Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:47 PM

6 posts, read 18,978 times

Advertisements

I currently just started a job at the Forest Service. It is a government position. A month after my starting the job I got charged with a petty offense for theft. I dont plan on ever doing it again but am pretty concerned that this could affect my job. At the same time this is smaller than even a misdemeanor. I do have a govermentwide purchasing card but my position is considered to be non-sensitive.
What are my chances of getting fired? and also, if I don't get fired what are the chances that my direct supervisor will find out?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:31 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times
They already did your background check, right? And you did not steal from your job right? I am not sure how they would find out. Check to see if the information can be found online.

I asked my husband about it and he says they would not fire you, but perhaps keep a closer eye on you. Main thing - don't mention this to any coworker or anyone outside of work who could possibly tell a coworker.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
If someone see it in the paper and tells your hr person.. they may re-run your check. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
You stole a month AFTER you got your job?

When I worked for local gov, they did random background checks on us.

Arrests are public records and my local paper runs them (print and online) every day. Also, several states now have court cases online. In my state, I can easily search court cases (both criminal and civil). I'd say the odds of them finding out are pretty good.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:24 AM

No i have not already had a background check done. I was not arrested on the scene and the cop said we were only getting a ticket. I have a really clean record, im in school, have a good job and have alreaedy paid the store back. If i am able to get it exponged it will take time longer than i have to send in my back ground check. Would it help me if i were to write yes i have a current charge against me butr i am working to get it exponged at this time. Would that help me not get fired

Old 10-07-2009, 12:20 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,614 times
If/when you are interviewed, please be honest and upfront with them. The people conducting your security clearance will send a report back to your agency and then your agency will determine whether you are to be kept on or let go. You are considered conditional career for a period of 3 years (or it used to be) and you can be terminated for any reason within this time frame.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:22 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knmarsh View Post
No i have not already had a background check done. I was not arrested on the scene and the cop said we were only getting a ticket. I have a really clean record, im in school, have a good job and have alreaedy paid the store back. If i am able to get it exponged it will take time longer than i have to send in my back ground check. Would it help me if i were to write yes i have a current charge against me butr i am working to get it exponged at this time. Would that help me not get fired
Hmmmm. This is a tough one. Exactly what is the status of this situation? Are you waiting for a court date? Is there a chance it could be dismissed? If everything is up in the air, I'd probably not say/do anything until the court settled it.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:56 PM

586 posts, read 1,547,003 times
My agency can take almost a year after you were hired to complete a background check. I would try to find out if it has already been done. If not, I would let them know what might come up on it. As a career-conditional employee, you may be out of luck.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 PM

Here's an update. I hired an attorney. He works closely with the municipal court that i will be dealing with. He think i will be able to get the case dismissed or more likely deferred. If it gets deferred it may even be able to be something less than theft like litering or loitering. The concern i have is on the background check it asks if you have been on probation? Will a deferred sentence qualify as that? and if so how much better, if better at all will that be as apposed to a conviction?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:14 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times
I never heard of a background check that you complete yourself, that is confusing me. I thought companies get it from someplace else, and do it BEFORE they hire you.
If you have never been on probation, say no, don't worry about what may/may not happen in the future. A lesser sentence (you said less than a misdemeanor) will always be better than a conviction. But you should definitely mention it somehow on that form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search