Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times

Advertisements

Here's an article I found in my mailbox this afternoon. It is interesting read and poses examples of how the questions were worded and suggestions on how to answer.

http://www.medhunters.com/articles/h...neral-10-06-09
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 02:55 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I know as a married woman (I wear a ring) the worst (fishing) type question I have gotten was "What does your husband do for a job?"

Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
I once had someone pointedly ask if I had children. She said she didn't want to hire anyone with kids because she wants people who can stay late on a moment's notice. The funniest thing was she is a mother and told me she is sick of having to stay all the time and whoever she hires will have to do it.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:49 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I know as a married woman (I wear a ring) the worst (fishing) type question I have gotten was "What does your husband do for a job?"
I'm happy to answer that one during interviews Gypsy. I look 'em in the eye and say, "She's an attorney. Next question?"

Old 10-06-2009, 07:56 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Interview questions

When I first saw this, I thought it was about illegal aliens! But anyway, I am blind in one eye and have a permanent corrective lens in the other and I have been asked questions like "Are you looking at me or something else?" or "Is there something weird with your eye?" or "I think you may have trouble handling close work"

Unfortunately, these were asked in the early 1980's.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:08 PM

70 posts, read 136,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

Wow. That's pretty imposing and definitely illegal. What business is it of theirs what your husband does for a living?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:55 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossimer View Post
Wow. That's pretty imposing and definitely illegal. What business is it of theirs what your husband does for a living?
I think it was one of those 'is she desperate for the job?' type questions or is her husband a professional and can she quit anytime?

I got the job, and yes, I hated it for 2 years (customer service).

I just saw some news story this morning that women with kids DEFINITELY are being discriminated against now for hiring. Apparently it's cool for the guy to be a daddy (he is more stable, according to this report, than his bachelor/single coworkers). But a woman with kids, well, she's a liability.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,641 times
I was asked in two interviews within two weeks if I were married, had children and their ages. One came right out and asked if getting my children to and from school would be a problem. Employers really aren't paying attention to the rules right now.

I ended up getting the second job but, the first one wanted someone who would work late constantly, and it was salaried so it wasn't like you would be paid for the extra work. And the salary wasn't that great.

The best approach, if you want the job, is to answer the question, even if you lie. They will find another reason not to hire you if you refuse to answer questions. Also, it is difficult to prove that you didn't get the job because you had children etc.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:12 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
I was asked in two interviews within two weeks if I were married, had children and their ages. One came right out and asked if getting my children to and from school would be a problem. Employers really aren't paying attention to the rules right now.
It's a dumb rule.

As a former employer I can tell you first hand these issue's are important. I busted my ass and risked everything I had and then some literally to start my business. Why shouldn't I be able to make certain to the greastest degree possible that someone I hire won't cost me?

Do you have any idea how many people get hired and then spring these issue's on their employer? Do you have an idea how many people just simply can't comprehend that this is a business and while we appreciate you and value your service that doesn't mean we can just have people coming and going whenever they feel like it?

Now if you're the responsible type then terrific. And I understand it may be hard for someone who would never take a job and then call in 3 times a week because they had to take their kids to school to think others would do just that. But it does happen. In fact, it happens a lot.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:40 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
TraderX, but that's what a disciplinary review is for. If the person that you hire, without bias, doesn't perform, then you let them go. You simply can't make a hiring decision based on whether or not a woman is of child bearing age, has small children at home, or has a dual income. Just as you can't (legally) make it based on race, religious affiliation, age, etc. Those ARE the rules. And when you decide to start your own business, you implicitly agree to abide by those rules. Making hiring decisions based on a broadbrush stereotype just shouldn't happen. A better vetting process or probationary period should be used to weed out the problem cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search