collar jobs, about 25-35% of the time I've found poor grammar and incorrect spelling on resumes, resumes that made no logical sense or were in fonts that hurt my eyes to read, cover letters that went on like soap operas, and people who are completely unqualified wasting everyone's time by applying for jobs that they only corelation between their resume and the job description is the ability to breathe.
"(although it would be nice if they could at least spell the name of the town they live in correctly)"

Maybe they just moved to Quonochontaug, Rhode Island...

Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times
Default Out of work= DEADWOOD??

Yes, in some cases the person who got laid off is not at fault, but I can tell you that many hiring managers still believe that if you were laid off from a company that is still in business that they chose you to be laid off because you are dead wood. And if you are out of work for a long period of time, you are not that good.

I do not believe this to be the case always but am just passing on common thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
That's nice to know that it's all my fault that my previous employer lost billions of dollars in the financial meltdown last fall, and that it's my fault that I didn't get an interview for 6 months seeing as how no one else is out of work and employers are just sitting there waiting for me to apply.

Have you been living under a rock for the last 12 months or are you one of those people who like to play the game of "blame the victim"?

Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Yes, in some cases the person who got laid off is not at fault, but I can tell you that many hiring managers still believe that if you were laid off from a company that is still in business that they chose you to be laid off because you are dead wood. And if you are out of work for a long period of time, you are not that good.

I do not believe this to be the case always but am just passing on common thinking.
Face it, you worked at some pathetic company that doesn't value it's employees, so why would it value applicants? Your hiring managers are obviously as dumb as dirt, you abuse employees by paying slave wages and retitile positions to pay stupidly low salaries, and have an incopetent recruiter who can't communicate effectively enough to those hiring managers so they can understand how they are costing the company bottom line dollars.

Now what were you saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search