Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 02:10 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
BTW, my husband is an engineer with 2 bachelors and 2 masters in engineering, plus 25+ years experience, not a "dime a dozen" worker. Yet every day we see Indians, Chinese, etc going to work while he sits at home waiting for a call or out pounding the pavement all but begging for a job. I guess the H-1b visa holders are doing jobs he wouldn't/couldn't? Sorry, that's a theory I find hard to accept.
I am in the same boat. I am working my butt off trying to find a job when I see schools hiring teachers on visas. One school I applied at hired a visa for an elementary teaching job! Okay lets see, how many American elementary teachers lost their jobs due to budget cuts? How many teachers out there are subbing because they can't find a job? Schools should not be hiring any teachers on visas, especially at the elementary level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:29 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Just out of curiosity BlueBelt where did that happen? I agree that it's absurd to have to hire foreign teachers as there seems to be a surplus especially at that level. I wonder what the reasoning was, bilingual or something?

Old 08-15-2009, 07:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
we are oozing with anti labor laws and policies. unions would prevent this, americans hate unions.
21 million illegal mexican workers, our government does not know how they got here nor where they work.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Just out of curiosity BlueBelt where did that happen? I agree that it's absurd to have to hire foreign teachers as there seems to be a surplus especially at that level. I wonder what the reasoning was, bilingual or something?
It was in Arizona where 5000 teachers lost their jobs. There are plenty of bilingual teachers who are US citizens that lost their jobs.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we are oozing with anti labor laws and policies. unions would prevent this, americans hate unions.
21 million illegal mexican workers, our government does not know how they got here nor where they work.
Thank God I am in a state that is notorious to being unfriendly to unions. I worked at a company overrun by unions and it was the worst experience of my life. Raises, promotions, EVERYTHING was governed by the union. Didn't matter that I worked harder than the person next to me-- since they had more years of tenure than I did they were considered first for everything. Nothing was based on merit. Awful.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:03 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I am in the same boat. I am working my butt off trying to find a job when I see schools hiring teachers on visas. One school I applied at hired a visa for an elementary teaching job! Okay lets see, how many American elementary teachers lost their jobs due to budget cuts? How many teachers out there are subbing because they can't find a job? Schools should not be hiring any teachers on visas, especially at the elementary level.
Bluebelt-- this is really surprising to me and in fact I google'd it because I had no idea that there were areas where this is common. The articles I read did not even point out to a rationale. I can't imagine with the amount of surplus teachers we have that there would be any reason to hire a foreigner for a teaching role.

Other jobs-- I understand and I do not have any problems with the hiring of an H1-B. For some of the posters, I don't know why their spouses, etc have not been hired for certain jobs, but like another poster the hires I have been involved with in the past would LOVE to have fresh American graduates for jobs, but there just have not been the students of US nationality graduating from those programs.

I feel awful for the predicament you are experiencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search