Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,907,477 times

Advertisements

I work within a big well known organization in the northeast and had an interview with a different division today for security services monitoring. There were a few things that did not set well with me from the interview. I was wondering what everybody would think if this happened during an interview:

1. I was asked the old standard question, "What is a weakness you have?". I answered that I sometimes struggle with perfectionism but have improved in that area by implementing a system that allows me to place more time into making sure things are correct the first time around so I don't waste time fretting over my work and it has worked well. The guy that was interviewing me then stated, "So what you are telling me is that you are obsessive compulsive with perfectionism?" This came out of left field and he said it in a very annoyed manner. I stated no this was not the case.

2. I was then asked to list my strengths and pretty much stated, "I am a team player, communicate well, invest/care about the work I do, I have had supervisory experience in the past......" I was abruptley cut off at this point and he gets loud and states, "No...No....No.....You aren't supervising anybody here. You will not be giving orders out to anybody in this position....." My jaw dropped as my point was that I am a solid worker who can take on responsibility, have a strong work ethic, and have made accomplishments in my prior positions. At this point, I was dumbfounded and didn't know what to say.

3. He then asked if I had any questions for him at the end. I asked, "If you could go back to the point when you were first hired, would there be anything different you would do along the way?". He basically stated something along the lines, "What kind of question is that?" (I don't remember exactly as I was really getting pissed off at that point but did not show my anger).

The interviewer seemed to be annoyed that he had to do the interview which also ticked me off. He is the one who scheduled it, I drove 40 minutes to meet at his request, was professionally dressed, and spoke in a very professional manner the entire interview. I did not like that he placed words in my mouth and basically made me feel like an ass for no good reason.

My questions..........bad red flags or just having a bad day? Will he probably be a terror to work for? Should I judge him on a first impression? (which I'm sure he will do with me). I view interviews in two ways......it's an opportunity for an employer to interview me and it's also an opportunity for me to interview that employer in return to see how they operate.

I'm also thinking of writing him an email telling him to take me out of the running for the position and let him know about his unprofessional attitude during the interview. I'm tired of people like this trying to push others around for no good reason. His behavior was unacceptable and I want him to know this. On top of everything he had phlegm hanging out of his nose the entire interview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,304,392 times
I think the guy would be a complete *ss to work for and sounds like he was immediately threatened when you menioned you had prior supervisory experience. I agree with you about the opportunity to interview the employER as well...it is not always a good fit.

On a positive note...be glad he showed his true colors at the interview and not after you started the job.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:07 PM

5,848 posts, read 11,843,637 times
Yep, I'd run away. However, I wouldn't send the email - if it's the same company, it may not be in your best interest. Just be glad you found out sooner than later.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:09 PM

88 posts, read 142,859 times
I wouldn't burn your bridges, especially if it's within the company. I wouldn't say anything. If he calls back and gives an offer, you can pretend to consider it overnight, then decline the next day and come up with a reason - maybe you'd rather stay where you are for now or something.

Maybe you did indeed catch him on a bad day? Maybe he was mad he had a booger in his nose.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:10 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,303,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
I work within a big well known organization in the northeast and had an interview with a different division today for security services monitoring. There were a few things that did not set well with me from the interview. I was wondering what everybody would think if this happened during an interview:

1. I was asked the old standard question, "What is a weakness you have?". I answered that I sometimes struggle with perfectionism but have improved in that area by implementing a system that allows me to place more time into making sure things are correct the first time around so I don't waste time fretting over my work and it has worked well. The guy that was interviewing me then stated, "So what you are telling me is that you are obsessive compulsive with perfectionism?" This came out of left field and he said it in a very annoyed manner. I stated no this was not the case.

2. I was then asked to list my strengths and pretty much stated, "I am a team player, communicate well, invest/care about the work I do, I have had supervisory experience in the past......" I was abruptley cut off at this point and he gets loud and states, "No...No....No.....You aren't supervising anybody here. You will not be giving orders out to anybody in this position....." My jaw dropped as my point was that I am a solid worker who can take on responsibility, have a strong work ethic, and have made accomplishments in my prior positions. At this point, I was dumbfounded and didn't know what to say.

3. He then asked if I had any questions for him at the end. I asked, "If you could go back to the point when you were first hired, would there be anything different you would do along the way?". He basically stated something along the lines, "What kind of question is that?" (I don't remember exactly as I was really getting pissed off at that point but did not show my anger).

The interviewer seemed to be annoyed that he had to do the interview which also ticked me off. He is the one who scheduled it, I drove 40 minutes to meet at his request, was professionally dressed, and spoke in a very professional manner the entire interview. I did not like that he placed words in my mouth and basically made me feel like an ass for no good reason.

My questions..........bad red flags or just having a bad day? Will he probably be a terror to work for? Should I judge him on a first impression? (which I'm sure he will do with me). I view interviews in two ways......it's an opportunity for an employer to interview me and it's also an opportunity for me to interview that employer in return to see how they operate.

I'm also thinking of writing him an email telling him to take me out of the running for the position and let him know about his unprofessional attitude during the interview. I'm tired of people like this trying to push others around for no good reason. His behavior was unacceptable and I want him to know this. On top of everything he had phlegm hanging out of his nose the entire interview
This guy certainly sounds like an @ss. Perhaps he was testing your tolerance levels under pressure, though I don't think that was an appropriate way to handle it.

A couple things I would consider...Will you be working directly under him? Is the pay much better than what you're making now? Maybe he was having a bad day. Could you ask other people at that location what his typical demeanor is like?

Anyways, getting a promotion is a big deal. I wish you the best with this situation.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,809,751 times
I've been on those "stress interviews" before. First off MANY human resource people are poorly trained and unqualified. Second problem is that manipulative corrupt nutbags get into positions of influence like that all the time in businesses.

Research stress interviews. See if that is what you encountered. I think it is unethical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post

Old 10-01-2009, 01:28 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,304,392 times
Even if he was having a bad day, a true professional would not let it show. I agree with not burning your bridges. Just leave it alone and if he offers you the job, respectfully decline if you wish.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the responses everybody as the insight is really helping with thinking about the situation. I never knew about stress interviews until Artsy posted about them. If it was a stress interview, they may have turned me off not because of the stress tactics but the fact that he came across as a major idiot. I'd be fearful working with somebody like that and they would be unbearable to deal with in the job position.

Agree that I shouldn't write him and speak about the unprofessionalism. Could come back to haunt me although the company is so big I doubt it would get around to other divisions. We are one of the biggest organizations in PA but you never know........better to play it safe. Just would like to tell him about his lousy attitude though as I didn't appreciate being treated in that manner

Old 10-01-2009, 01:47 PM

45 posts, read 244,004 times
Sounds like they were conducting a stress interview to see how you react under pressure and stressful situations. I went on one last week and the guy was answering the phone, laughing at my responses, and pretty much criticizing the company I am currently working for. They will also argue with you about your responses.

Not exactly fun but it is fair game.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM

I definitely learned something new today as I was unaware about stress interviews. It just seems like a lazy technique to be honest. There are better ways to go about things to collect information. I did not give a negative reaction or attitude and remained focused throughout. However, I'm not sure what my body language portrayed as I was really annoyed with this guy's behavior which came across unprofessional. I don't like to have my time wasted or be treated disrespectfully.....not knowing it may have been a stress interview made me a bit angry/annoyed. Makes a little more sense now but still think it's not a good tactic for an employer to utilize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search