Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:00 PM

188 posts, read 974,691 times

Advertisements

I am currently working for a temp agency and have a job at a well known company. This company will hire permanent after 90 days. I work 8 hour days and no weekends. Plus I like the job and the people are great!! I am supposed start work (permanent) for another well known company on May 7. That company works the 12 hour shifts, 2 on ,2off, 3 on, 3 off ( you get the picture). Every other weekend and is rotating shifts...2 weeks on days then 2weeks on nights. That company is only starting me out 25 cents more then I am making at the first company,but they offer day one insurance and vacation. Now I am trying to decide what to do, stay at the place were I work now? Or start over? Would I be crazy to turned down a permanent job? My husband says, "do what you want", but then he will start talking about the insurance and the benefits company number 2 has. (I have to carry the insurance, because the insurance he has at work isn't that good ). Has any one else had this dilema? Or am I crazy??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 11:39 PM

13 posts, read 43,129 times
Perhaps, would be better, if you add more indexes from both jobs and compare it once again?! For example: condition of work places, which job is closer to your home, what about further perspective on this jobs and so one. As far as I’m concern offer of the second company looks more appropriate due to insurance and vacations, but your current firm has one excellent advantage – good people whom working with you! Probably, that second company will be unable to “suggest” the same terms. But it’s pretty important and maybe not having vacation, insurance but working in one team with reliable people would be better to you.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:52 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,095 times
Like stated, more info needed. What kind of work?
Based on what has been given, I would take the first job. No weekends, 2 on 2 off, nights-days BS for me. A simple 8-5 M-F so I can plan my life and do things. Plus the people you work with can make a huge difference. Every company has a "team" effort motto. The job I work at now is the first to really go by that....so far, after a good 6 months.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:11 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I want to say, stick with the first job, because you know it's good. Does the first job absolutely not offer insurance after any length of employment? Insurance is important. If the first job absolutely cannot give you medical insurance even after a probationary period, then unfortunately I think you should continue temping until a good job you will like, that offers insurance, comes up. I wouldn't take the second job, because it sounds like you already know you won't like it.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:47 PM

188 posts, read 974,691 times
First job is a car parts warehouse, no machinery to run. Mostly tow motors, reach trucks. I scan parts and put them in a bin. ( One of the easiest jobs I have had in a long time!) Second plant is a paper products manufacturing plant. Alot of machinery ( that doesn't bother me) Price of insurance is about the same at both, (cost and coverage). As far as mileage goes, I live in the middle. Takes about 10 minutes to either one. I have heard a rumor at the first one, that yes they hire you after 90 days, but then you have to wait an additional 90 days for benefits to kick in. That will be the major decision maker, really do not want to go 6 months without insurance. Do you think it would be safe for me to speak to my supervisor and ask what the benefits are, but not mention anything about the other job? When should I let the temp agency know? I have also heard that if you leave the job before the assignment is over, this temp agency will not place you anywhere else. What a mess I have gotten into! The only reason I took this temp job was because I couldn't afford to sit home and draw unemployment. I thought " Ok, I'll go for a couple of weeks, probably won't like it anyway then I will go to job 2" Guess I had better make up my mind in the next 5 days!! I want to thank everyone for their help and any suggestions you have wll be appreciated.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:46 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
bam,,,stop flustering yourself,,,,you're a wanted woman!!

id take into consideration, ,,what are the advancement opportunities,,,,of each job??

easy jobs are great,,,after stressful ones,,,but,,they get boring after a while,,,often repetitive, routine

ask yourself where you wanna be in five years,,not just next month,,,

good luck,,,and hey stop worrying,,,its all on the upside!!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:50 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
If the first job will offer medical insurance in 90 days after hire, I would take it. You seem happy there. You can also talk to human resources, and ask if the insurance could be offered after the 90-day temp period. It doesn't hurt to ask, and if they like you they may be willing to be flexible.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:48 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,562 times
Always accept the job with the nicest coworkers and boss, that will make the difference if you are successful.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:45 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
The one that will make you happy and give you a sense of real achievement. Life is too short too be miserable in a job so I agree with Dingler above.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:35 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
First job is a car parts warehouse, no machinery to run. Mostly tow motors, reach trucks. I scan parts and put them in a bin. ( One of the easiest jobs I have had in a long time!) Second plant is a paper products manufacturing plant. Alot of machinery ( that doesn't bother me) Price of insurance is about the same at both, (cost and coverage). As far as mileage goes, I live in the middle. Takes about 10 minutes to either one. I have heard a rumor at the first one, that yes they hire you after 90 days, but then you have to wait an additional 90 days for benefits to kick in.
You mentioned these are well known companies. Step back from the actual positions for a moment and examine the corporations as a whole.
I'd look up the recent earnings releases, or read the beginning of the annual reports (strategic growth plans) of both corporations. If you're working at the warehouse and the company is planning on "centralizing their supply chain", "consolidating operations", or "realizing cost savings" (read: closing warehouses). This type of language could be a red flag that the job won't be there beyond a year. You can't predict the future, but some basic due diligence now could save you reading about your employer's Plant Closing in the paper.
If they both look like solid, growing companies then it's about 1. the insurance (since it's critical for your family) 2. what makes you happy/quality of life and enjoyable work environment.
You're fortunate to be choosing between two jobs - Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search