Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,950 times

Advertisements

I happened to come across your posts and I agree with you emphatically. Age discrimination is rampant in employment. I have spent thirty years in an industry that has continued to contract from 27 independent manufacturers to only 8. I have had 12 different postions during this time attempting to stay in that industry and now want to get out. I agree that most employers believe we will COST them too much now and in the future. I am looking for ideas since I want to get out of what I am doing.

Currently I changed from being a sales manager for a major national home improvement company to a marketing manager but the compensation has declined almost 60% and I have started a significant job search. ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOMED...I have also begun to look into the government
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:26 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
If one is over 50 but is too young to retire
My Dad told me this is what is called the "awkward age"... too old to work and too young to retire!

And, here all along I thought it was only a teenage phase!

Old 02-01-2008, 03:04 PM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
One of the many things that I think the "over 50" crowd has going for it is that at that age you are experienced, and you are less likely to be a job-jumper. Employees in their 20s don't really know what the want to be when they grow up, so they take a job and they "test drive"it for a while. If it doesn't suit them they are out the door. By 50 you know what you want to do, and you aren't climbing the ladder anymore. You are looking for a place to work until its time to quit working.
If many managers would give it a little more thought they would realize that often the applicants in their 50s are the ones that will probably stick around longer.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:11 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
I have said this before, but right or wrong, there are expectations about the type of job you will do at a certain age. For the 50+ worker, there is an expectation that they are very experienced, in a senior (probably leadership) position. If you do not fit that mold, things are just going to be tough, especially in the white-collar world.

It really comes down to skills - some skills take a long time to mature and some do not. You do not want to find yourself competing against entry-level workers for an entry-level position.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think it's very true, two reasons that come quickly to mind:

1) Most people over 50 have a reasonable amount of experience and want to be paid accordingly, many companies seem to prefer hiring entry level at lower salaries and training new-hires into their system from the start.

2) Companies may consider the investment they will make in training new hires and consider people over 50 to have more potential health issues and to be closing in on retirement.
Mostly true, a little bit of disagreement, though.

Yes, the experience level can be daunting if they had a different dollar figure in mind. That is, if they were looking to pay $ 60 and that level of experience pays $ 75, there's a bridge to cross.

I do see the thing with training a more senior person. However, there are so many 5 to 7 year tenures that it's not as relevant. Also, few people in their late 50s to early 60s are rarely that health-challenged. Most of the people I know in that age bracket show up to work every day and carry their load. In some cases, it's just an obsession with youth. For that, there are plastic surgeons where the investment of 5 to 10 grand can actually keep you in the job force longer, so it may be cost effective.

I think it's mostly a personal or insecurity issue on behalf of the hiring firm or company. Sometimes, the 37 y.o. doesn't want a 55 y.o. reporting to them, for example. People are so weird that it's hard to figure out.

Lastly, it all depends on the industry. Some industries couldn't care less....nursing, oil (like someone said). Now, if it was advertising agencies, that could be a problem. I have cousins in Europe that worked for a fashion house (IN THE OFFICE) and it is uncomfortable to be in that setting once you hit 40. Europeans, particularly Southern Europeans, are real a-holes when it comes to age.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Yes, very true. Younger hiring managers would rather work with people their own age, and are intimidated by older workers experience. It doesn't just start in the 50's either, now it's the 40's.

I was told by an employment agent that I "look too well seasoned" on my resume and to remove all dates. I said, "they will ask for them on an application, so who is fooling who?" Leaving all of them off will raise suspicions.

She said "You do know companies want younger workers." Now, mind you, I don't LOOK old. I said, "Sure, they want to pay less."
She said, "Oh no, that's not it, younger workers are better workers."
I said, "Depends on the job."
I know in healthcare, the girls who called patients "*******" when they left had no clue what someone goes through with a breast lump. One even said "I don't know that lady is gonna make it through chemo, she is such a big baby."
I knew when people were scared or nervous. They talk a lot. These girls said they were annoying patients.
I tried to tell them that people act out their nervousness in many ways, and it's not about THEM and these people aren't doing it to THEM.
What's the matter with these young girls, are they that self centered?
By the way, hospitals love to hire them, they see them as feisty. Jeesh.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:06 AM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I do see the thing with training a more senior person. However, there are so many 5 to 7 year tenures that it's not as relevant. Also, few people in their late 50s to early 60s are rarely that health-challenged. Most of the people I know in that age bracket show up to work every day and carry their load. .
You're right. More of the people in the over 50 age group show up every day because they aren't hung over from being out clubbing last night, and they don't have to stay home because their kid has a cold, etc.
I would bet that if you hired two people for the same position... one in their 50s and one in their 20s... in ten years I bet the older one would still be with you and the younger one would have moved on to greener pastures.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:00 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times
Where are we supposed to work? I am only fifty one.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:29 PM

732 posts, read 4,156,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Where are we supposed to work? I am only fifty one.
Corporate America expects you to be retired by then.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
You're right. More of the people in the over 50 age group show up every day because they aren't hung over from being out clubbing last night, and they don't have to stay home because their kid has a cold, etc.
I would bet that if you hired two people for the same position... one in their 50s and one in their 20s... in ten years I bet the older one would still be with you and the younger one would have moved on to greener pastures.
DH is almost 61 and has been with his company for 10 years -- which means they hired him at 51. He is rarely out, and carries vacation time over every year because he doesn't take it all. In the 10 years he's been there, he's had 12 assistants (all between 25-45) come and go. Once they learn the job and get good at it, they're gone. Now DH will be looking for a job at 61 because we're moving to another state. He's a Network Administrator, so his headhunter is confident he can find a good job, but time will tell. Age discrimination sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search