Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 13,021 times

Advertisements

I've been out of work since Feb. of this year. And as you all know, the depression gets worse with time because you really start to realize how much trouble you're really in.
So I finally got an interview with a company for a position that fit me perfectly (I can see why I was called in for the interview). The night before, I tossed and turned and worried about it so much, that I got about an hour of sleep that night. The next day during the interview, I was asked a technical question that is so fundamental in my field, it's one of the very first things that you learn in school. In fact, I used it all the time at the last company. ....BUT, as soon as they asked, a horrible though consumed me, "If I get this wrong, I'll never have another interview again, and I'll loose my house, my dogs, and everything I own before I end up moving in with my family many states away in what is deemed "the sticks" (think "Deliverance"). This horrible scenario exploded into every brain cell I had, and I couldn't for the life of me solve that very basic question. I strained and strained with no effect.

The interview was over after that question, and I never got a call back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 05:44 PM

98 posts, read 99,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyOfAustin View Post
I've been out of work since Feb. of this year. And as you all know, the depression gets worse with time because you really start to realize how much trouble you're really in.
So I finally got an interview with a company for a position that fit me perfectly (I can see why I was called in for the interview). The night before, I tossed and turned and worried about it so much, that I got about an hour of sleep that night. The next day during the interview, I was asked a technical question that is so fundamental in my field, it's one of the very first things that you learn in school. In fact, I used it all the time at the last company. ....BUT, as soon as they asked, a horrible though consumed me, "If I get this wrong, I'll never have another interview again, and I'll loose my house, my dogs, and everything I own before I end up moving in with my family many states away in what is deemed "the sticks" (think "Deliverance"). This horrible scenario exploded into every brain cell I had, and I couldn't for the life of me solve that very basic question. I strained and strained with no effect.

The interview was over after that question, and I never got a call back.

I'm sorry this happened to you. However, it does happen to everyone, or a lot of people so don't beat yourself up. The only advice that I can offer is to think of things or situations that could be much worse. You do have your health I assume. There are people, very many people, with health issues that consume every waking moment. There are also people in prison; some who are not even guilty of their crimes. There are people going through divorce or the loss of a loved one.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to put things in perspective, and perhaps that will relieve your stress. Yes, a job is important, but there are no longer "debtor prisons" and the worst that will happen to you is but a flash in the pan to the troubles many face in life.

Also, you may try some relaxation techniques to help you get over the stress. In my past I have been unemployed as long as a year, and almost lost everything. But, by putting things in perspective, I was able to overcome the anxiety. The depression was an issue, but I was never anxious.

I hope this helps and wish you nothing but the best of luck in the future. Keep the faith; you'll be JUST FINE.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,536 times
I am so sorry.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
I think going into the interview on the offensive might be a way to handle an intimidating situation. Amp up on coffee, talk alot, without being rude, do a lot of the talking, add good taste/good nature humorous anecdote (like a couple words, not a whole story), try to get the interview in the morning when you are fresh.

If you clam up...say so, don't let the interview end. Give yourself time to recover.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM

9 posts, read 48,957 times
I'm really sorry this happened to you, but it could happen to anyone.

Sleep the night before the interview is important, you will look, think and act more fresh in the interview.

Do lots of homework on the company the night and days before the interview. This will raise your confidence. Write out how you think your skills can bring unique value to this company. Write out how you will package yourself for that interview. Also, either through your network or through the public material you can get, try to think about how you are the "right fit" for this company and write out how you will articulate that in the interview. By doing these things you will feel more prepared and may feel more confident as you go into the interview.

Now you may not be a believer of self talk, but it can come in handy before the interview. Give yourself a quick talk and remind yourself why and how you are qualified for the role. Although consciously you may not think you made a difference, you will have made a difference.

In addition, have you considered working with a coach to do a practice interview, or at least talk with prior to the interview? It could help settle the nerves. You are probably very capable. You might want to get some support.

Best success on the next round!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:58 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,820,889 times
If you are really scared this will happen again (basically a panic attack), keep a cheat sheet - write down the answers you think you'll forget! Don't take it out during the interview unless the exact same scenario happens again... you can apologize, say how nervous you are (however you want to word it - be honest, but don't scare them, don't let them think you're mentally unstable). Then silently count backwards from 10 and take 2 deep breaths. If none of that calms your thoughts, then you'll need the cheat sheet.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:30 AM

145 posts, read 576,218 times
I'm so sorry this happened to you. As others said, it could happen to anyone as you can see in my next paragraph. You've received good suggestions. You have to believe that you will do better next time.

I don't know if this is "professional" or not, but a friend of mine who has also been out of work since January went on her first interview this week. She had researched the company, practiced mock interviews in front of a mirror, and practiced questions to ask. When she got in the room with the interviewer, she froze and couldn't even introduce herself. After a few minutes, she looked the interviewer in the eye, confessed it was her first interview in over twenty years and she was not only nervous but out of practice and asked for the interviewer's patience because she really was a good fit for the position. From what she told me, the interview went good even though she had to hesitate a few times before answering questions. Maybe honesty up front when you feel yourself freeze is ok. I have no idea. Just thought I'd share this. Perhaps someone more experienced in interviewing can comment. Since I am in the same situation as my friend, downsized since January and haven't interviewed in twenty four years, I've been taking notes on interviewing techniques and practicing in front of a mirror every day. Now, if I could just snag that interview!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:51 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan815 View Post
I'm so sorry this happened to you. As others said, it could happen to anyone as you can see in my next paragraph. You've received good suggestions. You have to believe that you will do better next time.

I don't know if this is "professional" or not, but a friend of mine who has also been out of work since January went on her first interview this week. She had researched the company, practiced mock interviews in front of a mirror, and practiced questions to ask. When she got in the room with the interviewer, she froze and couldn't even introduce herself. After a few minutes, she looked the interviewer in the eye, confessed it was her first interview in over twenty years and she was not only nervous but out of practice and asked for the interviewer's patience because she really was a good fit for the position. From what she told me, the interview went good even though she had to hesitate a few times before answering questions. Maybe honesty up front when you feel yourself freeze is ok. I have no idea. Just thought I'd share this. Perhaps someone more experienced in interviewing can comment. Since I am in the same situation as my friend, downsized since January and haven't interviewed in twenty four years, I've been taking notes on interviewing techniques and practicing in front o

f a mirror every day. Now, if I could just snag that interview!
Great advice, Susan.

To DummyinAustin: I have "blown" MANY interviews over the course of my lifetime....as have a lot of smart people! You need to remember that getting a job is a "numbers game" and keep moving. Keep applying and move on to the next job opening.

You just got nervous. You don't need "remedial interviewing 101." Try Susan's approach outlined above if something like this happens again. Some interviewers are more "human" than you think. And for those that aren't -- well, you don't want to work for them anyway, even in an economy like this!! Nasty employers eventually find a way to throw nice people "under the bus," even if they manage to hire them initially.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,640 times
Ha I would have said "whoa haha what kind of simple question is that? ok lets see here i been unemployed for some time here so bear with me.. haha.. ok well this is that and so really that is this so there u go"

but u know, the world hasn't ended so don't worry, if it taking to long there are always afghanistan korea iraq and pakistan or pyramid schemes out there to join (laughs)... or u can sell everything move out the country and start over

Old 11-09-2009, 07:02 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,735 times
Just pull up your boot straps and press on. Like Ross told Rachel on Friends: "You are going to go on like a thousand interviews before you get a job." Get 'em next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search