Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times

Advertisements

I just interviewed yesterday with a company who has placed one of its sales reps in the role of "interim" sales manager. When I met the interim last week, he introduced himself as the new sales manager. At interview time, I thought that it was strange that they didn't make me complete an application (presumably to check references). It was a good hour and a half interview, but I felt that it was only "for show" and that the internal candidate had the job sewn up already. Is there ANY truth to the saying that they HAVE to interview outside candidates or POST these openings when there is one? I've always heard this but don't actually know if it;s true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:53 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,601 times
I feel I went thru this last month when I interviewed for a state job. While I was sitting there, waiting to be called in for the interview, I overheard one of the ladies (who would be interviewing me), talking to the receptionist about something and the "gist" of the conversation I got was that they were talking about a couple of applicants who worked in another department who were applying for the position I was.

I felt after the interview and then getting the rejection letter in the mail the following week, that I was just there as part of the "motions" they had to go thru to make the hiring "legit" in some way.

While disappointed, I just chalked it all up as another "practice" job interview...

Old 08-21-2009, 09:20 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just interviewed yesterday with a company who has placed one of its sales reps in the role of "interim" sales manager. When I met the interim last week, he introduced himself as the new sales manager. At interview time, I thought that it was strange that they didn't make me complete an application (presumably to check references). It was a good hour and a half interview, but I felt that it was only "for show" and that the internal candidate had the job sewn up already. Is there ANY truth to the saying that they HAVE to interview outside candidates or POST these openings when there is one? I've always heard this but don't actually know if it;s true.
They do this to cover their arses should an applicant file a complaint. Sad thing is this is very commonplace all over, especially State, County and Federal jobs. Best of luck to you in your job search.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I feel I went thru this last month when I interviewed for a state job. While I was sitting there, waiting to be called in for the interview, I overheard one of the ladies (who would be interviewing me), talking to the receptionist about something and the "gist" of the conversation I got was that they were talking about a couple of applicants who worked in another department who were applying for the position I was.

I felt after the interview and then getting the rejection letter in the mail the following week, that I was just there as part of the "motions" they had to go thru to make the hiring "legit" in some way.

While disappointed, I just chalked it all up as another "practice" job interview...
I got the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. Great phone interview, then for the sit down interview, I could tell by the extremely generic questions and short duration that they had no intention of hiring me before I even arrived. Thanks for wasting my time!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post

That's the same way that I am looking at it. I'm actually thankful that it put me in front of the hiring manager in case another position opens up in the future.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
AFAIK, there's no legal requirement, but some major companies certainly have it as policy.

It's one of those HR policies that look great on paper - make sure there's no nepotism, get a feel for the market salary, keep people from building their own little fiefdoms - but in practice, it often turns out to be a complete waste of everybody's time, forcing people to go through the notions. ( I am not fond of most HR people, admittedly...)

Still, if you interviewed well, it's a partial-win situation - you got in front of someone who hires and looked good. The other candidate may flake out, another post may come up, etc. ETA: I see you made that point already...

Incidentally, I have certainly interviewed without filling out an application. When asked for references, I had a list printed up (styled like my resume, of course ) - the rest of the HR paperwork was handled by mail and on my first day on the job.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 08-21-2009 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Typed too slow, wehotex said it himself.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:31 AM

754 posts, read 1,922,238 times
I think they even must have to interview a certain amount. I have been there. The last one in just to make sure they got the quota. It is a waste of my time and hey, I am already suffering from an extreme reduction in income and really could use the gas money for something else!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
The company I worked for(Fortune 100) did this routinely. I would often check with friends about open jobs only to be told Joe Blow already had the job and the posting was just a formality. This is done internally and externally. Often a department head would write a job ad that would make it easier to hire his chosen candidate.

There are exceptions. It is possible to run across someone who wants new blood and new ideas.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:00 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
The law does not require that employers interview external candidates, but many companies have a policy to do so. Others interview externals only after exhausting any internal candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search