Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times

Advertisements

Wow. Just...wow.

College Grad Can't Find Job, Wants $$$ Back | NBC New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:06 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
How immature.

There is so much she fails to realize, one being that college's do not guarantee you job placement. The second being that its a very tough job market right now and third, she's only been looking since April!! Pul-lease. It too me 10 months to find my first job after I graduated.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I hope that not only does it get tossed out, but that she has to reimburse the college for their defense fees. T alk abotu frivilous!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 AM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times
I was extremely lucky when I graduated, I fell into a job right away. I was working 3 weeks after I graduated. But I would never in a million years have tried to blame the university for my lack of employment even if it would have been 3 years!

What qauk of a lawyer would take this case? I think he should have his licens suspended for wasting the courts time with such garbage!

But either way, now she'll never find a job because no employer is going to one someone so quick to sue in their business! Because if they did hire her they can expect a lawsuit themselves. I hope she likes living under that bridge when she gets there.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:47 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
She is going to make even harder to find a job. How many employers want to hire someone who is so quick to sue their college? Not very many. I am a college graduate who can't find a job. I am not suing anyone.

This article is something that just shows everyone that many of us fail to take responsibility for our own decisions. She is the one who chose her own major. She could have chosen something that wasn't going to be outsourced. She could be focusing on making herself more marketable instead of messing around with this lawsuit. Besides, if she is unemployed and having such a hard time financially, how is she affording this lawyer?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:29 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
While I (nor my DH) are advocates of today's sue happy society, I do commend this lady for doing this.

I do not believe for one minute that she is looking for a free ride. What I do think is she is put out with is the fact this so-called college is offering her placement assistance, even lifetime assistance and have yet to do a single thing for her. It is past the time of accountability for these institutions. They are pulling people in to gain a graduate (statistic) and some beans while placing false hopes.... that is just plain wrong! This young lady went for an IT degree, let us think back just for a brief moment. The IT sector in this country is offshored to india, philippines and pakistan and most recently they are going to mexico and ireland. Yet, these schools continue to lie and place false hopes.

The truth of the matter is they could care less about the student and only their own bottom line.

So, kudos to her.....I hope she succeeds and sets a precedent for accountability.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
How immature.

There is so much she fails to realize, one being that college's do not guarantee you job placement. The second being that its a very tough job market right now and third, she's only been looking since April!! Pul-lease. It too me 10 months to find my first job after I graduated.

I think its a great way to get her point across. The economy is failing the next generation of Americans. She worked hard to add to the economy, not support the academic institutions in the United States.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
She is going to make even harder to find a job. How many employers want to hire someone who is so quick to sue their college? Not very many. I am a college graduate who can't find a job. I am not suing anyone.

This article is something that just shows everyone that many of us fail to take responsibility for our own decisions. She is the one who chose her own major. She could have chosen something that wasn't going to be outsourced. She could be focusing on making herself more marketable instead of messing around with this lawsuit. Besides, if she is unemployed and having such a hard time financially, how is she affording this lawyer?

Your comment is asinine ! She should/could have picked a career that wouldn't be outsourced? That is a very viable industry that has served this country and it's citizens well for many, many years.

Now corporate America has gotten very greedy and are shipping it out of here. ( along with almost every other industry in this country) My suggestion to you is to do some research and learn of what you speak.

Greed is the downfall of this country and mindsets such as yours will only cater to those who are after such greed.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:46 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Your comment is asinine ! She should/could have picked a career that wouldn't be outsourced? That is a very viable industry that has served this country and it's citizens well for many, many years.

Now corporate America has gotten very greedy and are shipping it out of here. ( along with almost every other industry in this country) My suggestion to you is to do some research and learn of what you speak.

Greed is the downfall of this country and mindsets such as yours will only cater to those who are after such greed.
Well said Chromekitty.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
There are "unorthodox" ways that people catch public attention to get a job.
However, I suspect that this idiotic and publicized lawsuit will successfully get her blacklisted from any possible job with access to mass media. She has no "point to get across"- there are no guarantees about jobs/college, never were, aren't gonna be. I frankly think college is largely a huge scam at this point in the world, and is largely a way for middle-class kids to run away from home and get someone else to pay for it (or borrow it).
Then again, I live in a very over-educated area- Boston area- and think it's absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search