Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,016,687 times

Advertisements

Don't these HR people have the brains to understand that someday, they too, in all their excellence and majesty, may find themselves in our shoes, and then maybe, just maybe, show a bit of decency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:32 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,853,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Are these 'HR people' under damn rocks or something? There is a serious recession in this country. Obviously many, many people were laid off.

Oh, yeah, everyone at GM was 'fired,' like all the real estate and mortgage people and everyone else involved in the hundreds of industries that crapped out since last Fall.
My computer wouldn't let me rep you for this. Great post though. We might also say that every teacher without work due to state budget cuts was "fired."

Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,853,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Don't these HR people have the brains to understand that someday, they too, in all their excellence and majesty, may find themselves in our shoes, and then maybe, just maybe, show a bit of decency?
I have heard that a lot of HR people are losing their jobs.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:36 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,370,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Are these 'HR people' under damn rocks or something? There is a serious recession in this country. Obviously many, many people were laid off.

Oh, yeah, everyone at GM was 'fired,' like all the real estate and mortgage people and everyone else involved in the hundreds of industries that crapped out since last Fall.
Tried to rep ya on that Gypsy but it said I gotta spread it around. Any hiring manager who doesn't have a clue to the layoffs and the economy shouldn't even be in that job! There was the thread about how ignorantly some folks applied to jobs and frustration on the part of hiring managers; "however" what about the folks such as yourself and others who actually know how to dress and participate in an interview? So it swings both ways for hiring managers and applicants. You would actually think these HR people would have a bit of compassion instead of some coming off "holer then thou."

I'm hearing about alot of arrogance on the part of hiring managers from friends and relatives actively searching for work. Funny, how some of these so-called hiring managers so quickly forget that at one time they were looking for work, and that their job could also end at anytime.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 07-29-2009 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,007,939 times
You guys all rock.
Maybe I should get a job as a professional forum poster...lol...

Old 07-29-2009, 03:44 PM

943 posts, read 3,148,708 times
I never said I agreed with the hiring managers who feel most people who were laid off are deadwood. I am just passing on what they keep telling me.

Many of the posters on this board are unemployed, angry and bitter and they are not thinking logically. Most people who are in a position of authority to hire someone are fat and happy. They are in the catbird seat and think very poorly of the unemployed. They are playing a power game with you. They are in power and all you can do is complain about them on city data, they do not care what you think. They are busy looking at resumes of the 1000 candidates for the job thinking this time I can hold out for the perfect candidate. They remember the late 1990s when all it took was a pulse to get a job and many applicants played the employers, it is pay back time now.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:55 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,007,939 times
Hell yeah, we're angry and bitter. Those fat cats, well, someday they are going to face their maker or karma is going to get them and yes, I believe that if you act in an arrogant or underhand fashion it will come back and bite you.

I have seen it over and over again.

And, they WILL care what we think because if you named names I would do my best to boycott their products and get others to boycott them as well.

We peons can have a big voice when we all unite.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,370,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I never said I agreed with the hiring managers who feel most people who were laid off are deadwood. I am just passing on what they keep telling me.

Many of the posters on this board are unemployed, angry and bitter and they are not thinking logically. Most people who are in a position of authority to hire someone are fat and happy. They are in the catbird seat and think very poorly of the unemployed. They are playing a power game with you. They are in power and all you can do is complain about them on city data, they do not care what you think. They are busy looking at resumes of the 1000 candidates for the job thinking this time I can hold out for the perfect candidate. They remember the late 1990s when all it took was a pulse to get a job and many applicants played the employers, it is pay back time now.
If and when the "shoe becomes on the other foot" to some of the arrogant HR people....you'll hear these fat cats screaming also and they'll be sitting on the opposite of that chair they sit in praying for a job.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:33 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,799,323 times
Quote:

AHHH the ole crawfishing begins. Everytime a thread is started and then everyone shows disdain and disapproval, the OP comes back and say, "I was Just saying" its not me, I just noticed" This only makes about 17 dozen posts the same way, or, blame it on your wife or husband. Right Jerry/Jane.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 PM

968 posts, read 2,610,754 times
Quote:
Many of the posters on this board are unemployed, angry and bitter and they are not thinking logically.
I think the issue of anger and bitterness comes from the outcome of being laid off versus quitting or being fired, which in many occasions are by choice. If I go to work and regularly under-perform, I cannot say I am mad or have any type of emotion about being separated from work. Likewise, if I take a job and quit for some reason, again this is a choice. A choice to quit or under-perform typically has nominal effect to a company. Few firms will implode by someone quitting or being fired.

On the other-hand, when a person is laid off, typically there is very little time to evaluate and plan. A layoff can literally destroy someone's life relatively quickly. Then to add insult to injury, you may be classified in the job market as "useless" because you are "out of work".

There should be some evaluation of terminology here. I don't think those who are laid off should be placed in the same basket as others who are unemployed due substantially to choice (via being fired or quitting).

While severance may get one by, it certainly is no reprieve for being pushed out of work for no concrete reason of your own other than the company merely needed to cut costs, or etc., etc, and etc..

I guess what is more concerning about this economy is that the composition of those unemployed and underemployed are those with skills. I fear that many will NOT be able to recapture where they were previously in their career, to little fault on their own. This really pours into another topic so I'll cut it short here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search