Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:03 PM

31 posts, read 77,972 times

Advertisements

Im considering useing Linkedin to start my job search. Ive thought of targeting companys in my industry and finding out who has the power to hire and seeing if they have any openings. Linkedin charges about 5$ per message sent. Has anyone used this method before?

Last edited by coltconrad; 07-26-2009 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
If you have to pay, then you are putting money in someone elses pockets when you are out of a job. That's not good to do unless you have a 100% perfect lead, and if you did have that, then you wouldn't need Linked, you would already have their email address. I personally would just work on getting the contacts and then try and gleen their emails from my network contacts. You could run up quite a costly networking bill before you got a hit. Just my opinion.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltconrad View Post
Im considering useing Linkedin to start my job search. Ive thought of targeting companys in my industry and finding out who has the power to hire and seeing if they have any openings. Linkedin charges about 5$ per message sent. Has anyone used this method before?
Why don't you just send a connection invitation to whoever you want to contact with the appropriate note.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Why don't you just send a connection invitation to whoever you want to contact with the appropriate note.
Agreed. I didn't find my job on LinkedIn although I got an interview out of it for a job that I ultimately didn't want. You don't need to pay to use it as a networking tool. The more contacts you have, the more likely that they know someone who can pass your resume along to the hiring manager at a job you are interested in.

If you don't know many people, join some of the groups and network that way.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:26 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
I recommend never paying to any service to find you a job. There are plenty of services out there that get paid ONLY ONCE YOU GET THE JOB. Therefore its in there best interest for them to get you something. Good luck...I know times can be rough but hang in there

Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,051 times
My husband has been using it for months now and it hasn't helped at all. It's hard to connect to other people because you have to know someone and be connected to them before you can use their links to help you. My husband has tried contacting people in the cities we want to move to to try and network. He has joined groups and sent emails to possible contacts. What the usual response is a rejection because the person doesn't know you. Any groups you want to join have to approve you first before you can join and they are mostly for locals in the area, not for networking. So if you are networking in your own town, that might be useful.

LinkedIn is a nice idea, but it has too many restrictions to be useful.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:18 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
I wouldn't recommend paying for any type of "lead" since it can lead to nowhere.

I agree with others in trying to build up a network of connections instead. I've never used it to look for a job, but while I was interviewing, I would connect with recruiters, company HR people, and sometimes even managers that I interviewed with where I felt I had a good meeting with (regardless if I got the job or not). Through my connections, I was able to get in contact with some of their connections - which to me is the easiest way instead of paying to send a email to someone who might just delete your email anyway.

On a few occassions, someone I was connected me send me a email and asked me to pass along a their info/email to one of my contacts, which I was happy to do.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
I would consider first checking out this "guide" to using LinkedIn as a personal branding tool. Job searching is marketing and this guide can help.

http://mashable.com/2009/07/27/linkedin-personal-brand/

Old 07-27-2009, 11:44 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Linkdin can be a powerful tool, if used correctly. And I've never heard of linkdin charging anything. The power of linkdin. I use it to keep in contact with former colleagues, and it HAS gotten me good paying work.

Do a search in your industry and you'll probably be surprised on how many former coworkers are on there. Of course, it depends upon which industry you are in. I'm in Marketing, so it's only natural that I see a lot of former colleagues on there.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I would consider first checking out this "guide" to using LinkedIn as a personal branding tool. Job searching is marketing and this guide can help.

HOW TO: Build Your Personal Brand on LinkedIn
FANTASTIC article! Reps to you! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search