U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 PM

173 posts, read 934,047 times

Advertisements

I was talking with someone in my unemployed support group and we were discussing our recent rejections, when someone said, re-apply if the job is still available.
I have actually gotten a job, even after I received the formal and generic rejection letter. As I was their 2nd choice and they fired their 1st choice.

Has anyone re-applied even after they were rejected?
How did it turn out?
I was told many companies delete the online applications and do not keep records of those they rejected.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:10 PM

26,345 posts, read 86,715,790 times
I normally apply online to specific companies. In order to do that, I must create a profile. Once I apply for a position, it is not possible to apply for it again (unless, I suppose, I create a different profile with a different email address).

Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 PM

398 posts, read 1,205,359 times
I did that once - a long time ago when I was fresh out of college. I wanted to work at a particular company so bad that I told myself I'd stop at nothing until they hired me. I sent my resume. I called. I called again. I sent a letter. I called again. Well, you get the point. The place was about 500 miles away from where I lived, and I just happened to be there one day on a ski trip. So I stopped by to ask for the job again in person! At that point they pushed me right back out of the door and told me to never write, call, or show up again. LOL Almost 15 years later, I still wouldn't mind working there... wonder if they would remember me? hehe

Old 09-22-2009, 05:38 AM

26,590 posts, read 57,174,024 times
If you were the second choice, I'd definitley stay in touch with the hiring manager to let them know you are still interested in the company.

If you've applied at a fast food place or retail store more than a few times without at least a phone call for a future interest interview, I think I'd give up. It sounds like your situation was very different. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 AM

9,856 posts, read 14,075,191 times
I was turned down from my current job the first time I applied. I kept in touch with the HR contact via email (asking questions about the company once a month/two months) and I eventually got the same kind of job 10 months later. At that point I didn't even have to give an updated resume, they felt like they knew me well enough to just give it to me.

You already don't have the job, what is there to lose by re-applying? If nothing else, it shows persistance.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,566,183 times
I applied 2 times at a local company. I interviewed the first time but did not get the job. I got weird vibes about the place when I was there (the phones never rang).

They were hiring again about a year later and I thought, what the heck, they are a 'green company' and must need help if they keep hiring. The HR person did a rather rude ambush phone interview with me (money was the first thing she brought up). I thought whatever and they never called me in for another interview. Recently they cut a bunch of jobs despite 'expanding.' Like I said, there was something not kosher there.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 AM

3,647 posts, read 4,964,031 times
It depends on the situation. I had an interview last year (not long after my job was eliminiated) with a pair of employees. I could tell that everything went well with one gentleman. Unfortunately, no one could have pleased the other. The position came up again several months later and I reapplied again. Although I didn't obtain another interview, it didn't hurt. When they ran the position again six weeks later I passed! (LOL). This weekend I saw another position that I applied for about the same time. It had some added duties and now involved 20 percent travel, which is out of the question for me right now. If the position had been the original one, I would have applied again, given our economic situation. If times were normal, I wouldn't.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:08 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,541,224 times
I interviewed for a job this summer at a company and just as they were about to offer me the job a last-minute internal candidate threw her hat in the ring and was hired (it is company policy to hire internals if qualified before externals). However, the senior executive I interviewed with really liked me so he went to HR and told them to be on the look-out for another suitable position for me. When another opening came up I was contacted by the recruiter that had first presented me and asked if I wanted to try again. I did so I start to work on Monday.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,790,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post
I was talking with someone in my unemployed support group and we were discussing our recent rejections, when someone said, re-apply if the job is still available.
Do they enjoy being rejected and want more of it?

Old 09-24-2009, 06:30 PM

43,856 posts, read 46,321,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

You already don't have the job, what is there to lose by re-applying? If nothing else, it shows persistance.
This is such great advice!

Any good salesman knows that the victory is usually won during the art of the rebuttal. Looking for a job is the same concept. If they don't buy you the first time, repackage and sell yourself again....and again. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search