Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:04 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times

Advertisements

Slashdot News Story | US Colleges Say Hiring US Students a Bad Deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:41 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
disgusting

Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
It doesn't surprise me. Don't tell anybody you are in college.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:39 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Effective immediately, they should no longer receive taxpayer dollars. Let them recruit the international students, let the student pay their own tuition and then see how well that fairs for college.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Considering that many of those schools have a high percentage of international students who are full paying (ie no scholarship, no financial aid) it doesn't surprise me.

I have a real problem with giving anyone here on an F-1 or J-1 visa a paid job of any type. The only exception would be certain stipends offered to post-doc students. At that point they are contributing to research that will benefit our country.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:11 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Is there another source that covers this besides that website slashdot??

Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
These documents are NOT telling employers that international students are so much better a bargain than US students.

These are typical informational documents that explain to employers the process for hiring international students.

The documents ARE NOT inflammatory and whoever wrote the original blog post is trying to stir up xenophobic emotions as if universities and employers are colluding against Americans.

How many really read the documents?

Also-- it is STILL difficult for international students to be hired. I know of several who came to the US for education and were not able to find employment even on student work visas.

Telling employers that certain classes of visas used by working students are exempt from FICA is not promoting with an evil glee-- HAH they are cheaper and BETTER!!! MWHHAAAA.

In fact the change in visas can be a payroll nightmare with retro calculations to ensure FICA can be taken out once the visa changes and is updated blah blah blah blah. Also-- when my company has hired international students-- the students are paid the same as US students. It is not as if the company tries to hire ONLY international students so they can take away jobs from US employees and pay them non-US salaries.

Seriously people there is no conspiracy.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Considering that many of those schools have a high percentage of international students who are full paying (ie no scholarship, no financial aid) it doesn't surprise me.

I have a real problem with giving anyone here on an F-1 or J-1 visa a paid job of any type. The only exception would be certain stipends offered to post-doc students. At that point they are contributing to research that will benefit our country.
I have no problems with F-1 or J-1. It is not like they are taking jobs from students at large. They go through the same interviews and hiring-- some plan to become US citizens, others just want to gain enough experience to go back to their own countries and become productive citizens there. F-1 and J-1s are not the type of illegal immigrants people get into such a huff over. They are not a lower socioeconomic class of immigrants whose goal is to siphon off of the taxpayer's dime. They are like any other student-- hoping to expand their knowledge for opportunities (either to become an American citizen- I have seen that long road taken by several close associates-- or to gain enough 'prestigious' experience and return to their countries).

Just like when I studied in France-- France opened her doors to me and treated me equally as a student. My friend chose to stay in France and taught. She never intended to stay and siphon off of a job from a French citizen-- she only wanted additional experience so she could return to the States.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I have no problems with F-1 or J-1. It is not like they are taking jobs from students at large. They go through the same interviews and hiring-- some plan to become US citizens, others just want to gain enough experience to go back to their own countries and become productive citizens there. F-1 and J-1s are not the type of illegal immigrants people get into such a huff over. They are not a lower socioeconomic class of immigrants whose goal is to siphon off of the taxpayer's dime. They are like any other student-- hoping to expand their knowledge for opportunities (either to become an American citizen- I have seen that long road taken by several close associates-- or to gain enough 'prestigious' experience and return to their countries).

Just like when I studied in France-- France opened her doors to me and treated me equally as a student. My friend chose to stay in France and taught. She never intended to stay and siphon off of a job from a French citizen-- she only wanted additional experience so she could return to the States.
They ARE taking jobs from US students. Unless the employer can't find a US citizen or green card holder to do the job, there shouldn't even be a shred of consideration towards visa holders.

In this day and age when there aren't anough jobs to go around for US citizens, and US students are dropping out at an alarming rate because they can't afford college--partially due to the lack of jobs--the trend towards hiring foreigners is disturbing. We need to clean up our own backyard before we can help out the rest of the world.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:43 PM

487 posts, read 1,364,247 times
very true and simple, why everyone doesn't get the simple logic is beyond me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search