Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:08 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Lame.

it seems like even if they tried to throw the other hours out at you, if they were really interested in YOU as someone to be a part of their company, they could have at least tried to negotiate.
No, because they will eventually find some desperate person who will be glad to work for less than $10 an hour and say yes sir, no sir whatever you say until they get fed up.

This is one of the main reasons preschool jobs are ALWAYS available. Apart from the poor pay, the management tends to treat the staff very badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
First off, you're 100% wrong. I spoke with the DIRECTOR of the facility. There is no HR. They only have 5 lead teachers. They can't 'remember' the hours of the job???

I asked 2 times for clarification for the hours of the job. I was told verbally "8-4...is that good for you?"

I said, "Yes, those hours are ideal."

During the interview she suddenly changed 'what the responsibilities' would be. I looked at her and said, "You told me on the phone 8-4."

The other person doing the interview started to try to convince me how great it was to come in late one day and early another.

I explained AGAIN the hours were not acceptable because I had a family and commitments.

AT NO TIME was I offered the job or even told 'sorry we wasted your time.' They just shrugged and the director said "Okay," and I left calmly. (I went home and got pissed off like any NORMAL person would have..sorry, we are not all robots...)

I don't get the few of you too dense to realize I was LIED to just to get me in to the interview. I was honest with them about what I could bring to their organization and they were not LAZY...they lied, lied, lied.

I have a ****ing masters degree in the field I would have been working in. Most of their staff just finished high school. I am sure they were probably paying crap money, too. It's typical of that sort of organization. There is no 'negotiations' for 'better pay' in these situations.

I don't need daycare for my 11 year old. I just need a normal job like I have had in the past where you start at one time and work till another. Not bull****. Is that really too much to ask in 2009??

I'm not justifying how I feel anymore. Anyone with half a brain can see the problem here.
This is that anger I was talking about. There is an appropriate response, and you get mad instead of discussing something rationally. Calling me dense because I suggested a few alternatives is not a good way to deal with something.

It also does not take a 'robot' to not get upset. Getting angry over something like this is a sign of immaturity, which I hope you do not take to the workplace. Control your emotions a little better (like any mature adult) and you might have better results in a job hunt. This emotional outburst of a response simply proved my point.

I am also talking as someone who knows exactly what you are going through. When I showed up for the first day of my current job I found out I would be on call (24/7) one week out of every five weeks, which was never mentioned in any interview. I was upset, but I am still working that job today. It is a good job and the pros outweigh the cons. Getting pissed about something NEVER does any good. Letting your emotions get the best of you always cause more harm than good.

And I really doubt you were 'lied to just to get you in an interview'. We in in the middle of a recession - there are many other people who would love to have any open job. I doubt that company needs to trick anyone to get someone to interview, I am sure they have a very long list of applicants.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is that anger I was talking about. There is an appropriate response, and you get mad instead of discussing something rationally. Calling me dense because I suggested a few alternatives is not a good way to deal with something.

It also does not take a 'robot' to not get upset. Getting angry over something like this is a sign of immaturity, which I hope you do not take to the workplace. Control your emotions a little better (like any mature adult) and you might have better results in a job hunt. This emotional outburst of a response simply proved my point.

I am also talking as someone who knows exactly what you are going through. When I showed up for the first day of my current job I found out I would be on call (24/7) one week out of every five weeks, which was never mentioned in any interview. I was upset, but I am still working that job today. It is a good job and the pros outweigh the cons. Getting pissed about something NEVER does any good. Letting your emotions get the best of you always cause more harm than good.
I think you fail to see the point. I am not living your life, nor do you live my life. I wish you good luck in what you are doing but saying, "I am too emotional thus I do not have a job" is really not the point here. I am so glad you have a job and enjoy it. However, that does not mean I have to repress what I feel. I did not shout at anyone at the interview and you know what, anyone who does not BLOW OFF STEAM sometimes (even if it is just tossing a few pillows at the wall in your bedroom) is a candidate for a heart attack.

Again, I disagree with you. I was lied to. They would have LOVED to get someone with a master's degree (and plenty of teaching experience) at their little crappy daycare. What bragging rights for them. I've been there before. The first thing management does is say "This is so and so and SHE has a masters in education." (meanwhile they pay you like you work at Kmart.) Recession or not, snagging someone with a higher degree in a preschool is a major accomplishment.

The major point (rationally) is that I can only work certain hours. If I ask you what the hours of the job are, please be honest with me. Of course sometimes I can see I may need to do overtime but be upfront in the beginning. My last job was 8-4. Some days I got there at 7:30 and worked overtime. That was fine and I was flexible.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 10-08-2009 at 07:53 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
I think you fail to see the point. I am not living your life, nor do you live my life. I wish you good luck in what you are doing but saying, "I am too emotional thus I do not have a job" is really not the point here. I am so glad you have a job and enjoy it. However, that does not mean I have to repress what I feel. I did not shout at anyone at the interview and you know what, anyone who does not BLOW OFF STEAM sometimes (even if it is just tossing a few pillows at the wall in your bedroom) is a candidate for a heart attack.

Again, I disagree with you. I was lied to. They would have LOVED to get someone with a master's degree (and plenty of teaching experience) at their little crappy daycare. What bragging rights for them. I've been there before. The first thing management does is say "This is so and so and SHE has a masters in education." (meanwhile they pay you like you work at Kmart.) Recession or not, snagging someone with a higher degree in a preschool is a major accomplishment.

The major point (rationally) is that I can only work certain hours. If I ask you what the hours of the job are, please be honest with me. Of course sometimes I can see I may need to do overtime but be upfront in the beginning. My last job was 8-4. Some days I got there at 7:30 and worked overtime. That was fine and I was flexible.

I guess it bothers me that you are assuming the worst of them. I try to assume the best (it was an honest mistake on their part) rather than assume they are conning you into working different hours.

You have my opinion, take it or leave it.

Either way, I am sorry it didn't work out for you. Good luck with the job search.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I guess it bothers me that you are assuming the worst of them. I try to assume the best (it was an honest mistake on their part) rather than assume they are conning you into working different hours.

You have my opinion, take it or leave it.

Either way, I am sorry it didn't work out for you. Good luck with the job search.
Thank you.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Gypsy - have you thought about this situation as something that can come up again in another opportunity? Have you thought about how you would respond or accomodate this, or are you pretty much set in the hours that you want to work and that is not flexible? I think that you should be prepared to counter something like this which may arise in the future with options...like take work home or having someone (a neighbor or a mother of a classmate) drive or pick up your son from school if that is the issue. My suggestion is to anticipate every permutation of schedule that may be offered to you and prepare for that in advance so that you don't get caught flat-footed at the interview. Another option is to tell the interviewer that you would have to get back to them (after you check if you can make those arrangements) without giving the impression that you are not willing to meet them halfway. In these economic times, we all really can't find perfection anywhere, unfortunately.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Not necessarily.
I don't need child care. My husband is home till 5 pm. I just have to be available to drop my son off at school at 7:30 am.

I feel I am pretty flexible. I can work anytime after 7:30am till @4:30 pm if the job is local. Most jobs are 7:30-3:30 or 8-4 here.

Any other job I have applied for in 2 years has provided their hours so I can either choose to apply for them or not.

It's the LACK of jobs now, not 'my resistance' to work certain hours.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Sounds like the daycare was trying to switch the hours on you to help out a current employee who wanted a break on coming in so early. This switch could have occurred either deliberately as you believe or during the period between the phone call and interview.

Either way, it's not very honest or organized. An employer needs to have its needs and wants together before interviewing. And stop trying to ease the least desireable aspects of the job off on the new people. I once interviewed at a place where the scope of duties had changed substantially because of the arrival of a recent hire. It would have been nice for the employer to have told me that before I interviewed. In my case, it was no big deal because the new duties were fine with me. However, I made a mental checkmark next to the "lack of organization" cateogory.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:12 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
I don't need daycare for my 11 year old. I just need a normal job like I have had in the past where you start at one time and work till another. Not bull****. Is that really too much to ask in 2009??
Sadly, it seems to be going that way since as you say there are so many people out there who are able to do that so employers are not being so catering anymore.

Now that I know you were looking at a pre-school/day care job my wife had been looking for that the past 2 or 3 years and ran into the same kinds of problems. She has also had the same kinds of problems finding other jobs (way in the past when she was a customer service manager she was fortunate enough in that she worked in the evenings like your husband and we had something worked out, but those days are gone).

Lots of luck to you, you sound like you deserve much better (I've read you a lot in the VT forums, etc.).

Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 AM

105 posts, read 170,610 times
You are lucky that you get any interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search