Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:21 AM

499 posts, read 1,524,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post
These days I would have most hope in going cold turkey, even if just writing a nice coverletter and faxing with my res. but I'd NEED to call and know the guy in charge's name first.
Yeah, but these things are becoming harder and harder to do nowadays. Some businesses act like they are a military installation and the HR people are like land barons and we are the serfs or peasants waiting at the gates begging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,440,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Exactly, you will not get a career job by just showing up and asking-"are you hiring? Maybe in Walmart that will work.
If you had read the OP's question properly, viz. "Now I don't mean showing up asking for an interview, but rather showing up to drop off a resume and make an introduction. (Particularly when there is NO job opening being advertised)." you might be less inclined to answer. That said, your reading comprehension, or lack thereof, seems to be a persistent problem, Mr. "Student Employment Counselor" !

Old 10-10-2009, 01:15 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,398,711 times
To roncorey1: I love your analogies. Bullseye!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,791,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you had read the OP's question properly, viz. "Now I don't mean showing up asking for an interview, but rather showing up to drop off a resume and make an introduction. (Particularly when there is NO job opening being advertised)." you might be less inclined to answer. That said, your reading comprehension, or lack thereof, seems to be a persistent problem, Mr. "Student Employment Counselor" !

I don't talk to you anymore

Old 10-11-2009, 01:14 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,028,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy
... you will not get a career job by just showing up and asking-"are you hiring?
Maybe in Walmart that will work.
Just because it isn't within the confines of your own experience
doesn't mean it doesn't work.

I got a job as a CPA in a Public Accounting firm this way and
I know many others who have done so also.

Since I also had many positive encounters and interviews
in addition to a job, my experience isn't just anecdotal.

Your experience is just anecdotal.

Worrying about bothering someone by coming in the door and checking on
possible opportunities is also ridiculous. If the receptionist isn't tuned in enough
to the "big boss" to know whether he/she is interested in new talent means that
the place is a schlock outfit and you don't want to work there anyway.

Note that you can't expect to pierce the security of the front desk in a large
organization like a $100M+ company, but for a single-office local firm your
chances are good if they are looking or thinking about it.

In many small companies, the founder and/or CEO actually will answer his/her
own email.

As I stated above, in an earlier post, "what have you got better to do?"
What have you got to lose? What's your risk? -- nada.

Last edited by mortimer; 10-11-2009 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,011,704 times
I think in a state like where I live, this may work. The trouble is, it is very demoralizing to go cap in hand looking for work at companies.

Like some of you have said, you have the gatekeeper staring at you like "Who the hell are you?" to bother us. (and the red flags go up--uh, no this person MAY take MY job.)

But if you want to try it, why not? It used to be a very common way to get a foot in the door.

At least you can feel like you are 'doing something.'

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,157,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Exactly, you will not get a career job by just showing up and asking-"are you hiring? Maybe in Walmart that will work.
You are very, very wrong.

There is a reason you are not managing anyone...anyone in charge of hiring someone with this attitude would not last long in that job.

TVGuy, think about this. Lets say you are in charge of hiring. You have two resumes in front of you and you can only give the job to one person. Both resumes are identical in terms of qualifications (certifications, education, work experience, etc). One of the applicants emailed it to you, the other took the time to drive 40 minutes, shake your hand, hand you the resume personally and say "It was great to meet you". Are you really saying you would hire the first person?

You are basically admitting you prefer someone with less drive and motivation for a job! Take a step back and think about this for a minute.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,818,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Its not a good thing to do. People in Professional service offices, today especially, are very busy, if you drop a resume off, un-invited, or requested, you are wasting their time, and yours, because the probability that it will get thrown away is very high. I don't recommend it.
It happens at my job several times a day. Too often they want to hang around and chat, like I've got nothing better to do. Yeah, it's a nice day. Yeah, how 'bout them Yankees. Sheesh!

Walking in and handing over your resume and saying "I'm looking for work, please pass my resume along to the right person, thanks" then leaving, that's OK. Standing there trying to make small talk, good way to get your resume tossed.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,791,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You are very, very wrong.

There is a reason you are not managing anyone...anyone in charge of hiring someone with this attitude would not last long in that job.

TVGuy, think about this. Lets say you are in charge of hiring. You have two resumes in front of you and you can only give the job to one person. Both resumes are identical in terms of qualifications (certifications, education, work experience, etc). One of the applicants emailed it to you, the other took the time to drive 40 minutes, shake your hand, hand you the resume personally and say "It was great to meet you". Are you really saying you would hire the first person?

You are basically admitting you prefer someone with less drive and motivation for a job! Take a step back and think about this for a minute.

The person who just shows up doesn't have any appeal because it shows he/she is not wanted by other companies. To me it would it scream desperation and I would focus my attention on the two people I haven't met yet.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,818,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Worrying about bothering someone by coming in the door and checking on
possible opportunities is also ridiculous. If the receptionist isn't tuned in enough
to the "big boss" to know whether he/she is interested in new talent means that
the place is a schlock outfit and you don't want to work there anyway.
Keep in mind that not all companies have a receptionist. I work in a small office with four other people, two of which are p/t employees. My desk happens to be closest to the door. The owner of the company doesn't work in this office. My work day is interupted on a regular basis by people who want to have a 15 minute conversation telling me their life story. I don't have the time--nor the inclimation--to listen. If they want to drop off a resume or application and leave, fine. But my desk is not a reception counter, they are not welcome to take a seat and fill out an application there, and I don't really care that their cousin's neighbor's uncle's father-in-law works for the company down the street. Nor can I magically snap my fingers and create a job for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search