Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 03:11 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times

Advertisements

here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAbCoNIAzL4

If you decide to hire employees here is what you have to deal with:

Minimum wage
Working time (is the person getting paid for the hours they work)
Health and Safety conditions of the workplace
anti-discrimination
unfair dismissal

blah blah blah on and on....

If you violate any of these laws you might be sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars. All of these regulations add cost to the bottom line of the company. First, you have to be compliant with all of these regulations. That might be time spent reviewing the labor laws or hiring an attorney to advise you. For most, labor law is viewed as a savior to the working class. However, if no one is willing to hire you because the cost of employing someone is too high. Labor law does you no good, it leaves you destitute on the streets.

Of course, business is very smart and innovative. Entrepreneurs are in a constant battle of survival. If they don't cut costs effectively, they go out of business.

US business has learned to adapt to the growth of employment law. Manufacturers ship their operations to china which provide little to no protection for workers and as a result, manufacturing businesses in china have little to worry about in regards to labor lawsuits. Meanwhile service businesses outsource their labor needs to India, a country where there is an abundance of highly educated workers who speak english.

If you are a US business it is a much better idea to hire a 1099 contractor or another business (ie. employment agency) to staff my operations. It is much better to put your product on the self of wal-mart rather than open up a store to sell your products.

and now we are at a point when the economy is crisis, we have been losing millions or jobs and thats on top of the top of the billions spent by obama WITH THE SOLE INTENTION OF CREATING JOBS FAST.

Obviously, employers know they have options in regards to where their products are created. It is soooooooooooooo easy to outsource operations to china or india especially with the internet. No need to hire americans anymore. America right now is just a great place to sell your garbage and thats only because we have wealth built up. Who knows how long that will last though. Once there is more money to be made in the middle east, china, india everyone will be scrambling to tap those markets to sell their products there instead of the US.

Anyone who is unemployed, good luck. The only jobs left are the minimum wage jobs selling crap at wal-mart and those jobs will only exist until wal-mart decides to put RFID bar codes on their products. No need for millions of employees when you have automatic RFID self-check outs. You'll only need a couple security guards to make sure there is no theft and at night you'll need stock boys to refill the selfs (hell, you can make the truck driver or security guards do it). Add in a couple customer service reps and thats all you need to run the whole place. All of the security cameras will be monitored by people in india.

Have a gander at this guys:

Median Salary by Employer Type (http://www.payscale.com/research/IN/Country=India/Salary/by_Employer_Type - broken link)
http://www.payscale.com/chart/92/Median-Salary-by-Employer-Type---Country-India-India_V_INR_20091029123228-v2.0.jpg (broken link)

100,000 R$ = 2,121 USD. Remember those are salaries PER YEAR. So someone working for the federal government is india makes on average 300,000 Rs$ per year, thats 6,363$ USD or 530$ per month. If you work for a school, you make half that or 250$ USD per month.

Last edited by killer2021; 11-05-2009 at 03:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:04 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Some people are still hiring.

I see new people in my apartment complex every week. They move in from out of state, they go to work every day. I wonder how someone from Texas, NJ, whatever gets a job here, is about 65 years old (one of my new neighbors) and is already 'assimilated' while I can't get anything and I have been here 2 damn years. Is she working at Walmart? I have no clue.

All I know is I walk around this place and think I have to get the hell out of here because I am too young to live like an old age pensioner with no money and nothing to do but watch what the damn neighbors are doing.

Any calls I get are for evening and night work and because of our situation, I can't do it so yeah, it sucks big time.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:00 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Gypsy Soul, it sounds like it's your situation, but still it is very tough out there.

As for the OP, so what you are saying is that instead we should be a "Third World" country where people are exploited, work all day for almost nothing and still have to live on the street (or sell drugs or themselves on the black market in order to have enough money for more than just basic food)?

Times are tough, but I don't think going back to the Stone Age is the answer.....

As for RFID checkouts, I try to avoid them unless I'm in a real hurry since I know I'm keeping someone employed. And I can tell you from experience that until the day comes where they do not screw up half the time (or the older less tech savvy generation doesn' get befuddled with them) and someone needs to go over and "fix" them, they won't become the norm.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Let's not forget the TAX and TRADE bill which will make it much much much more expensive to produce something in this country. Unless of course you can create a widget or run a factory without using any energy.

Why our congress wants to pass that is beyond me. Manufacturing is already in the gutter.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 AM

109 posts, read 364,334 times
The loss of US jobs has nothing to with employment laws. Those laws are there to protect employers as well as employees. There has been a steady loss of all kinds of manufacturing jobs to other countries for the last 15 years. Manufacturing jobs were the bread and butter of America. I stopped shopping at Wal-mart and boycott any product stamped "Made in China". Yup, I buy less but I actually helping support AMERICAN companies. That is a better solution and if more people sacrificed to buy "Made in USA" then it would better help the companies that are here.

I have to work for myself because I am both overqualified and underqualified at the same time. I couldn't get a minimum wage job even to save my life. Former retail managers don't get hired to be cashiers.

Greedy companies in general hurts every US citizen. That's what created the economic mess. It will get worse before people get the hint that endless buying (or buying above one's income) doesn't improve anything.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
Gypsy, I feel like you today. And remember, I moved back to my home town a few years ago and am in a large metroplitan area. Just last week a 65 year old woman was hired at a bank and under conditions that just about break all of the employment "rules". Number 1 -- age. Number 2 -- had already retired and started a small business. Number 3 -- reason for seeking employment at the bank? To pump money into the small business so that it will "be around when things come back". I know individuals in their forties who were currently employed in the industry and applied repeatedly at this location with no success. All I get offered are the bottom of the barrel "joblets" (they don't even merit the label job) that no one else wants.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
While we have been losing jobs to overseas contract companies... another part of the problem was that we had too many jobs to start with. It will be a long long time before we have the same amount of employed Americans as before this economic downturn. And when we do hit that number again, unemployment might still be at 10%.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:52 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Maybe the answer is stop buying junk from abroad. Look around your house and see all the junk we all have that is made in Mexico, made in China. The new one I see are clothes made in Pakistan. I don't agree with Pakistan's policies, so I don't really want to buy clothes that benefit them or their economy.

Time to fight back and try to buy locally (if we can afford it) or buy American.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Again, going back to the Stone Age is not the answer, but something is going to have to give. I can't imagine it being pretty if a significant amount of Americans are "permanently unemployable". I'm not "right wing" at all, but even I see that we can't run deficits and dole out UI forever......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search