Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:41 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Just because you have a 2.7 GPA does not mean you cannot find a job. My GPA in college was 2.75, but I had a 3.75 in English, and I am smart. Your GPA does not truly represent exactly who you are as an potential employee for a specific position. A high GPA is good, but there are more traits and qualities you will need for a particular job, such as a particular personality trait, reliability, some experience and a positive attitude. I realize we are in a recession and job hunting is difficult, but today's graduates need to realize that in the real world, your GPA and school name are relatively unimportant. There are many people with degrees who cannot find jobs. Education is extremely important, but a GPA and a degree will not get you a job. I had to learn this too, as I am sure you will. I have held very good jobs and it had nothing to do with my GPA. I received a GED and did not finish my last year of High School.
GPA matters more for students who want to rely on campus career centers for employment, as Ms. Thompson expected to do. Most of the employers who come to campuses to recruit do screen students based on GPA, so in this situation, GPA is important. Some employers make 3.0 the minimum...others ask for 3.5. If you have the initiative and communication skills to pursue employment by making connections and selling yourself, then a low GPA won't stand in your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 12:46 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
GPA matters more for students who want to rely on campus career centers for employment, as Ms. Thompson expected to do. Most of the employers who come to campuses to recruit do screen students based on GPA, so in this situation, GPA is important. Some employers make 3.0 the minimum...others ask for 3.5. If you have the initiative and communication skills to pursue employment by making connections and selling yourself, then a low GPA won't stand in your way.
Yes, it does also depend on your field I agree. I just think students should not rely solely on that aspect, because if you study any employment sites and advice, they will tell you that you have to really possess other qualities. I am sure GPA matters if you are going to be a Lawyer or Doctor. It depends on the Field.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
This is true. I work in IT, and the majority of companies I applied to said they would throw away (without reading) any resume that shows a GPA of under 3.0. Right or wrong, that is how corporate America treats the resume's of recent college grads going into IT.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is true. I work in IT, and the majority of companies I applied to said they would throw away (without reading) any resume that shows a GPA of under 3.0. Right or wrong, that is how corporate America treats the resume's of recent college grads going into IT.
It's nothing new. When my husband graduated with a computer engineering degree over 25 years ago most companies wanted a minimum 3.0 GPA.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:02 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I bet all those folks over on wall street all had a 3.0 GPA in SOMETHING. Too bad common sense is no longer a job priority.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:05 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I bet all those folks over on wall street all had a 3.0 GPA in SOMETHING. Too bad common sense is no longer a job priority.
Who says they don't have common sense? Common sense isn't mutually exclusive with their greedy sociopathic behavior and selfish pursuit of actions that were financially beneficial to themselves but bankrupting the country.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:59 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imasurvivor2009 View Post
WOW you are a vague poster and quite a condescending one. Working on 2 masters? Devry doesn't count. Are you a manager at a real estate firm? Did you hire someone who graduated with a masters' in basketweaving?

Yes I agree with the vocational schools. I uphold a lot of respect for people who want to do make something of themselves in a field that serves an actual purpose to society (when in reality should be making people money- not grand theft like what this stupid Congress and administration is doing). If someone wants to be an electrician? People need electricians.

However you are obviously poor at English and comprehensive skills yourself for a "college grad" (which I do not believe). Your post holds no facts or information, it's just bias.

I have family members who were first generation immigrants who went from rags to riches by getting a degree in a scientific field. I only wish I was able to do that. They worked incredibly hard for it and deserve every penny they make, which is quite a bit. The trouble is that our lacking public education system doesn't expose students enough to the outside world to where they can begin to set life goals and find an interest in, well anything outside of themselves. I went to school purposely seeking a direction as to what career I wanted to pursue, and I found it. It was much harder than the major I thought I wanted.

My friends in college are all either successful in their chosen fields because they're competant; the others just needed that "worthless piece of paper" in order to pursue a career of their choice, such as teaching.

You also miss the point that college or just your education is one of the only objective measures of what your skillsets are. And i'm referring to a real school. Sorry, I'd take a degree from Iowa State much more seriously than one from Phoenix U or a Jr. college. I would take a candidate from Iowa State, the Naval Academy, Boston College or Rutgers more seriously than one from Harvard, Stanford or USC. Through coworkers and peers, it's known what type of worker you're going to get because we're aware of the standards they uphold students to in order to graduate. But then again, you don't know that unless you work with college grads or if you didn't go to college yourself.

BTW, managers are a dime a dozen. It's too obvious that most managers get their job by "knowing somebody"; not by having any sort of education or even the basic knowledge of what their subordinates do. My 1st manager out of college did nothing to prove himself in an intense work environment. His subordinates such as myself had to earn the credentials before he did. And no he didn't have people skills. He just sat there and dwadled on Yahoo or beefed about football instead of acting like a competant leader.

We knew exactly who was talent and who wasn't. He got the money, he didn't get the respect. It's like hiring an NFL coach who without training or experience in the game. Sure he gets the money but his team fails and the fans hate him.

Knowledge is a valuable tool. You just proved that you can't evaluate or recognize it. I'm sorry to you and those you manage. BTW, LSAT is a lot easier than getting an SAT. I hope your doctor passed organic chem and microbiology before he treats whatever is bugging you, because according to you that knowledge is worthless.
That is the problem with the US job market. It is full of BS and people get hired by the name of their school or their GPA numbers, and then do not know what the hell they are doing, yet move up the ladder. For example, GW Bush. Attended and graduated from Harvard or Princeton (Can't remember which school) with a 2.75 GPA and he became President! Most of the snooty schools are filled with students who glide thru on their families name etc. I also think that people learn differently and may not excel academically, but be very intelligent and creative. There are too many variables. I have seen people with high GPAs who could not add two and three together. They may retain what they learned in a partiuclar class and ace a test, but not really "know" about the subject or have any analysis of the subject. It is just a class to glide thru until graduation. It is all really BS, as Nancy Grace would say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search