Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 PM

83 posts, read 177,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Obviously the truth hurts. Get over your pity party.
You are so quick to spit on others just because you're well off.

How do you expect someone with bad credit to turn that around if you want them to be denied a job because of said credit?

You say they can find other jobs, what if their specialized field is one that requires credit checks? Should they have to go work retail for peanuts because of it? No, they shouldn't.

You have no pity for those with bad credit? I have no pity for the companies they owe that money too because those companies are rolling in money over the money they collect when they get others in debt...

You're one of those people (and ive seen it time and time again in your posts) who looks down on everyone just because you're well off.

Credit checks should not be public record for employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zherdev View Post
You are so quick to spit on others just because you're well off.
I haven't always had a decent income, but I still managed to pay my bills. IF I didn't ahve the money to buy it, I did without.

Quote:
How do you expect someone with bad credit to turn that around if you want them to be denied a job because of said credit?
First of all, don't let the credit go bad to begin with, and second, find a job that doesn't require a credit check.

Quote:
You say they can find other jobs, what if their specialized field is one that requires credit checks? Should they have to go work retail for peanuts because of it? No, they shouldn't.
Actually many better paying retail jobs require a credit check. If you plan on working in a field like finance or that would require a security cleareance, well duh, pay your bills.

Quote:
You have no pity for those with bad credit? I have no pity for the companies they owe that money too because those companies are rolling in money over the money they collect when they get others in debt...
I have EMPATHY for those who end up with negative medical related credit. Of course! And if you'd bother to read I have several times said that I feel that medical bills need to be reported but shouldn't be used to determine FICO until they have aged to a point where it's obvious they are a bad debt. I have ZERO compassion for people who live large then can't pay their bills.

Quote:
You're one of those people (and ive seen it time and time again in your posts) who looks down on everyone just because you're well off.
That depends on your definition of "well off." I'm not wealthy, but I've lived below my means and saved my pennies so I don't worry about covering my debts. You'd judge me negatively for that? because I have a sense of personal responsibility?

Quote:
Credit checks should not be public record for employers.
Your opinion. Employers will get around any "law" by requiring bonding of employees they would previously cehck credit on.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:20 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Default Jobs Creation: Prohibit Use of Credit Histories in Hiring Decisions

This law has not moved from the House Committee on Financial Services since it was introduced on July 9, 2009.

If you support it, urge your Congressional Representatives to include it in an upcoming jobs creation bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Many employers currently use credit reports when they’re hiring or promoting employees, especially employees being considered for financial and top-level positions. Several late payments or too much debt could indicate irresponsibility or likelihood to extort money from the company, and could result in an applicant being turned down for the position.

In July this year, the Equal Employment for All Act was introduced in the House of Representatives by Congressman Steve Cohen (D-TN) and a group of 34 other Democrats. The bill proposes to stop employers from using credit checks to make "adverse employment decisions." The House Committee on Financial Services is currently reviewing the bill.

H.R.3149: Equal Employment for All Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

"Financial problems reflected on a negative financial report often stem from circumstances outside of the person’s control such as medical problems, illnesses, or layoffs," said Congressman Cohen in a press release. "It is unfair and makes no sense to further penalize those job seekers who want to work hard but have had financial difficulties by denying employment solely on the basis of their credit."

Congressman Luis V. Gutierrez (D-IL), one of the co-sponsors of the bill, is the chairman of the Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit.

If passed, the law would amend the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Federal law that guides the updating and usage of credit reports. The FCRA currently allows employers to run credit checks, but requires them to get a signed written consent form from the applicant. If adverse action is made because of information in the consumer’s credit report, that person has the right to dispute the information and reapply for the position.

The new law would prohibit employers from checking credit reports, even if the employee signs a consent form.

There would be some exceptions with the new law, keeping it legal for employers to use credit reports in certain situations. Credit reports would continue to be used for positions that require national security or FDIC clearance, jobs with state and loan government agencies that already use credit reports, and certain positions at financial institutions. Credit reports may be used for employment purposes in other positions as required by law.

A number of civil rights groups have endorsed the new legislation including the National Consumer Law Center, National Employment Law Project, National H.I.R.E. Network, the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights and the NAACP.

New Law Would Prevent Employers From Checking Credit Reports | SPENDonLIFE

Old 12-05-2009, 06:41 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times
Default job hunting and medical bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Many employers currently use credit reports when they’re hiring or promoting employees, especially employees being considered for financial and top-level positions. Several late payments or too much debt could indicate irresponsibility or likelihood to extort money from the company, and could result in an applicant being turned down for the position.

In July this year, the Equal Employment for All Act was introduced in the House of Representatives by Congressman Steve Cohen (D-TN) and a group of 34 other Democrats. The bill proposes to stop employers from using credit checks to make "adverse employment decisions." The House Committee on Financial Services is currently reviewing the bill.

H.R.3149: Equal Employment for All Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

"Financial problems reflected on a negative financial report often stem from circumstances outside of the person’s control such as medical problems, illnesses, or layoffs," said Congressman Cohen in a press release. "It is unfair and makes no sense to further penalize those job seekers who want to work hard but have had financial difficulties by denying employment solely on the basis of their credit."

Congressman Luis V. Gutierrez (D-IL), one of the co-sponsors of the bill, is the chairman of the Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit.

If passed, the law would amend the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Federal law that guides the updating and usage of credit reports. The FCRA currently allows employers to run credit checks, but requires them to get a signed written consent form from the applicant. If adverse action is made because of information in the consumer’s credit report, that person has the right to dispute the information and reapply for the position.

The new law would prohibit employers from checking credit reports, even if the employee signs a consent form.

There would be some exceptions with the new law, keeping it legal for employers to use credit reports in certain situations. Credit reports would continue to be used for positions that require national security or FDIC clearance, jobs with state and loan government agencies that already use credit reports, and certain positions at financial institutions. Credit reports may be used for employment purposes in other positions as required by law.

A number of civil rights groups have endorsed the new legislation including the National Consumer Law Center, National Employment Law Project, National H.I.R.E. Network, the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights and the NAACP.

New Law Would Prevent Employers From Checking Credit Reports | SPENDonLIFE

I have been reading through this thread and just wanted to point out that any mention of medical problems in the past will be a sure way of NOT getting another interview. If you have medical bills on your credit report or mention medical problems you will certainly never get the job. Potential employers (no matter where or how much you owe or if you are making payments or not) see any medical issue as a big red flag.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:18 AM

12 posts, read 43,397 times
Considering all the folks who have lost their jobs during this recession and are still trying to correct their credit, it should not be checked.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 PM

314 posts, read 935,674 times
Especially in this economy people have gotten laid off and have went through their savings...even those who looked down on others because they thought they had it all figured out..you know those self-righteous types. It is not easy now a days to "find another job" as I heard someone say in an above post. Just go down to the shelters and look at all the homeless families that had roofs over their heads and food on the table. Responsible people that have had good credit all their lives but due to circumstances beyond their control things have come crashing down around them. Another thing "never say never" you do not know what may happen to you..you can have all the savings and insurance in the world but do not think that you cannot be touched.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:58 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
I dont see what is wrong with a credit check. Its NOT going to be a public record. The employer has to pay for it and get consent just like when you apply for an appartment or a car loan.

When you consider the enormous amounts of money spent and liability you open yourself up to when you hire somebody, it seems to make perfect sense that an employer should be able to run a credit check. Or any other type of background check.

Obviously many of the people on here have no idea the money, time, and risk it takes to hire somebody.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:39 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
The belief that a divorce should hinder you from getting a job, the belief that having someone steal your identity is going to also infringe on your employment freedom. Those of you that believe its all cut and dry, (black and red) you haven't ever had the real life experiences that happen to regular people. Honest people, have kept their credit rating above 700, managed paying their bills, even through UE, and still things happen, way to often to be considered an exception. To run a credit check on a candidate that will not be in a fiduciary position is nothing more than prejudicial. If it's not, then why can't I do something about the people that are on my payroll with a suspicious Social Security card? I can't fire them, I have to sit and wait. But, if they have bad credit, don't even have to hire them? damn, seems its easier to be an illegal than it is an American.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I dont see what is wrong with a credit check. Its NOT going to be a public record. The employer has to pay for it and get consent just like when you apply for an appartment or a car loan.

When you consider the enormous amounts of money spent and liability you open yourself up to when you hire somebody, it seems to make perfect sense that an employer should be able to run a credit check. Or any other type of background check.

Obviously many of the people on here have no idea the money, time, and risk it takes to hire somebody.
When the day comes that you have one if the issues the poster after you mentioned, or have a medical problem that was past what your insurance covered (and for which they are denying further insurance), you'll feel different.......

Old 12-23-2009, 09:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
when you give rights to one group often you take them away from another.
on this one if the law passes employers will lose some of their rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search