Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 113,589 times

Advertisements

I went to an interview with a local company that I thought was not going very well. I met with the three people who would be my supervisors and the interview process seemed unorganized and way too brief. I tried to get a clear idea of the job description but it seemed as if they were still trying to figure it out. I left wondering if I really wanted to work with that particular department. I was asked to send them my references and within an hour of emailing them to the VP I received a phone call from the Asst. VP offering me the job for the very lowest amount in my salary range. I was surprised but asked if I could consider it over the weekend since I still needed some thought on the actual position. She agreed reluctantly, as if she couldn't understand why I didn't immediately accept. I then received a voicemail from her about 10 minutes later asking me to let her know what she could do to get me to come and work with them. I called on Monday morning ready to negotiate for a slightly higher salary based on the research of similar positions. She sounded slightly taken aback that I was asking for more money and very poorly negotiated with me. I felt uncomfortable about the whole conversation and she finally said that a mid-range salary might be doable but she would have to check with the "higher-ups" and call me back. I thanked her and told her I was looking forward to her call.

It is now a full 7 days later and I have yet to receive a phone call, email, letter, etc. from her regarding her offer. I know that it was a verbal offer but I think that I expected at least an "I'm sorry but we can't increase the offer," or "The amount you asked for is acceptable, when can you start?" or "We've changed our minds."

I sent a follow up email on Thursday reiterating my interest and reminding her of how my experience correlates to the position, etc. Also, she has been out of town for the last 4 days and just returned yesterday so I haven't been too worried until today.

I don't want to act desperate and I have already sent an email but I like the company and after my research am perfectly happy with the job if she agrees to my salary request.

My question is, should I call her tomorrow (day 8) to restart our conversation? What would be the appropriate thing to say when I get her on the phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:59 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
Sound like you put the ball in her court (which was the right thing to do, IMHO), but you then let her drop it. You should have followed up much sooner than now. But you need to know, so call as soon as you can. You need the job, they need the help but don't want to pay. If it's not reciprical it won't work. One of you will always be unhappy, and why should it be you? Call back and stand your ground on an answer regarding the job and the salary. At this point it sounds like you couldn't do worse. If the intermediary say she has to talk to so & so, and get back to you again, say you would rather talk to them. (You want to hear it from the horse's mouth, no? I would.)

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:23 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I did want to call her after the third day of not hearing from her but 2 things prevented me...she was out of town and I would have had to leave a v.m. (so I wrote an email instead) and I didn't want to seem desperate since I told her to call me after she spoke with her "higher-ups". I appreciate an honest approach over "games" and that's why I'm so uncomfortable about her not calling. I will call her in the morning and try to nail it down so that I don't wonder anymore. It's good experience for my next job offer.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:32 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
You shouldn't feel like they are thinking you are desperate. You nor they are working for the fun of it, I wouldn't imagine. And it's just good, ethical business professionalism for them to answer you.
I don't know what type of business or industry this is, but I can't imagine they'd be sucessful doing business like this with their contracts or clients or whatever.
Why would you allow them to hold this power over your life, and not even get paid for it?
It's a bad note for them to see this about you. They'll always think you are at their beckon call.
Remember the word reciprical.
Go for it.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:30 PM

475 posts, read 1,643,975 times
i think they changed their mind an decided to hire someone else. I would have taken the job, work like a mad man and then asked for more money after they discovered your good work ethic.

You scared them. they don't know if your good or a dead head.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:10 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,659 times
It is hard to say. The hiring manager could be busy or they decided to not proceed with you. When I was a recruiter I had some employers who would pretty much refuse to hire anyone who countered the offer or tried to negotiate the salary after an offer was put on the table-- others would carefully deliberate the counter and then extend the offer again or counter again. Pretty much--- you did not accept the offer unless they offered more money-- so at that point it was no longer an offer-- i.e. you had rejected it.

I would say if you have not heard by Monday then they have moved on from your candidacy for the position.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 PM

173 posts, read 968,092 times
I have yet to try this, but request a formal and written contract.
Then renegotiate the contract.
This way you keep the leverage.

Do you really want to work for a company that does not negotiate in full faith?
Also, do you really want to work for a company that fails to formally rescind their offer?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 PM

I understand all of the comments and appreciate the feedback. The amount that was offered was my very minimum and when she offered it she acted as if she knew it was not going to make me happy. Kind of like a cringe type of thing. I do need the job and actually would have enjoyed working at that company but I acted very professionally and did everything the way that I always have by negotiating. The amount that she said she could "probably" offer me was not much more than my minimum so I don't think it should have offended them. I don't think I was out of line although I did get the feeling that she was expecting me to jump at her offer. I'm not a jumper however. I like to think things through and make a proper decision about a job that potentially could be my next career. They gave me a sloppy interview, had no complete answers to my questions about the company, and tried to rush me into an answer with a low offer. The one thing that would have solved this entire issue would have been a phone call/email from them stating their intentions. "We're sorry but we've hired someone else who doesn't question what we give them" or "We got someone for less money" or "We love you but can't pay anything extra". ANYTHING would be more professional than not calling. She said she would call me back and she hasn't, plain and simple. I didn't say outright that I wouldn't take the first offer but I did try to negotiate hoping for a higher jumping-off point. This isn't an entry level job and I have the experience and education to do it. The amount for the job was low, period. Would it have been better for them to take me at the amount they offered and then have me jump at the next job that came along, leaving them to find someone else? I've done my due diligence and there could be many reasons why they haven't called yet. I'm not holding my breath about it any longer.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:55 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Well, while you did put the ball in her court, it might be hard to place a follow-up phone call without giving up something. It is all a game. When you went to ask for more money you took on the risk of losing the job for the possible reward of more money.

While, it might just be that the "higher-up" might just be on vacation for two weeks and you are not in the forefront of this VP's mind, so they haven't called and updated you... so everything might be fine.

If you make that call, be prepared to accept that initial offer. But, feel them out, see what they say.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:23 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,297 times
I would continue looking but for a friend of mine it took almost a month for them to come back with an offer. It was kind of weird because they had mentioned a start date back at the last interview she had with them and the recruiter tried to repeatedly make contact with them to find out what was going on but it was the Thursday before the Monday start date when they finally called to officially offer her the job. It kind of took her by surprise but it worked otu in the end. There could be a million reasons why they are taking so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search