Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 04:33 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times

Advertisements

Has anyone actually gotten hired in the Midwest in 6 months? I just moved back to Indiana because I have family there and live with parents. I have filled out like 100 applications so far well actually have lost count. I have heard back and they say stuff like we have 700 applications for one job. What is so sad is the job I applied for that had 700 applications wasn't even a great job! It was a $9.00 an hour job at a preschool. I have also thought about subbing just so I could get out of the parent's house and I am checking with schools and they are telling me that they have plenty of applicants and aren't accepting anymore. Then in the town where I went to school,(Bloomington, IN), there was this Bed Bath and Beyond store that used to have a huge Now Hiring sign out in front. Well...that sign is now gone. How do you get hired out of state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:44 PM

45 posts, read 244,867 times
I think the midwest has the best unemployment rate in the entire nation. Cost of living is low and wages are decent. While I haven't found a good job in 4 months, I have had some interviews and warm leads. I am hopeful I will have a job within the next month due to my hard work.

Edit: Check out this link http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...LEONHARDT.html Looks like Indiana has been hit hard but the rest of the midwest is decent.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 PM

88 posts, read 143,395 times
It all depends on what industry and what your experience and skills are, of course. That goes for whether you're looking for work in the midwest or out of state.

I actually found a really good opportunity on Monster in Massachusetts. They flew me there from Ohio, gave me a fantastic offer. I turned it down for a riskier startup back in Ohio. Unfortunately things have stalled out for a while, so I've been looking again. Got another callback, again, out of state, in Nevada. I'm flying out there next week, so we'll see what kind of offer I can get from them, but I'll probably take it.

Check the company websites in addition to job boards. Network. And also, instead of using a boilerplate cover letter, try to personalize the letters - let them know you're speaking to them, and how you can benefit them. It's more time consuming, but might also reduce the number of applications you need to send before receiving a reply.

Midwest isn't dead. And even 10% unemployment still means there are plenty of people still employed. More competition for work? Yes. But if you can distinguish yourself somehow, and (particularly now) you're persistent, it'll come.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times
The midwest has a pretty decent job market compared to the east and the west.

The only problem is.... the midwest sucks

Old 09-19-2009, 07:07 AM

88 posts, read 143,395 times
Cal, no way! I'm from Los Angeles, but after living in Ohio a couple of years, I'd prefer to stay out there! Four wonderful seasons each year, nice people, reasonable cost of living... My biggest fear in life is now living somewhere the ponds don't freeze. The greatest thing in life is playing hockey on a frozen pond.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Michigan and parts of Ohio and Indiana have a really bad job market right now. Most of the rest of the middle of the US is in pretty good shape.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:59 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillHouse763 View Post
I think the midwest has the best unemployment rate in the entire nation. Cost of living is low and wages are decent. While I haven't found a good job in 4 months, I have had some interviews and warm leads. I am hopeful I will have a job within the next month due to my hard work.

Edit: Check out this link The Geography of a Recession - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com Looks like Indiana has been hit hard but the rest of the midwest is decent.
It looks as though states like Nebraska and Oklahoma are better off. Indiana has been hit hard by this recession. I just recently learned that a major drug company in Indianapolis is getting ready to lay off 5000 people. There have been major manufacturing job losses.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 AM

45 posts, read 244,867 times
The rust belt states has been hit particularly hard but the rest of the midwest is in good to decent shape. I'm a recent grad living in Minnesota and have been getting interviews so that tells you something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search