Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times

Advertisements

Do you study for an interview?

What do you do when you can not answer a question?

How do you handle your nerves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
When I haven't interviewed for a long time I ask someone to do a mock interview with me.

I have never been not able to answer a question in an interview. Part of the mock interview is answering curveball questions.

I'm fortunate that I don't get rattled easily and am quick on my feet, so nerves generally arent' a problem. For those that do get nervous, I'd suggest thinking positively and being as prepared as possible.

If you've got an interview coming up, much luck to you!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:18 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
I think a few good points:

- don't get fazed or look nervous. Just be relaxed, use eye contact, and smile.

- read up on the company, it's mission, and it's industry and products. they generally would ask you about this, as a means of testing you.

- talk honestly and frankly about your resume/CV, and sell yourself. Say you can meet the challenge of the job, and that your skills will facilitate doing this.

- practice with friends and family.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:18 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Do you study for an interview?

What do you do when you can not answer a question?

How do you handle your nerves?
No, I already know all the answers probably better than anyone giving the interview.

I can answer all the questions, never been stumped yet.

I am what I am.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:21 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I don't believe in overly preparing. What I mean is do not read those silly interviewing for dumbasses books and memorize the stock answers. They sounds stupid, particularly the ones about 'what are your worse traits/and you answer "I get impatience because I work so hard and find it hard to slow down.." or something silly like that.

Be yourself, be polite, and if you can do the job, demonstrate it with examples. I do not think if you do everything right you will still get the job. There are so many factors...

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:25 PM

You need to be prepared to answer questions like "what are your worst personality traits" though.

Answer it with a twist on the negative like "I tend to procrastinate, but I work best under pressure and ahve never missed a deadline.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You need to be prepared to answer questions like "what are your worst personality traits" though.
That seems to be a question from an interviewer that doesn't know what he is looking for.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 PM

I disagree. I've been asked that in almost every interview I've been on, I think anymore it's a pretty run-of-the-mill question. If nothing else it shows how well a candidate can turn a negative into a positive, which is an important diplomatic skill to have in the workplace.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. I've been asked that in almost every interview I've been on, I think anymore it's a pretty run-of-the-mill question. If nothing else it shows how well a candidate can turn a negative into a positive, which is an important diplomatic skill to have in the workplace.
I am fortunate to be in my little niche world where we have always enjoyed near 100% employment or I wouldn't make it.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Lately I've been asked to qualify the stuff on my resume and/or give an example that shows I have a trait the potential employer is looking for.

For example, the interviewer might say something like.....here at abc company we value ethics. Can you give me an example of a situation you've been in where a manager has asked you to do something unethical? How did you handle it?

Or something like.......I see that you've been doing administrative work for xyz. Exactly what does that mean? What are your job duties and how do you think they've prepared you for this position?

Of course, I'm always asked.... why do you want to work for us? What can you bring to us that other candidates can't?

I'm also routinely asked industry-specific questions. How would you handle this client? things like that.

I think the most important thing is try your best to answer, but also realize that some questions don't have answers or are meant to stump you. In that case, smile, stay calm, and explain how you'd find the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search