U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 07:22 PM

173 posts, read 934,772 times

Advertisements

I am now hearing applicant's into the 4 digits.
Is this having an adverse affect on the online applicant tracking system?
I wonder if they are just running out of server or storage space to handle all those files?
I actually saw a position pulled a week before the normal closing date, not that this means anything, so there is no way of knowing unless you can speak to the hiring manager directly.
I am beginning to wonder, with so few jobs available are employers just taking their sweet old time?
Are they holding out for that impossible or "perfect" candidate?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:29 PM

26,590 posts, read 57,278,005 times
Where I work we have one open position. They are holding out for the "perfect candidate." It's not a position that "needs" to be filled right away, but they see that they will have the need in the next six months or so. We've run a couple of ads and gotten nothing but applications from out of work construction guys, car sales guys, and general ne'er do wells who have had 15 jobs in the past two years (none of them relevent to the position) ...and a few randoms from Eastern Europe and Asia wanting us to sponsor them.

Our "applicant tracking system" is a couple of folders on my desk, so I can't say that we've had a computer slow down as a result.

Great question though, I look forward to the answers.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:38 PM

256 posts, read 836,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Where I work we have one open position. They are holding out for the "perfect candidate." It's not a position that "needs" to be filled right away, but they see that they will have the need in the next six months or so. We've run a couple of ads and gotten nothing but applications from out of work construction guys, car sales guys, and general ne'er do wells who have had 15 jobs in the past two years (none of them relevent to the position) ...and a few randoms from Eastern Europe and Asia wanting us to sponsor them.

Our "applicant tracking system" is a couple of folders on my desk, so I can't say that we've had a computer slow down as a result.

Great question though, I look forward to the answers.
What exactly is it that you do?

Old 07-26-2009, 07:43 PM

I work for a small company so I do several things. Why does it matter?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:02 PM

256 posts, read 836,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I work for a small company so I do several things. Why does it matter?

Well you seem to have been in the workforce for awhile. Just trying to get an idea of what your experience is.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 PM

I'm in my late 40's, been working since I was 16. I work in marketing and operations management for a small company, and had a similar role with my previous employer that was also a small company.

When you work for a small company you tend to wear a lot of hats and do a lot of different things. I actually don't have as many individual responsibilities with this company that I did with my last one, but I have a higher level of responsibility for the things I do with the new company. (Hope that makes sense.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search