Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 09:51 PM

6 posts, read 14,915 times

Advertisements

I’m looking for a little help starting a job search. I will be graduating with an MA in English Language in Literature (with a concentration in Creative Writing) either during the 2010 Spring or Summer semester and need to find a professional position for after I graduate.

Most of my credentials are academic. I have two years experience substitute teaching and will have worked for 1 year in our Writing Center as a Graduate Assistant. I have a 3.85 GPA currently and expect that to remain steady or to rise slightly. I have a B.A. in English and a B.A. in Telecommunications (Media Production).

After I graduated in May 2006, I lived out of my parents' house and worked as a substitute teacher for two years. I sent out a lot of resumes to various businesses looking for work and only had one good hit. I was flown out to Madison, WI for an interview for a technical writing position, but I was not hired.

I have been in grad school since Aug. 2008, and had one interview for a state government job in Communications. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the position; however, I was one of five chosen for a panel interview. The job paid ~$58,000.

I suppose I am looking for several types of advice. I would like to know to which positions I should be applying, resources besides Craigslist and Monster.com, etc, I should be utilizing, and how I should market myself.

I was thinking about finding larger companies in certain cities and applying to any and all related positions to my field. I will also look for temp. or full-time faculty positions in community colleges. I might also just move to a larger city and find work until I can find a professional position someplace.

Moving after graduation is absolutely necessary. There is no work in the area around my school besides fast food, and I refuse to move back to my parents—they live in a town of 700 people and it is literally an hour away (at 70 mph) from a real shopping center.

It is important that I get out of cold, snowy winters. I get deeply depressed during the winter, and it affects me greatly. However, I don’t wish to live in the extreme heat either. I am trying to focus my search in Portland and Seattle, but I will also consider less preferential areas. New York, Tampa, Northern California (maybe Sacramento), Boston, and Baltimore are also on my list; although I am pretty much settled on the Pacific Northwest.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Do employers come to your university for on-campus interviews?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:17 PM

145 posts, read 609,805 times
Try going to state websites and university websites and look under careers or jobs links.

Here is the link to jobs in Kansas... for example

Civil Service Job Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search