Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:15 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Time is a ticking "Low time"
Is this some sort of ghetto slang? Please enlighten me.

Time is on my side, yes it is....

Thanks for your concern about me. I'll be moving next week so maybe I won't be around much online to read it, but thanks, I'll be thinking of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:50 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times
Mary Lee 54, thank you so much for the suggestions. This will be my project for next week. I have already filled out the information on USA Jobs. T

Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd rather have a thread like that than someone who obsesses whether they should pause the rerun of Saved By The Bell they are watching or not when the phone rigns, because it might be someone calling to alk about a job. Or asking which way to button their shirt before an interview. Or complaining that their attempt to defraud the State of an extra week of unemployment didn't work and they ahve no money, so they can't buy groceries. You're how old?

Old 08-07-2009, 06:33 PM

304 posts, read 745,142 times
Geez Louise,

I am wide-eyed reading this stuff in here! TV Guy is freaking hilarious! Sugarpop! haha! But seriouly, this back and forth is kinda sad with everyone trying to prove themself one way or another - someone is better at this or that, someone has more money (your exchange value under capitalism is no flattering way to equalize yourself or prove yourself better!!), someone has better contacts, etc etc.

Lets face it, there are different "types" of people out there. there are the uber-together types who have done everything right since the minute they exited the tunnel, those who have kissed the right amount of arse and benefited from it, those who are socially advanced and have enough contacts to make a Paris Hilton's cell phone look bad, those who just know how to network like mad men and are in tune with all the hip blog 'n social media wares to invent and peddle. Then there are those who just got a job when they were young and had enough sense and stamine to stay put long enough to move up that link chain of pay raises and job titles. There are also folks who much like myself got a prestigious degree from a froo froo college in Nothing and the worthlessness of that piece of paper rivals the modern day in print newspaper. About ten plus years later than I should, I am trying to figure out how to start over and do something sensible if not a bit dull to me. Those of us who lucked out and landed that swanky "IT" "it" job and those of us who frittered around half our adult lives and having nothing to show for nothing at 35 are all in the same boat really: the human boat. Lets lend each other our ears and fill our hearts with compassion instead of adding more negativity and division to this already barren landscape of modern post industrial life. Good luck to everyone including myself!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
"Ms. Big Time." Ok, I like it.

I guess compared to your miserable existance, I am living pretty large. Drank a nice bottle of Champagne from my wine collection which is worth more than you make in a year last night with dinner, headed up your way tonight to spend the weekend--I need to meet with my CPA to determine the tax implications of an investment into a business that we're considering. We'd be creating three new jobs in the next six months or so if we do this, sorry no openings for people named Solomon, because well, I just don't like the name.

We have reservations at the Pluckemin Inn tomorrow night, have you eaten there? Oh wait, of course not, it costs a bit more than a box of Fruit Loops.

Did I tell you I just bought a new car? So my son is driving my old one, I've got a new one, and then there's also the Roadster in the garage that I only drive now and then. Oh wait, you don't have any cars, do you? Sorry, not giving you one of the THREE I own. And no loans on them, either.

And while I'm up north I think I'll stop into the Verizon store in the Short Hills Mall and look at trading in my old Blackberry for a new Storm. Oh, sorry, you don't have a cell phone either.

And I've got a guy coming next week to give me an estimate on painting the outside of my house. It's a custom built 4/3 with a three car garage. Oh sorry, I forgot, you're renting a a studio apartment in central Philthadelphia, and with your current career track, that's about as good as it's ever going to get.

Um, so what do you have other than $600 in the bank, a low level social services job with no advancement potential, and a bunch of VHS copies of Brady Bunch reruns?

Yeah, I guess next to you I AM "Ms. Big Time."

Maybe we can get some coffee since I like you

Old 08-07-2009, 06:42 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
She's not collecting unemployment, you dillweed!
Oh I forgot she has a business partner

Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
Lets face it, there are different "types" of people out there. there are the uber-together types who have done everything right since the minute they exited the tunnel, those who have kissed the right amount of arse and benefited from it, those who are socially advanced and have enough contacts to make a Paris Hilton's cell phone look bad, those who just know how to network like mad men and are in tune with all the hip blog 'n social media wares to invent and peddle. Then there are those who just got a job when they were young and had enough sense and stamine to stay put long enough to move up that link chain of pay raises and job titles. There are also folks who much like myself got a prestigious degree from a froo froo college in Nothing and the worthlessness of that piece of paper rivals the modern day in print newspaper.
And then there's TVSG.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Maybe we can get some coffee since I like you
I'd rather buy the homeless guy on the corner a cup of coffee, and I'm sure he'd offer more interesting conversation.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Oh I forgot she has a business partner
She doesn't ahve a business partner, she's not in business. Again, an epic fail in reading comprehension.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
I'd rather buy the homeless guy on the corner a cup of coffee, and I'm sure he'd offer more interesting conversation.
TVSG did the inviting ... he would buy you the cup of coffee!

Ah to be a fly on the wall if THAT coffee klatch ever happened!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search