Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,454,199 times

Advertisements

you people are stalking this woman, chasing her down on FB, LI etc...

but none the less you are wrong. This is not about a guarantee, she no where mentioned that. This is about principle. Bottom line.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I've already stated something similar in the Education forum, but I'll repeat it here and hope it hasn't been said too often already:

college does NOT guarantee any job. people who go into college expecting to have a job waiting for them when they graduate are, frankly, idiots. the whole point of college, really, the only point of a 4 year liberal arts college, is to provide an education. Trinia got an education. I don't know anything about Monroe College, but it doesn't sound like a technical or vocational school. it sounds like this girl would have been better off going to one of those.

there are people who don't do much research into choice of major besides what MSNBC or Newsweeks states what are the "next hot job fields". these folks, mostly kids fresh out of high school, go into college thinking that if they get a certain degree in a certain major, they are guaranteed a job after graduation. they do the bare minimum it takes to get a diploma. many don't bother w/ internships ("but, there's no pay!" tough, it's experience), don't go to workshops or fairs held by the college, don't sit in on lectures when alumni come to speak, and basically just coast through college. then they get PO when Judgment Day comes and it turns out that maybe they should have put in more effort into college. I'm guessing by her GPA alone that this Trina girl did the bare minimum. did she even have a job or volunteer work while in school so she'd have work experience?

I think the lawsuit is the biggest load of bull I've read in a long time (well, right up there w/ landlords suing tenants over stuff said on Twitter, but that's a whole 'nother topic). she says she didn't get career placement services when it sounds like she did. she got her resume on the school's system. can I, as someone who hasn't paid a penny to Monroe College do the same? nope. there, she got what she paid for. whether she feels it was enough is, of course, up for debate, but if she went in there expecting the college to hand her a job, she's a fool. and what is the lawsuit for BTW? why the whole tuition cost? she got an education and a degree. if it does turn out she didn't get enough out of the career services, then refund her that portion of the tuition (however much that would be, who knows). to sue for the whole amount is ridiculous.

IMO, it sounds like she went into this college w/ her eyes shut and little research done. she may not have picked the right college or the right degree for her career choices. she sure has heck didn't put in a reasonable effort to demand a job 4 months after graduation in one of the worst economies this country has ever seen. that GPA isn't going to get her far, not from that school and not in this economy. and I'm laughing that she thinks a perfect attendance record is going to get her hired (it may have gotten her a gold star in grade school, but, AFAIK, employers don't care if you miss a day in college). it doesn't sound like she put in her own effort into finding a job. did she go from business to business dropping off her resume? did she follow up on every place her resume was sent? or just she just leave it all up to the college? it seems like her expectations of what a career service office is supposed to do is a bit skewed. did she expect that college to call up hundreds of businesses per day per student and ask "can you interview this person?". she may complain that the school is putting more effort into getting those w/ 4.0 GPAs a job (if that's indeed the case), but in college, you get what you put in. those kids w/ the 4.0 GPAs probably stood out more so than she did. it's a fact of life that those who stand out get ahead. doesn't look like she stood out at all while in school

guess she's making up for lost time b/c, boy, is she standing out now! even if she did have a LinkedIn profile, it's going to get buried beneath all the news stories and blogs about her (even her Facebook profile is on pg 2). not really the public profile you'd want to project to potential employers, IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 06:56 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,289,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Wrong. GPA is almost never shared with HR. It is too bad it was revealed publicly; however, her GPA isn't horrible. She passed her classes. Has a degree and could be prepared for training and supervision. Everybody has to work. Blacklisting this lady from work because she doesn't have a 3.9999 GPA is BS.
congrats, she did the bare minimum needed to graduate. she shouldn't have wasted her money if that was all she was planning on doing. and it doesn't sound like she was blacklisted at all. her resume got out there, she got some call backs. what more can she expect in this economy 4 months after graduation? her exact GPA may not be relevant, but it implies that she didn't excel in her courses which may lead employers to wonder about her grasp in the subject matter.

competition is tough in the best of times. she's competing against a lot of grads w/ the same/similar degrees, many of whom may have better GPAs, gone to higher tier schools, have work/field related experience, or all the above. doesn't look like she has any of those things from what I've read

Old 08-04-2009, 06:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,289,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
you people are stalking this woman, chasing her down on FB, LI etc...

but none the less you are wrong. This is about a guarantee, she no where mentioned that. This is about principle. Bottom line.....
honey, whose stalking? all you have to do is google her name and the results come up in .0001 seconds. Welcome to the 21st century, where ANYONE w/ the tiniest bit of curiosity can google you and learn things about you, sometimes things that are better kept under wrapped.

and what principle is this about. did she receive help? yes, her resume got out there and she got some call backs. she got an education and a degree. she got what she paid for.

Last edited by eevee; 08-04-2009 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: misread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
honey, whose stalking? all you have to do is google her name and the results come up in .0001 seconds. Welcome to the 21st century, where ANYONE w/ the tiniest bit of curiosity can google you and learn things about you, sometimes things that are better kept under wrapped.

and what principle is this about. did she receive help? yes, her resume got out there and she got some call backs. she got an education and a degree. she got what she paid for. please point out where the college guaranteed her ANYTHING
No one can google me and find a thing, so don't throw that line this way.

This is about the principle of she is being billed for a service that she is NOT receiving. And no, you do NOT know what help she has gotten or not gotten. While I can not attest to those things either, I can attest to the fact that this very thing is happening to many, many other people in this country. She is fed up with the mediocrity of it all and kudos to her!
You learn to read with comprehension and you will see that this about principle. Nothing more, nothing less.....she is looking to have anything handed to her, she wants what she is paying for. Just as you would sunshine, if the shoe was on your foot.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,833,396 times
Quote:
This is about the principle of she is being billed for a service that she is NOT receiving. And no, you do NOT know what help she has gotten or not gotten. While I can not attest to those things either, I can attest to the fact that this very thing is happening to many, many other people in this country. She is fed up with the mediocrity of it all and kudos to her!
You learn to read with comprehension and you will see that this about principle. Nothing more, nothing less.....she is looking to have anything handed to her, she wants what she is paying for. Just as you would sunshine, if the shoe was on your foot.
Billed for a service? Where was it in the article that stated she was billed for a service she did not receive? Can she produce this bill for this particular service you are talking about?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Billed for a service? Where was it in the article that stated she was billed for a service she did not receive? Can she produce this bill for this particular service you are talking about?

do you think for one minute that this college is going to offer any service, large or small and not be paid? Not hardly, afte rall it IS a corporation. This fee was built into her tuition that she will have to pay.

Her tuition bill is enough proof of what she is being billed.

edit to add:
the entire article is about what she is having to pay for and NOT receiving.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,833,396 times
Quote:
do you think for one minute that this college is going to offer any service, large or small and not be paid? Not hardly, afte rall it IS a corporation. This fee was built into her tuition that she will have to pay.

Her tuition bill is enough proof of what she is being billed.
She got an education. That is what the tuition is for. Which is why I don't understand why she's suing for the supposedly entire cost of tuition (debatable at best). If it isn't specifically carved out as a service with a separate bill, I don't believe she has a leg to stand on. The burden of proof is on her to prove that the school did not provide the placement service on her behalf. I guess we just all have to wait and see how her suit pans out.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
She got an education. That is what the tuition is for. Which is why I don't understand why she's suing for the supposedly entire cost of tuition (debatable at best). If it isn't specifically carved out as a service with a separate bill, I don't believe she has a leg to stand on. The burden of proof is on her to prove that the school did not provide the placement service on her behalf. I guess we just all have to wait and see
how her suit pans out.

You can go to the schools web site or read the posts here with comprehension and you will see that this assistance is part of the package.
Sp, no she doesn't need a separate bill for that.

She does have a leg to stand on, she is calling not only this school but all the others that are using this as a ploy for students. It is time they are held accountable.

I don't think she would have a problem proving what had NOT been done.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,440,049 times
Chromekitty: Don't you think you've belabored the point enough? I don't know whether or not you've set a posting record but in the last 12 hours I think you've submitted 63 posts just on this thread. You've made your point ... maybe you should go bury that well-chewed bone in the yard for a while and take a rest.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Chromekitty: Don't you think you've belabored the point enough? I don't know whether or not you've set a posting record but in the last 12 hours I think you've submitted 63 posts just on this thread. You've made your point ... maybe you should go bury that well-chewed bone in the yard for a while and take a rest.

if you are counting or care about how many posts that I have made here then I would say you have the issue, not I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search