Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,316,669 times

Advertisements

thanks for all the advice...I did it today after I firmed up the other deal. I did exactly what someone had said...I just I reconsidered my options and that this isn't the best fit for me and wished them luck. That was it. I DID do it via email and although I feel a little weird about that, I had not once (in 5 interviews) spoken to anyone on the phone...everything was done via email. (I mean everything from setting up all of the interviews to the offer to everything!) So...I just emailed since that seemed to be how they like to do business.
Now I start my new job next week. It's funny as it pays less than the one I just turned down but it was a bettr fit with a much better long term pay once I factor in commissions.
Anyway, thanks agaiN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 06:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
thanks for all the advice...I did it today after I firmed up the other deal. I did exactly what someone had said...I just I reconsidered my options and that this isn't the best fit for me and wished them luck. That was it. I DID do it via email and although I feel a little weird about that, I had not once (in 5 interviews) spoken to anyone on the phone...everything was done via email. (I mean everything from setting up all of the interviews to the offer to everything!) So...I just emailed since that seemed to be how they like to do business.
Now I start my new job next week. It's funny as it pays less than the one I just turned down but it was a bettr fit with a much better long term pay once I factor in commissions.
Anyway, thanks agaiN!
Good for you and hope it works out beautifully for you!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I memorize every line and yes I laughed at the things that you signed. And darling yes I read it right from the start because of the words.
Sorry but this doesn't compute. Must be old age - those synapses just don't fire sometimes. Translation requested (English, please) along with explanation of relevance. Thanks so much.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Anyway, thanks agaiN!
Good luck with the new role!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:25 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Way to go Twin!

I received a job offer, I accepted and gave notice to my employer.

A week later the new job called and rescinded.

Talk about feeling awkward.....

Evidently someone "upstairs" ordered a hiring freeze.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaz View Post
way to go twin!

I received a job offer, i accepted and gave notice to my employer.

A week later the new job called and rescinded.

Talk about feeling awkward.....

Evidently someone "upstairs" ordered a hiring freeze.
ouch!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:19 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
ouch!

No kidding.

I was the first to get laid off too.

I knew the firing was going to happen to about 10% of us. That's why I was looking for a job.

I sealed my own fate.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Just don't show up.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
This is a hindsight thought, but what you could do in the future is...

Once you hear that you will receive an offer from Company A, call up Company B and C (who have not extended an offer yet) and tell them that you just received an offer from another company.

In some cases, that might light a fire under Companies B or C to make a snap decision. If they weren't interested to start with, then you won't hear anything. But if they were teetering between hiring you or someone else, they might feel that you have more value since another company also deemed you worthy of a job.

Also, be sure you are weighing all the factors for the other job. Its not just the salary number that you have to look at. Is the commute better? Are the benefits the same or similar? Is it possible that one position puts you in a better place for advancement than another?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
This is a hindsight thought, but what you could do in the future is...

Once you hear that you will receive an offer from Company A, call up Company B and C (who have not extended an offer yet) and tell them that you just received an offer from another company.

In some cases, that might light a fire under Companies B or C to make a snap decision. If they weren't interested to start with, then you won't hear anything. But if they were teetering between hiring you or someone else, they might feel that you have more value since another company also deemed you worthy of a job.

Also, be sure you are weighing all the factors for the other job. Its not just the salary number that you have to look at. Is the commute better? Are the benefits the same or similar? Is it possible that one position puts you in a better place for advancement than another?

Yup when it comes down to two jobs offers with simlar salary the commute is always the deciding factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search