Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:51 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times

Advertisements

What was the college suppoed to do, create a job for her? The economy sucks! It is not possible for the college to give people jobs when there are more college graduates looking for jobs than there are jobs.

The nerve!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
No way will she win this lawsuit and I hope she gets dumped with a bunch of legal fees to add to (gasp!) the outstanding student loans. Silly moo.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
I am all for personal accountability, but I have to say, I agree with her. I think if you bought $70,000 of anything and it didn't live up to what was promised in its published advertising, I'd be pretty upset too and would want my money back. Its about time colleges were held to the same standards! These diploma mills are popping up all over the place and robbing youth blind. Maybe they'll start paying attention and actually help people get ahead.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
How immature.

There is so much she fails to realize, one being that college's do not guarantee you job placement.
Yes, everyone knows that...But, at the end of the day one needs a job. And colleges allure students with that promise. A promise for a better life. So don't be afraid to spend your $ with us
Quote:
The second being that its a very tough job market right now and third, she's only been looking since April!! Pul-lease. It too me 10 months to find my first job after I graduated.
And, if she doesn't get a job until April 2010, can she come to you for help and financial support? Pul-lease...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
While I (nor my DH) are advocates of today's sue happy society, I do commend this lady for doing this.
I do not believe for one minute that she is looking for a free ride. What I do think is she is put out with is the fact this so-called college is offering her placement assistance, even lifetime assistance and have yet to do a single thing for her. It is past the time of accountability for these institutions. They are pulling people in to gain a graduate (statistic) and some beans while placing false hopes.... that is just plain wrong! This young lady went for an IT degree, let us think back just for a brief moment. The IT sector in this country is offshored to india, philippines and pakistan and most recently they are going to mexico and ireland. Yet, these schools continue to lie and place false hopes.

The truth of the matter is they could care less about the student and only their own bottom line.

So, kudos to her.....I hope she succeeds and sets a precedent for accountability.
I also commend her!
While the legal aspect doesn't stand on solid ground, she highlights a real problem. When discussing unemployment and someone complains he/she couldn't land a job, many jump instantly with the question - Did you go to collage? Did you invest in your education?
These questions are thrown automatically in the air. But what these "automats" fail to realize is that collage education doesn't solve the problem of unemployment. Not anymore.
Why are some minority groups in our society poor? Of course, they didn't get a collage education!
But college become ridiculously expensive and the graduates start their lives with a load on their shoulders in the form of education loans. And in the current economy getting a job is very difficult.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
And, if she doesn't find a job until April 2010, can she come to you for help with financial support? Pul-lease...
Can I come to you for financial support because my college education got a lot more expensive due to frivolous lawsuits?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I am all for personal accountability, but I have to say, I agree with her. I think if you bought $70,000 of anything and it didn't live up to what was promised in its published advertising, I'd be pretty upset too and would want my money back. Its about time colleges were held to the same standards! These diploma mills are popping up all over the place and robbing youth blind. Maybe they'll start paying attention and actually help people get ahead.
Monroe is hardly a "diploma mill." They've been around as a brick and mortar liberal arts college since the 1930's.

Colleges are in the business of educating people. They are not in the business of finding people jobs.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Yes, everyone knows that...But, at the end of the day one needs a job. And colleges allure students with that promise. A promise for a better life. So don't be afraid to spend your $ with us
And, if she doesn't get a job until April 2010, can she come to you for help and financial support? Pul-lease...

I also commend her!
While the legal aspect doesn't stand on solid ground, she highlights a real problem. When discussing unemployment and someone complains he/she couldn't land a job, many jump instantly with the question - Did you go to collage? Did you invest in your education?
These questions are thrown automatically in the air. But what these "automats" fail to realize is that collage education doesn't solve the problem of unemployment. Not anymore.
Why are some minority groups in our society poor? Of course, they didn't get a collage education!
But college become ridiculously expensive and the graduates start their lives with a load on their shoulders in the form of education loans. And in the current economy getting a job is very difficult.
One way that colleges could cut costs is to cut all placement assistance programs. Sounds like a good idea to me. One less thing to have someone sue over.

Nobody forces anyone to go to college.

And there ARE jobs out there in I/T. My friend's son just landed a $100K a year job with Northrop Grumman. It's the first "real" job he's ever had, he graduated in May. Those jobs aren't going to average students, they are going to the best and brightest. Average doesn't cut it these days.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:20 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
This was bound to happen. Children are constantly drilled with the notion that going to college guarantees you a job and a decent salary. The truth is that today many tradesmen and tradeswomen make more money than many college graduates.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
I know someone who went to Monroe College. She was an idiot. The only reason she didn't get fired is because she whined to HR every time her boss told her she was doing something wrong. HR at this red tape-ridden company has more power than your manager.

She didn't follow directions, she would talk on the phone to Puerto Rico or IM all day, and then rush through her assignments between 4:00 and 4:45 PM and, not surprisingly, screw them up. She didn't look at the file sizes, or the dates, or the error report, or anything! What she did could have been done by an Excel macro with fewer errors. What she was supposed to produce were files that I used in calculating numbers in our financial statements. I gave up trying to get her to do it right (and her boss understood completely) so I just did it myself because it would be done correctly and faster. We were so happy when she resigned because of the "oppressive" work environment. We don't know where she ended up and we don't care (although we feel sorry for her employer).

I hope that this is merely a coincidence that the one person I know from Monroe College is just as unrealistic as the subject of this thread. Even if it isn't, haven't these drama queens ever heard of "buyer beware"?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
This is another link to the story

Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job - CNN.com

Her GPA is at a 2,7
I mean, there are plenty of people that have a better grade point average then that so she has competition on that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search